Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from IAD to PHL?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Best way from IAD to PHL?

It sounds like an odd question but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from IAD to PHL. Yes, there is the obvious answer of "fly", but a one-way nonstop flight is $350. I'm trying to find a cheaper option that doesn't require a day-long odyssey.

The situation is that I'll be at a Dulles Airport area hotel attending a seminar on Friday 5/16. I'd like to get to downtown Philadelphia on Friday night. There's no specific time I need to arrive in Philly though I would like to get to my hotel before midnight on general principles.

It looks like the best route using transit would be shuttle from hotel to IAD, 5a bus to Rosslyn, Metro to Union Station, regional or Acela train to 30th Street Station, taxi to hotel. I estimate it would cost $50-80 and require about 4 hours.

I could also rent a car one-way from IAD to PHL. It looks like it will cost around $80. At the moment I think that's my best option. It's a fraction of the price of flying, and should be a bit faster than the buses-and-trains route if I wait until after dinner for rush hour traffic to die down.

What do you think?

Last edited by darthbimmer; Apr 9, 2014 at 9:12 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I'm a big fan of Amtrak. It certainly depends on what time you will start driving. Rush hour around D.C. starts at 2:30pm and lasts until 7pm. For real.

I'm not sure a car is going to save you any time as you still have to pick up, return and refuel it. Plus you can probably take another train from 30th street to right near your hotel (if you are in center city). And of course, you can sit and relax on the train without having to drive on I-95.

After this I will declare you a PUBLIC TRANSIT HERO!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:02 pm

Dulles is really transit-unfriendly. I'd never suggest driving if it were DCA or BWI, but from Dulles, driving really probably is your best bet.

You also might look at trying to get yourself to a VRE station as a transit option (VRE goes direct to Union Station), but I suspect you'd have to cab to get to one.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cab or Uber from seminar to Union Station, train to Philadelphia (forget the Acela, it's about 5 minutes faster), cab to Philadelphia location.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Cab or Uber from seminar to Union Station, train to Philadelphia (forget the Acela, it's about 5 minutes faster), cab to Philadelphia location.
What would a cab or Uber car from IAD to Union Station cost? From rates on Uber's site I estimate they'd run about $50. Anyone with experience on this route?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
What would a cab or Uber car from IAD to Union Station cost? From rates on Uber's site I estimate they'd run about $50. Anyone with experience on this route?
From IAD, it's a flat rate of $65 for Uber X (If you can find one out in the boonies...) or $80 for Uber Black (Usually a few hanging out at the gas station or the cell phone lot). Washington Flyer Taxis are also an option, but will likely be about the same price for a crappy car with surly service and a driver who will inevitably get lost.

Last edited by brendog; Apr 9, 2014 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:23 am

Amtrak from Union Station is likely your best bet. Driving on a Friday afternoon/evening is anyone's guess as to how long it will take, especially with the various construction zones along the route. It could be 3 hours or 6 hours.

However, you will want to jump on Amtrak soon. The Acela one ways can easily be $150+.

I wonder how much a one way car rental from IAD to Union Station is? Otherwise I would probably go with Uber to Union.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It sounds like an odd question but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from IAD to PHL. Yes, there is the obvious answer of "fly", but a one-way nonstop flight is $350. I'm trying to find a cheaper option that doesn't require a day-long odyssey.

The situation is that I'll be at a Dulles Airport area hotel attending a seminar on Friday 5/12. I'd like to get to downtown Philadelphia on Friday night. There's no specific time I need to arrive in Philly though I would like to get to my hotel before midnight on general principles.

It looks like the best route using transit would be shuttle from hotel to IAD, 5a bus to Rosslyn, Metro to Union Station, regional or Acela train to 30th Street Station, taxi to hotel. I estimate it would cost $50-80 and require about 4 hours.

I could also rent a car one-way from IAD to PHL. It looks like it will cost around $80. At the moment I think that's my best option. It's a fraction of the price of flying, and should be a bit faster than the buses-and-trains route if I wait until after dinner for rush hour traffic to die down.

What do you think?
Dont forget there are tolls, and gas refueling as another poster mentioned, unless you prepay for full tank. You'll only use half or so.

I'd go with the Washington Flyer outside of IAD to West Falls Church Metro station. It runs every 30 minutes.
http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

From that station,go to Union station to get on Amtrak to 30th Street/Philly to curbside taxi to downtown hotel. I don't have experience with the 5a bus to Rossyln. It might be better over the Washington Flyer.

Last edited by rtalk25; Apr 9, 2014 at 6:59 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nova08
I wonder how much a one way car rental from IAD to Union Station is? Otherwise I would probably go with Uber to Union.
I didn't consider that option but I figure that even if the rental car is cheap (which, lately, from IAD it is not) the time required to pick it up, refuel it, and drop it off, makes it a time and money loser relative to both transit and Uber.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
I wonder how much a one way car rental from IAD to Union Station is?
I'd imagine it's pretty much close to the price of a one way rental to Philly.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Anna Phor
I'd imagine it's pretty much close to the price of a one way rental to Philly.
I just did a dummy Avis booking, IAD to Union station next Friday pick up 2pm, drop off 4pm, which should give you plenty of time. A compact or intermediate is an estimated $25 including taxes with toll/gas on top of that, probably no more than another $5-10
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by medichill
Plus you can probably take another train from 30th street to right near your hotel (if you are in center city).
Little known fact: your Amtrak ticket is valid on SEPTA regional rail trains within Center City (between 30th St., Suburban, and Market East). Many hotels are near those stations, particularly the ones near City Hall/Liberty Place or the Convention Center.

Perhaps better known by locals: SEPTA conductors almost never check for tickets from anyone in this stretch.

Originally Posted by rtalk25
I don't have experience with the 5a bus to Rossyln. It might be better over the Washington Flyer.
One choice: the 5A to Rosslyn, then the Blue Line to Alexandria King Street, where you can board an Amtrak train. One fewer transfer than getting to Washington Union Station, but there are fewer trains from ALX than WAS.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
Little known fact: your Amtrak ticket is valid on SEPTA regional rail trains within Center City (between 30th St., Suburban, and Market East). Many hotels are near those stations, particularly the ones near City Hall/Liberty Place or the Convention Center.
That's true, that one can take Amtrak to SEPTA without any cost. But the person would need to do some walking to get to the hotel wherever it is. And Suburban Station and Market East are gritty. Not as downscale as the Erie stop in North Philadelphia, but not like a DC Metro station. And it'll be dark since it's night and most of the area (like stores) will be closed. To minimize the stress, I'd suggest a cab to hotel, from 30th Street station.

Last edited by rtalk25; Apr 13, 2014 at 7:11 am
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I once drove from Dulles (well, the air museum next to it) to my home in Philly on a Friday afternoon. Left at 2 PM, arrived home at 8:30 PM. However you get there, take a mode of transportation that doesn't involve I-95.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paytonc
One choice: the 5A to Rosslyn, then the Blue Line to Alexandria King Street, where you can board an Amtrak train. One fewer transfer than getting to Washington Union Station, but there are fewer trains from ALX than WAS.
Please note that this requires a layover (generally 30 minutes) in WAS to change from diesel to electric.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.