Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD international to domestic transfer question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by manstein58
I am connecting at IAD from NRT to PHL. Only carry on. Three weeks ago TSA wait was 45 plus minutes.

Am I better off terminating at IAD as if it is my final stop then going through regular TSA? Seems to make sense
It can be a crap shoot either way. Given that you only have carry on, you are free to take the ARRIVALS route - ride the mobile lounge to IAB in the Terminal building; use Global Entry (you do have Global Entry?) in Customs for a very fast run through IAB; then use TSA Pre-Check (you do have Pre-Check?) for a quick run through TSA.

PM if you have further questions.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
IAD international to domestic transfer question

Thanks. Have both. Will let you know what happens Saturday
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:58 pm

Note that the TRANSFER operation in the C Concourse does not have Pre-Check at the TSA checkpoint.

If you go to the ARRIVALS Customs operation in the Terminal building, TSA Pre-Check is in the rear of the ticketing level (i.e. upstairs from the arrivals/baggage claim level) in the middle of the terminal.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold
Will be traveling this winter back from SXM to IAD. SInce I have a meeting in NYC the following afternoon, I was able to add a segment to the RT for 12 hours later the following morning. I am planning to take the train back to DC and would prefer to not have to deal with a checked bag up in New York. Since I will be staying at my home that night anyway, am I best off to not check a bag rather than have to potentially deal with Mid-field Customs or short check issues at IAD?

Does anyone have any checked bag experience with overnight Intl to Domestic connections at IAD?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: UA *G MM
You should check the bag to IAD. There shouldn't be a problem with that, especially since your NYC flight is the next day. Official UA policy is that you have to claim the bag for overnight stay even though it is contradicted by an old 13 hour rule. I think you would have a hard time if you wanted to get the bag checked through to NYC.

Originally Posted by criostal
Will be traveling this winter back from SXM to IAD. SInce I have a meeting in NYC the following afternoon, I was able to add a segment to the RT for 12 hours later the following morning. I am planning to take the train back to DC and would prefer to not have to deal with a checked bag up in New York. Since I will be staying at my home that night anyway, am I best off to not check a bag rather than have to potentially deal with Mid-field Customs or short check issues at IAD?

Does anyone have any checked bag experience with overnight Intl to Domestic connections at IAD?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, onePass
How do international - domestic connections work arriving TATL BA departing AA?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MM
I have an odd one for the experts.

Not sure if this belongs on the UA forum but it's rather specific to IAD so here it is:

My wife and I are traveling CPH-IAD in February on SAS. Onward destination is CLE. Here's the catch... we're on C award tickets (Mileage Plus)and UA could only ticket us out of DCA that night, not IAD. However, the agent said we could always ask UA once we get to IAD if they will put us on the flight out of there and not have to make our way over to DCA for the "connection". Any idea if they will do this assuming there are two seats (Friday afternoon/evening in February)? If yes, is the only option to collect our bags at IAB C&BP and then go to the UA ticket counter and plead our case?

If it matters, we have GE and Gold status on UA. Thanks for any insight and wisdom you can share.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nalismom
How do international - domestic connections work arriving TATL BA departing AA?
There is no real "flight connections" path for this. As a BA arriving passenger, you will process through CBP at the International Arrivals Building. If you have luggage you will drop it at the bag from outside Customs and retrieve it at your final destination.

You will then head over to the security checkpoint, clear that and head out to your AA gate just as though you had walked into the airport not having arrived from overseas.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Note that the TRANSFER operation in the C Concourse does not have Pre-Check at the TSA checkpoint.

If you go to the ARRIVALS Customs operation in the Terminal building, TSA Pre-Check is in the rear of the ticketing level (i.e. upstairs from the arrivals/baggage claim level) in the middle of the terminal.
I assume there are no plans for Pre-check at the Transfer security?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by c1mth0g
I assume there are no plans for Pre-check at the Transfer security?
No plans for Pre-Check as there is very little space right now for TSA.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 am

The problem is that they use body scanners for nearly all passengers, which slows things down. When I had the misfortune of going through there then the only people who did not get scanned shared the same skin coloration as the TSA worker.

There is plenty of room for a special Pre-check line. I think the mentality is that they don't scan boarding passes (this would not be a bottle neck there due to the use of scanners) so therefore no Pre-check. However, they could set up a line with Pre-check and just demand that these passengers scan or show their BPs.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With TSA's plans to expand the pre-check type inspection to 85% of passengers, this issue will likely be taken care of as the number of "regular" pax declines. Needless to say, because of the nature of that specific checkpoint, there will also likely be a larger percentage of individuals arriving without pre-check eligibility, even as pre-check expands no non-USN's.

The broader problem is that nobody wants to acknowledge the reality that the C concourse is far from "temporary" and while there may be a vision to build a new terminal, it is more of an hallucination than a vision.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:22 am

Most of these passengers have gone through EU security. The EU recognizes US security so, as long as layout allows for it like MUC, then you don't go through security in the EU. The US should reciprocate.

It's ridiculous to subject these passenger to the full body scan. At SEA the connecting security is quite smooth without any body scanners.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:13 am

2 Tickets 2 Airlines

I'm flying KLM from Amsterdam to Raleigh-Durham via Dulles airport. My flight from Dulles to Raleigh-Durham is on United. I have two separate tickets. Does United have an agent at the IAB to print a baggage tag and recheck the bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.