Wiki Posts
Search

IAD "Diamond" TSA Checkpoint to close

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
IAD "Diamond" TSA Checkpoint to close

Word is that the TSA checkpoint (formerly known as the "Diamond" checkpoint) on the Baggage Level next to Claim 8 will close permanently on or about 9/6/12.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Thanks for the info. Any reason given?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Possibly something to do with Pre-Check startup. But the details haven't been revealed yet.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Possibly something to do with Pre-Check startup. But the details haven't been revealed yet.
Being separate from the other checkpoints and largely unknown, this checkpoint would be an excellent location for PreCheck.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 14940674
Being separate from the other checkpoints and largely unknown, this checkpoint would be an excellent location for PreCheck.
PreCheck will be upstairs on main level according to TSA agents. They are currently building it out.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by heffa
PreCheck will be upstairs on main level according to TSA agents. They are currently building it out.
Did they make any indication as to why they are creating a new, upstairs checkpoint, rather than simply converting the current Diamond checkpoint into PreCheck configuration?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
So if I'm flying out in F what checkpoint can I use now?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by heffa
Originally Posted by 14940674
Did they make any indication as to why they are creating a new, upstairs checkpoint, rather than simply converting the current Diamond checkpoint into PreCheck configuration?
They probably want the same kind of setup as of other airports. Even with PreCheck one doesn't get that all the times, and if that's the case then TSA can send you back to the regular [upstairs] security line.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Talked to the guard there today - it closes tomorrow, still no word
on what it's to become if anything.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Was told the TSA pre-check is to open Sep 25.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by violist
Talked to the guard there today - it closes tomorrow, still no word
on what it's to become if anything.
it's closed. walked by it today after arrival, and it gas been stripped of all equipment.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL
Lovely. Now that they have made a complete mess of security in the "modernized" area, I will plan on ca 15 min in line on good days (no pre-check for me - sigh). The other issue is that this screening area was used for, uh, special groups like 40 teens on their way to Europe with the swimming coach. Now these folks will end up piling into the regular lines creating further chaos. It almost makes me long for the days of 50-yard hikes from one end of the building to the other and back again prior to the modernization.......
Old May 14, 2013, 7:57 am

I'm flying out of IAD today on business for the first time in a while (DCA has become my airport of choice now that I live in Alexandria) and was looking to see if this lane was still open. The news is disappointing.

Onward with the rest of the herd...
Old May 15, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joc111
I'm flying out of IAD today on business for the first time in a while (DCA has become my airport of choice now that I live in Alexandria) and was looking to see if this lane was still open. The news is disappointing.
The old Diamond lane closed many months ago.

If you are flying Business or First (or have certain status levels) you can follow the signs for Premium Passengers to avoid the long part of the TSA security queue. The best deal going now is TSA Pre-Check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.