Wiki Posts
Search

Fog stops several flights from landing into DC area

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, UA 1P, Hyatt Passport Diamond, SPG Gold
Fog stops several flights from landing into DC area

Well, I'm sitting here in the plane waiting on refuel in Harrisburg, PA since fog into the DC area stopped our flight from MSP to DCA from landing. And we're not alone since I'm looking outside the window and see a United and US Airways flight that got rerouted to here too.

They did at least let us off the plane so we could use the restroom and get food.

Did not expect this to happen since I was on my way back from LAS using a 12:45 am red eye to make it back to DCA via MSP by 11 am and I would go into work for a half day. So, it looks like I'm taking the rest of the day off. It's now about 1pm and we have been cleared to fly back into the DC area now.

Just out of curiosity, since this is an overstop, does anything happen like we get awarded extra miles since they had to reroute to a different location before going to our destination?

Also, what kind of stories do you guys have when it comes to situations similar to this?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by aquastar831
Just out of curiosity, since this is an overstop, does anything happen like we get awarded extra miles since they had to reroute to a different location before going to our destination?
Unless your flight number is somehow changed, it is unlikely.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:00 am

It's WX, they let you off the plane. I don't think you'll get much. It's just one of those things that can happen. Typically only the largest international planes have the instrumentation to land in these situations.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, *wood-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, HH-Silver, Frontier-Ascent, Hertz-Prez0
It's no picnic sitting here in DCA all morning either, everyone is annoyed, a few flights were canceled because of this fog. No help and no love from overloaded gate agents, who are obviously trying hard
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I was on NW NW 2252 (MEM-DCA) last night and after an aborted landing was diverted to BWI. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention, but we were very close to the ground and suddenly the nose pitched up very rapidly as the pilot applied full thrust. The plane kind of struggled a bit; it didn't feel like we were gaining altitude at all. After about 10 seconds, it felt like were regaining altitude again; this was my second aborted landing and was a bit more unsettling than the last. We circled around for a bit, waiting to see if the fog would clear some. The pilot mentioned possible diversion to Norfolk or Baltimore. Ended up at BWI about 15 mins later. Delta organized buses for people who wanted a ride to DCA, I had my ride come grab me at BWI. Got home about 2 hours later than planned.

At least one other Delta flight was diverted to BWI last night.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Update: We're still stuck here in Harrisburg, now for another reason. Apparently, they didn't have the "trowbar"(?) for us to get us out onto the runway. We are now on "indefinite" delay status. We're stuck on the plane this time and cannot deplane.

Laughter in frustration ensued and we are waiting once again. Didn't get upgrade to First this flight since I was number 29 on the upgrade list. Yep, there were A LOT of Medallions on this early morning flight.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
Yeah, even just driving around DC/NoVA, it was -really- thick last night crossing 395.. a little bit better this morning, but I guess not enough to fly in.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Update: We're still stuck here in Harrisburg, now for another reason. Apparently, they didn't have the "trowbar"(?) for us to get us out onto the runway. We are now on "indefinite" delay status. We're stuck on the plane this time and cannot deplane.
Oops... Somebody should have thought about that before pulling up to the gate.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
I live in a building overlooking DCA and I can tell you that both last night and this morning the fog was extremely thick at DCA.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Made it home safe and sound. So the end of the story on my end is that we ended up leaving Harrisburg at 1:45 pm and got in at about 2:30 pm. On the "trowbar" issue, I think they ended up borrowing one from one of the UPS planes that was nearby. About 4 hours off schedule since we were originally set to come in at 10:45 am. Called out from my workplace since it wouldn't have been worth to come into work for 2 hours.

Still, the weekend Vegas trip was so worth it, and I'm going back on the 29th through New Year's and coming back on the 2nd on another red eye flight.

I noticed some of you posting on the taking off end. Quite an interesting late Sunday night/Monday morning for several of us, huh?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Made it home safe and sound. So the end of the story on my end is that we ended up leaving Harrisburg at 1:45 pm and got in at about 2:30 pm. On the "trowbar" issue, I think they ended up borrowing one from one of the UPS planes that was nearby. About 4 hours off schedule since we were originally set to come in at 10:45 am. Called out from my workplace since it wouldn't have been worth to come into work for 2 hours.

Still, the weekend Vegas trip was so worth it, and I'm going back on the 29th through New Year's and coming back on the 2nd on another red eye flight.

I noticed some of you posting on the taking off end. Quite an interesting late Sunday night/Monday morning for several of us, huh?
I think this is typical of what happened (flight status for first DTW/DCA flight).

Bob H
-------------
Departs: Detroit-Wayne County Int'l, MI (DTW)
Arrives: Baltimore/Washington-Int'l, MD (BWI)
Departure Date: December 14
Arrival Date: December 14
Scheduled: 7:10AM
Scheduled:
Actual: 7:10AM
Actual: 9:24AM
Gate: A75
Gate: C13
Aircraft: A320
Weather: BWI

Get status notification for this flight >

FLIGHT: 2360

Departs: Baltimore/Washington-Int'l, MD (BWI)
Arrives: Washington-Reagan National, DC (DCA)
Departure Date: December 14
Arrival Date: December 14
Scheduled:
Scheduled: 8:45AM
Actual: 10:26AM
Actual: 12:24PM
Gate:
Gate: 2
Aircraft: A320
Weather: DCA
-------------
Get status notification for this flight >
Note: Diversion/delay due to enroute weather conditions.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
I was out of PNS this morning, my original flight got cancelled, was rebooked, but then that was delayed also. I think I did the smart thing and redid my flight leaving tomorrow cuz I just checked DL website and seems EVERY flight out of PNS was cancelled today.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by amps
I was out of PNS this morning, my original flight got cancelled, was rebooked, but then that was delayed also. I think I did the smart thing and redid my flight leaving tomorrow cuz I just checked DL website and seems EVERY flight out of PNS was cancelled today.
Yup. I was lucky enough to be on the ONLY DL flight to land at PNS this morning. The flight schedule before mine (left ATL approx. the same time) diverted to BHM, the rest didn't take off from ATL. I left from DCA, so I guess I was lucky on both ends.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:50 pm

71 DL Mainline cancellations into/out-of ATL so far today...

~95 DCI cancellations into and out of ATL today.

Not fun. Expect significant crew rest delays for operational restart on Tuesday, 15 DEC.

-b-
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by DLBeno
71 DL Mainline cancellations into/out-of ATL so far today...

~95 DCI cancellations into and out of ATL today.

Not fun. Expect significant crew rest delays for operational restart on Tuesday, 15 DEC.

-b-
You figured they've had enough rest by not flying anywhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.