Getting to Tijuana Hotel from SAN flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, AA Gold, USAIR Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold

I did a search and saw nothing on this. I have to go to TJ for a business meeting but looks like much better option on flights is to go into SAN. I am sure there are car services, taxis, and even saw a trolley to take me there, i am looking for insight on how much time to allow and any recommended car services.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:23 am
Community Director Emerita

I think you would need to take transportation to the border, then walk across, and get a taxi on the other side. One way to do it is to go from the SAN airport to the Amtrak station, about 1 mile away. There, get on the San Diego trolley. It goes to the border.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: DL GM
It is a $60 taxi from SAN to the San Ysidro Border Crossing. Or you can rent a car at the airport and park it at the border for $7-10/day. Or you can rent a car and drive it into Tijuana (though I would recommend against this if you are unfamiliar with Tijuana and Mexican driving.....and the return to the US by car can be a long wait).

The Trolley will take you to the border but you'll have to pick it up downtown or in Little Italy and take it south to the SAn Ysidro Border Station. A $10 taxi ride can take you to the trolley.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
You're in a difficult bind. As far as I know, there are no car services which would take you from San Diego to Tijuana. In addition, no major rental car company in San Diego will permit their cars to be driven into Mexico and they will be certain to remind you of this at check out. This is primarily due to insurance concerns. Taking a rental car to the border, parking it in a secure lot, and then walking into Mexico is a possibility if you don't have a lot of "stuff" to carry with you. I would call the hotel (I hope you are staying at the Marriott) and ask them for their advice. I guess another possibility would be to fly MX or AM to Mexico City, transferring to Tijuana and then taking a taxi to your hotel. I've used the Tijuana Airport many times and found it to be clean, safe, and easy to navigate. Good luck to you.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr
In addition, no major rental car company in San Diego will permit their cars to be driven into Mexico and they will be certain to remind you of this at check out. This is primarily due to insurance concerns.
Actually some car rental companies in San Diego will allow you to take their cars across the border with purchase, from them, of Mexican auto insurance (averages about US$25 per day additional charge).

Thrifty
Dollar
Avis
Hertz

I used Travelocity to check the Geographic Restrictions terms and conditions for rentals originating at the San Diego airport.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Actually some car rental companies in San Diego will allow you to take their cars across the border with purchase, from them, of Mexican auto insurance (averages about US$25 per day additional charge).

Thrifty
Dollar
Avis
Hertz

I used Travelocity to check the Geographic Restrictions terms and conditions for rentals originating at the San Diego airport.

Add Fox rental car to that list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.