Those Friendly Mexican Pharmacies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those Friendly Mexican Pharmacies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
Can I get 600 mg ibuprofen OTC in PV? Just ran out of my supply I picked up in Spain.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: Mexicana, Aeromexico, AA, Continental, Fiesta Americana, Mayan Palace, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ddavault
Can I get 600 mg ibuprofen OTC in PV? Just ran out of my supply I picked up in Spain.
Almost certainly.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just stocked up on Cipro and Cyclobenzeprine. Good prices.

Judging from the window signes, it looked like one would have no problems obtaining sleep or virility assistance, either.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
I've purchased most every type of pharmaceutical manufactured while shopping in Tijuana. I've NEVER been asked for any type of documentation when crossing back into the U.S. on foot or by car. The standard fee is $20 for two scripts. Just fork over the cash and the doctor writes the scripts. Doctors with offices in the Santa Teresa Plaza (?) near the arch are the easiest to locate and keep most meds in their offices - no need to go to the farmacia. If you phone ahead, the doctor will have the meds waiting for you and an assistant will take your dollars.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: CO GOLD
I've never found Ambien available in any Mexican pharmacies.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by jefri68
I believe the Mexican equivalent is Soma. I'll be in Tecate on Tuesday and will ask.

Last edited by maltasr; Jun 29, 2008 at 8:44 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just stocked up on Cipro and Cyclobenzeprine. Good prices.

Judging from the window signes, it looked like one would have no problems obtaining sleep or virility assistance, either.
Please talk with your physician about Cipro. Cipro was responsible for extensive kidney damage to a family member. I suggest if you are taking Cipro on a regular basis that you have your kidney function periodically tested.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by jefri68
Same here...and I've tried several, including pharms in Acapulco, Mexico City and Taxco. I finally gave up.
Same results when requesting "Zolpidem Tartrate".
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes, beware of taking Cipro. A family member got a really nasty case of C-Diff after taking Cipro for a bad infection. Nearly fatal!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr
I believe the Mexican equivalent is Soma. I'll be in Tecate on Tuesday and will ask.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be in the DF July 4th and will seek it.
Not sure how chemically similar it is to Zolpidem tartrate, though.
Description 1
Description 2: "Carisoprodol (Soma). This drug’s dosage is 350mg every eight hours as needed for muscle spasm. Soma is typically prescribed on a short-term basis and may be habit-forming, especially if used in conjunction with alcohol or other drugs that act on the mind."
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:07 pm

Does anyone know if the motion sickness patches -- Transderm Scopalamine -- are available OTC, and if so, would they have the same name? Those are wicked expensive for me ($5 a patch), and I prefer to take them on and off on scuba trips (to avoid side effects) rather than leaving them on for three days straight.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:22 pm

My apologies...I had read about Soma and it didn't sound like something I'd want to take instead of Ambien...and so didn't even think about asking this past weekend.
I could've gotten all the Vallium I wanted for an expensive 10 pesos a pill, without Rx. I'm sure it would be cheaper w/ a prescription.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Jul 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:59 pm

Soma is definitely NOT a replacement for Ambien, I have taken both. Ambien doesn't really have other uses as far as I know besides inducing sleep. Soma is used very often for back pain & spasms- among other things- the carisoprodol version available in Mexico I believe will be mixed with a different medicine than available in the US.
On another note I have not had any problem with meds I have brought stateside from either Mexico or Costa Rica in the past- never in large quantities or anything particularly attention grabbing ( never bought any roofies or anything of the sort!)
I will be in PV soon and will probably buy the obligatory Retin-A and maybe some antibiotics to have on hand just in case. I typically buy some Carisoprodol to help with those pains after bending pulling weeds and the push-pull of the pool vacuum.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:20 am

Just pick a pharmacy in a large supermarket, and carry a list of what you need, like other people suggested. Stay away from small shops, and you will be fine.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:32 am

Well, to follow up... when I was in PV I never really found any fabulous deals on meds. We have decent insurance in the states so our co-pays were similar to the prices they were charging there. I did not buy anything because I felt they were giving high prices to us because we were tourists, percieved to be prime targets to rip off....the feeling was the same everywhere we went, just waiting to overcharge us for something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.