Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good tequila to bring back?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Most are 750ml or 1L, so it might be tough to hit 1.14L with two bottles. Can you each bring 1.14L, or is that combined?
Yup, we can each bring 1.14L back. The duties and fees pretty much prevent you from going over unless there's some unique stuff you really want.

Maybe I'll supplement with a couple of mini-bottles for token gifts.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, United EXP, USAir Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Sweet Willie, Depending on the time of year, I am partial to a drink called a Paloma. It is simply ice, tequila blanco and Squirt / Fresca. A little sweet but the grapefruit flavor is nice when the heat is up.

Regarding tequila, a small distellery in Jalisco is Cava Antigua, http://www.cavaantigua.com
They also have an outlet store in Cozumel about two blocks back from the cruise pier.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by mithander
Sweet Willie, Depending on the time of year, I am partial to a drink called a Paloma. It is simply ice, tequila blanco and Squirt / Fresca. A little sweet but the grapefruit flavor is nice when the heat is up.

Regarding tequila, a small distellery in Jalisco is Cava Antigua, http://www.cavaantigua.com
They also have an outlet store in Cozumel about two blocks back from the cruise pier.
Ah! So that is what that drink is called! I drank that almost everyday when I was in Mexico. Yet, I try making them here, but it just doesn't taste as good --- either from the crappy tequila, or the corn syrup sweetened vs. sugar Squirt.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: united, aeromexico, mexicana
Originally Posted by Jay71
Looking suggestions on good tequila to buy and bring back from our trip to Mexico. We can bring back 1.14 litres (40 ounces) duty free back to Canada. I haven't a clue what good tequila goes for in Mexico. Off the top of my head I'd like to keep it sub $50 unless you can twist my arm otherwise. Any suggestions?

TIA.
If you would like to try it straigth go for REPOSADOS

Cuervo especial(stripped bottle)
Corralejo(blue bottle)
Cazadores
Agave azul

some of this is what people in mexico drink, straight usually

aejos is too much for some tastes

silvers are for outsiders and bartenders
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
welcome to Flyertalk jr1000
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
I am a big Don Julio 1942 fan ^
Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: US,HH
I'm also on board with the 1942 Don Julio. Brings back wonderful memories of the pool at Palmilla.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
No doubt about it: Herradura Reposado is the best. It may cost you a bit more than $50 per litre but it's well worth it. Look for the bottle with the red horseshoe on the label.

Salud!
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:22 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mithander
I can imagine how this would be refreshing in the heat^
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
No doubt about it: Herradura Reposado is the best. It may cost you a bit more than $50 per litre but it's well worth it. Look for the bottle with the red horseshoe on the label.

Salud!
Agreed. Although I can get it in the States, so sometimes it's not worth the hassle.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Just a follow-up to my original post...

I just bought what I could find at Walmart without causing the wife to yammer at me. Hmmm, I probably should have taken a picture of their selection but I forgot. In hindsight, ideally, I should have stopped at Walmart first, got an idea what they had at what prices, and then checked out what shops were selling stuff at. At worst, I could have just headed back to Walmart since it was beside the cruise terminal.

Bottle 1
Jose Cuervo Tradicional.
Tequila Reposado
100% de Agave Azul
950ml
$225 pesos

Bottle 2
Don Julio
Tequila Reposado
100% de Agave Azul
750ml
$295 pesos
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Is there a Walmart near the airport connected on a metro line?

Want to avoid duty-free assuming it's overpriced.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:59 am

best deal @ Duty Free shops IMO is Centanario.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Got some tequila but noticed the domestic stuff is all 35% ABV while the stuff sold at duty-free (at least 2x as much) is 40%.

Went cheap so got (all reposado, 100% agave):
2 700 ml bottles of Evolucion 501
La Dona 950 ml
El Jimador 750 ml

for a total of MXP 440.

The La Dona came in a boxed 2 glass set for MXP 139, MXP 1 less than the bottle alone. The stocker at Walmart took my bottle from me and insisted I took the glass set for MXP 12 less.

Looks like Micheladas is a popular way to drink tequila (at least at the fast food outlets at MEX T2).

So extra duty taking the overlimit through CanCustoms at YYZ.

FWIW, Mexican security will let you take all the liquids you want through initial screening (WTMD and X-Ray machine) but there are further checks at the gate and they'll get big bottles of liquids there.

If anyone is taking the metro, there's a Walmart almost adjacent to the Nativitas station on Line 2 (blue). 6 stops from Zocalo.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:43 am

flew through mexico city today, they had some new, seemingly holiday themed tequila.

yeah, a lot of people got their liquor confiscated on the pre-boarding hand inspection (put it in check in or buy @ Duty Free).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.