Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: raffe
What we have learned so far in this thread
  • A ATM is called Cajero.
  • When withdrawing money, decline exchange rate: “When the ATM asks you if you would like to accept their exchange rate, click DECLINE!!!!!!!!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. You should always decline their conversion offer and process the transaction normally”. according to https://beachpleasemexico.com/pesos-...in-mexico-atm/
  • Good cajeros are the ones that are owned by the banks, like the bigger ones:
    • Santander
    • Banorte (~45 pesos per transaction)
  • Also
    • Intercam
    • Inbursa
    • CIBanco
    • Banco del Bajío
  • Banks, but higher fees
    • BBVA Bancomer (~100 Pesos per transaction)
    • Scotiabank (partnered with Bank of America)
Print Wikipost

Mexico city ATM best practice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:23 pm

this is my current list. , all bar banregio, have been checked this week

1. Inbursa - 22.04 pesos
2. BanBajio - 23.20 pesos
3. Banca Mifel - 26.68 pesos
4. BanCoppel - 29 pesos
5. CitiBanamex - 30.74 pesos
6. Banco Azteca - 34.80 pesos
7. Santander - 34.80 pesos
8. HSBC - 35.84 pesos
9. Banorte - 58.00 pesos
10. Multiva - 67.28 pesos
11. Banregio - 81.20 pesos
12. BBVA - 174 pesos

my blog #NomadicBackpacker has the latest fees, which i aim to check, weekly, whilst i am still here in mexico
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Nomadic Backpacker
Yeah i read that... but one of these internet bank accounts. dont have any partnerships.... rejects my card fair and square.. but saw it was 100 pesos anyway... i dont need them.
100 Pesos? That's chump change compared to BBVA 174 peso fee😁 I'll be going to Bancoppel next week by the Cuauhtemoc metro. Anymore, I'm trying to save as much as can since so many things have double and tripled in price. I still can't believe that BBVA charges that ridiculous amount to use their ATMs! Also thanks for your most recent fee list. Much appreciated. Safe Journeys to you.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:39 pm

banbajio. is near the bancoppel... its next door to the Santander.... on Chapultepec avenue... going east. 23.20 pesos
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
this is my current list. , all bar banregio, have been checked this week

1. Inbursa - 22.04 pesos
2. BanBajio - 23.20 pesos
3. Banca Mifel - 26.68 pesos
4. BanCoppel - 29 pesos
5. CitiBanamex - 30.74 pesos
6. Banco Azteca - 34.80 pesos
7. Santander - 34.80 pesos
8. HSBC - 35.84 pesos
9. Banorte - 58.00 pesos
10. Multiva - 67.28 pesos
11. Banregio - 81.20 pesos
12. BBVA - 174 pesos

my blog #NomadicBackpacker has the latest fees, which i aim to check, weekly, whilst i am still here in mexico
Today, I tried #2, #7 and #9. Only Banorte worked for me with my "Wise" card. Next time I'll try #4 (BanCoppel).
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Banbajio sometimes doesn't work with visa.... i used mastercard. UK issued..

Santander is fickle/sometimes empty. end of the month syndrome..... use another ATM. mastercard and visa worked ok for me....

Inbursa ATMs dont always work.... especialy the one at the bank on Orizaba.... try the one in Sanborns. at CentroMedico. works with mastercard and visa for me..
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:20 pm

go for banamex...

i tested 4 ATMs that appear on my blog, at CDMX airport. Terminal 1. all the same fee... no mark up just cos its the airport... even the CiBanco had an ATM. 58 pesos.... what happened to the 15? never seem a CiBanco ATM anywhere else... sure, the money changers. but never an ATM
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:46 pm

Banbajio sometimes doesn't work with visa.... i used mastercard. UK issued..

Santander is fickle/sometimes empty. end of the month syndrome..... use another ATM. mastercard and visa worked ok for me....

Inbursa ATMs dont always work.... especialy the one at the bank on Orizaba.... try the one in Sanborns. at CentroMedico. works with mastercard and visa for me..
At Santander I tried two terminals. I use a mastercard Wise Card. I'll try the Citibank which is one block from me. I don't think any of them were empty of cash. people were pulling money out. It wouldn't take my card. I'll let you know when I try again. Thanks again.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:51 pm

yeah i dunno what it is with the ATMs here.... maybe the chip was dirty. or the atm just older... some of the HSBC ones are ancient.. and some say they accept all cards. yet clearly dont
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:42 pm

just a thought, when u r withdrawing money. select CHECKING account....
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:37 pm

just a thought, when u r withdrawing money. select CHECKING account....
I've done that before when I can't withdraw and it still doesn't work. I'll just try Citibank next time and report back. I know one thing, Dubai is the only city I have ran across where you have to select the "Savings" option to withdraw any funds from a debit card. I simply don't like messing around with all the options and then the machine snatches my card because it's finnicky or thinks I'm trying to commit some type of fraud. I would have to fly all the way back to the USA to get a replacement because a new or replacement Wise card has to be received and activated in the country where it's valid. Thank you anyway.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:12 pm

@Nomadic Backpacker

Last week I went to the Citibank on the street behind where I live (like a 2-minute walk) and the process was smooth as silk. The fee was exactly 30.74 pesos. Thanks a bunch for all your help👍

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.