Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: raffe
What we have learned so far in this thread
  • A ATM is called Cajero.
  • When withdrawing money, decline exchange rate: “When the ATM asks you if you would like to accept their exchange rate, click DECLINE!!!!!!!!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. You should always decline their conversion offer and process the transaction normally”. according to https://beachpleasemexico.com/pesos-...in-mexico-atm/
  • Good cajeros are the ones that are owned by the banks, like the bigger ones:
    • Santander
    • Banorte (~45 pesos per transaction)
  • Also
    • Intercam
    • Inbursa
    • CIBanco
    • Banco del Bajío
  • Banks, but higher fees
    • BBVA Bancomer (~100 Pesos per transaction)
    • Scotiabank (partnered with Bank of America)
Print Wikipost

Mexico city ATM best practice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I went to your website and noticed you used the Banorte ATM in Roma Norte on the main strip. That's the exact one I used yesterday. So indeed it has increased. Also they reprogrammed the screens so they are different now.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 1:55 pm

indeed. the Banorte fee is 58.00 pesos. photo'd the proof. have checked 8 of the 11 ATM fees, as on January 29, 2024 and added another one though its not cheap.

see my blog post for all the new details..
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nomadic Backpacker
indeed. the Banorte fee is 58.00 pesos. photo'd the proof. have checked 8 of the 11 ATM fees, as on January 29, 2024 and added another one though its not cheap.

see my blog post for all the new details..
Thanks Nomadic Backpacker. Looks like I'll start going to citibanc or santander again. I noticed you had an article on the cheap grocery stores in CDMX. I've use most of them before. And the one does have cheap beer😁
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:09 pm

I like the bancoppel atm. very easy.... quite a few of them.... the one in Roma Norte is near the Radio Shack at the north end of Cuauhtémoc, next to the Metrobus station. very near BanBaij and Santander too. the best inbursa is at centro medico.

u ever used Scotiabank? supposedly its 100 pesos BUT i try to use one on Baja Califormia. and on Reforma last week... both said. UNABLE TO CONNECT WITH YOUR BANK.

3B Carta Blanca 6 pkt. just 54 pesos on Saturday. ..
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:18 pm

I've tried Scotiabank but the fee is too high, my card worked. Santander would work in Cabo but not here in CDMX. A different card works at Santander though.

I'll try Coppel ATM next time. I was over there yesterday.

Thanks again for the information and tips.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:46 pm

i think sometimes the ATMs are just empty and reject the card . Santander rejected my card. went to another ATM and was ok.

Multiva only seems to accept my visa card and not my mastercard, the INBURSA bank atm on Orizaba never works for me, the banbajio should work with visa but rejected my attempt.

have you experienced different fees depending on where u r? i'll have to go to the airport and check the ATMs there to see if the reports of higher fees are just hogwash
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:05 pm

So far, I haven't used any ATM terminals at the airport so I have no clue if the fees are higher. I've used one of the money exchange vendors because I needed money and I couldn't use my card back then when I first arrived to Mexico.

At least for me when the terminal rejects my request it has money because other people use it after me. It's just finicky. I used to go to BBVA all the time when it was about 80peso fee and one time it didn't work for me and other people were using the same terminal. That's before I started checking out other ATMs. I'll check out some of the other ATMs you listed but I never use stand alone terminals no matter where I'm located. They need to be attached to a bank.

If you go to the airport and plan on testing out a few machined, please come back and let us know.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:24 pm

Multivas are only ever stand alone ATMs. Bancoppel has a small bank there as does Sanborns (centro medico)..

banorte swallowed my card once and was told,ATMs these days immediately destroy swallowed cards for security reasons.

i use a mastercard debit card with just £1 on it to test ATMs. if i lose the card. i'll cancel the account.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:29 pm

I don't use stand alone units due to the high risk of fraud. It can happen to all ATMs but I like the ones under the bank's control. Of course I always check the machine before I use it.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:59 pm

i used/checked Santander and Banamex at terminal 1 cdmx airport..... both have the same fees as down town...no mark up.

also. there is a CiBanco ATM. they used to be a finance house and money exchange. . most CiBanks dont have ATMs... i never saw any BUT. in terminal 1 at cdmx airport there is one. 58 pesos..... as of today.

all other ATM fees across roma norte/condesa/gringolandia are still the same fees. as of this week.,.. have been checking them. no increases.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Nomadic Backpacker
i used/checked Santander and Banamex at terminal 1 cdmx airport..... both have the same fees as down town...no mark up.

also. there is a CiBanco ATM. they used to be a finance house and money exchange. . most CiBanks dont have ATMs... i never saw any BUT. in terminal 1 at cdmx airport there is one. 58 pesos..... as of today.

all other ATM fees across roma norte/condesa/gringolandia are still the same fees. as of this week.,.. have been checking them. no increases.
Does CiBanco accept foreign cards? I feel like I tried their machines before (several years ago) but couldn't get the transaction to go through.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:02 pm

yes i used a UK-issued Mastercard debit card with CiBanco. of course i didnt take out money. but the DO YOU ACCEPT THE FEE. is the last stage. ... if the ATM rejects my card, it ejects my card my card straight away

interestingly, Scotiabank never worked for me, and Multiva does like my mastercards...
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: AM, UA, AA
Scotiabank has a partnership with some banks https://www.scotiabank.com.mx/servic...za-global.aspx
They don't charge any fees
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:15 pm

Yeah i read that... but one of these internet bank accounts. dont have any partnerships.... rejects my card fair and square.. but saw it was 100 pesos anyway... i dont need them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.