Search

First time to Mexico City. Help?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
First time to Mexico City. Help?

I'm looking to make a first-ever trip to Mexico City for a couple of days. I'm trying to have as few pesos as possible but I do know I'll need them to buy and load a transit card. Any tips for a first-timer going to Mexico City and using the subway station? Cost of a transit card?

For my flight out of Mexico City, it'll be with UA at about 5:40 AM. I plan to stay at the Hyatt Regency Mexico City. I intend to check out at 4 PM as I'm a Globalist. I'll probably leave my bag at the hotel while I spend the evening shopping or walking around. What time is the last train to the airport? Any lounges in the early hours of the day? Can I check my bag in for a flight that early? What is there to do at the airport from about 11 PM to roughly 3 AM?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:08 am

I'm assuming you'll be travelling in and out of Terminal 1 (correct me if I'm wrong).

The metro station is at the far end of the building. Basically walk all the way to exit 1 and then keep on going along the walkway. The metro station, Terminal Aerea, is at the very far end of the sidewalk. Cto. Interior - Google Maps

The station itself is rather dimly lit, there's a machine to recharge your card (or to emit a new one, though I failed at both attempts) or a hole-in-the-wall to buy tickets, which is what I've done.

Personally, with hindsight, I'd rather not use the metro there and indeed after my first ride I didn't. If you're Caucasian/not Latino you'll stand out and on my first ride in there were at least two pickpocket attempts on me. Both were rather clumsy, so much so that I thought they were running a pickpocket training school, but later I heard similar stories from many people. I've since then used Uber, with Uber X being very cheap and readily available.
lsquare and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
I'm assuming you'll be travelling in and out of Terminal 1 (correct me if I'm wrong).

The metro station is at the far end of the building. Basically walk all the way to exit 1 and then keep on going along the walkway. The metro station, Terminal Aerea, is at the very far end of the sidewalk. Cto. Interior - Google Maps

The station itself is rather dimly lit, there's a machine to recharge your card (or to emit a new one, though I failed at both attempts) or a hole-in-the-wall to buy tickets, which is what I've done.

Personally, with hindsight, I'd rather not use the metro there and indeed after my first ride I didn't. If you're Caucasian/not Latino you'll stand out and on my first ride in there were at least two pickpocket attempts on me. Both were rather clumsy, so much so that I thought they were running a pickpocket training school, but later I heard similar stories from many people. I've since then used Uber, with Uber X being very cheap and readily available.
Yes, I just looked at some of the flights and they fly in and out of T1.

Did you buy a transit card? Easy to do? Did you use a lot of cash or can you survive mainly on credit cards?

I'm still trying to figure out a plan for a 5:40 AM flight out of MEX.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes, I just looked at some of the flights and they fly in and out of T1.

Did you buy a transit card? Easy to do? Did you use a lot of cash or can you survive mainly on credit cards?

I'm still trying to figure out a plan for a 5:40 AM flight out of MEX.
As I said, I tried to buy a card but didn't work out and bought a few tickets.

If you're flying out at an early hour I'd either get with a Uber or sleep in an airport hotel. There's a Hilton and a Marriott with direct walkways to the terminal.
lsquare and Tanic like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
As I said, I tried to buy a card but didn't work out and bought a few tickets.

If you're flying out at an early hour I'd either get with a Uber or sleep in an airport hotel. There's a Hilton and a Marriott with direct walkways to the terminal.
For my flight out of Mexico City, it'll be with UA at about 5:40 AM. I plan to stay at the Hyatt Regency Mexico City. I intend to check out at 4 PM as I'm a Globalist. I'll probably leave my bag at the hotel while I spend the evening shopping or walking around. What time is the last train to the airport? Any lounges in the early hours of the day? Can I check my bag in for a flight that early? What is there to do at the airport from about 11 PM to roughly 3 AM?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:07 am

I'll give it another go.

If I were you, I'd not spend the night out wandering in CDMX. I've been told by plenty of locals not to walk three blocks after dark. And I've had two attempted pickpockets on a relatively short journey on the metro at 7AM. I'd not take the metro in the evening if I weren't a local, or looked like one. I loved my time in CDMX, I really found it a great city with a great people, but if everyone I know who's a local tells me to have my wits about me and to avoid walking around at night... I'd take heed. So, again, I'd warmly recommend against wandering around at night or taking a late train. Use an Uber: it's safe, never costed me more than 11$, and they're everywhere.

MEX T1 is threadbare, no disrespect to anyone but it's not an airport I'd like to spend too much time in. Landside there's a food court you could hang around in but it's not particularly comfy, it's very noisy and above all there are constant announcements. Airside there are lounges (didn't use them) but the rest of the terminal is one big corridor with not much seating.

If I were you I'd check out of the Hyatt, have dinner or whatever, grab a Uber to the airport, check in the Marriott Courtyard or the Hilton, have a decent night's sleep and then take your flight. You need another night in a hotel, but you save on the risk of being mugged or worse.
lsquare, TWA884 and Tanic like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
First off, the "METRO" does not go straight from the Polanco area of the Hyatt Regency hotel to the airport. You will be transferring twice and end up on the "METRO BUS" that goes to the airport.

Mexico City airport is pretty much like airport at night. There may be a few lounges open, and some restaurants and coffee shops.

You'll be boarding before the departure time, so you can deduct that time.

Terminal 1 appears more dark and older than terminal 2, but there's bars and restaurants in both terminals and the Marriott hotel has a few bars and restaurants.

Like with anywhere, if you look like a walking target then you will be one. Wear regular unbranded clothing and shoes and keep your electronics on lockdown and secured and you won't have any safety or security issues. The same applies for any country.

Take an Uber to the airport. Carrying luggage around on public transportation that late at night screams... everything I brought on my trip is with me right now.

I live in Mexico City and have never been a victim of any crime because i take simple precautions, like I do anywhere. I see stupid tourists all the time, I do...and they wonder why they become a victim of crime. They walk around with their heads buried in their phones using Google maps while walking around totally unaware of their surroundings, and looking around like they're lost. And the color of a person doesn't make them more of a target. The locals of all colors are robbed just as much when they don't take precautions. Overall, Mexico City is safe if you use common sense. And it's one of the best cities in the world, that you will discover when you come.
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Jul 8, 2022 at 6:57 am
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
...and the transit card is less than $1.00 USD, and the fare is equivalent to about $0.25 USD. Transportation in CDMX including Uber and other ride sharing programs is very cheap compared to most major cities of the world.

I would suggest you read up on Mexico City before you arrive since you have never been before.
Antonio8069 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
First off, the "METRO" does not go straight from the Polanco area of the Hyatt Regency hotel to the airport. You will be transferring twice and end up on the "METRO BUS" that goes to the airport.

Mexico City airport is pretty much like airport at night. There may be a few lounges open, and some restaurants and coffee shops.

You'll be boarding before the departure time, so you can deduct that time.

Terminal 1 appears more dark and older than terminal 2, but there's bars and restaurants in both terminals and the Marriott hotel has a few bars and restaurants.

Like with anywhere, if you look like a walking target then you will be one. Wear regular unbranded clothing and shoes and keep your electronics on lockdown and secured and you won't have any safety or security issues. The same applies for any country.

Take an Uber to the airport. Carrying luggage around on public transportation that late at night screams... everything I brought on my trip is with me right now.

I live in Mexico City and have never been a victim of any crime because i take simple precautions, like I do anywhere. I see stupid tourists all the time, I do...and they wonder why they become a victim of crime. They walk around with their heads buried in their phones using Google maps while walking around totally unaware of their surroundings, and looking around like they're lost. And the color of a person doesn't make them more of a target. The locals of all colors are robbed just as much when they don't take precautions. Overall, Mexico City is safe if you use common sense. And it's one of the best cities in the world, that you will discover when you come.
So there isn't a subway to the airport? I thought there is one.

How much is the Uber from the Hyatt to the airport? I think I'll take the advice from you guys. Don't get me wrong, I don't flash much if any bling when I travel and I've backpacked all over developing countries when I was younger. I do have a decent camera that I do use and a tripod. It's almost like you guys are telling me not to take any late-night photos or else there is a high chance I'll be robbed.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:19 am

How much is the Uber from the Hyatt to the airport? I think I'll take the advice from you guys. Don't get me wrong, I don't flash much if any bling when I travel and I've backpacked all over developing countries when I was younger. I do have a decent camera that I do use and a tripod. It's almost like you guys are telling me not to take any late-night photos or else there is a high chance I'll be robbed.
To find out Uber rates, just go into your Uber app and put in the hotel address under your saved addresses and do a dummy booking from the hyatt to the airport.

No, there's no Metro to the airport DIRECT.

It depends on where you are and what time it is if you can carry a camera and sit it on a tripod and expect it not to get snatched up. If you've never been to Mexico City you should read up on the places you need to avoid at night. You can't just go anywhere. Well, you can, but expect to possibly come across some issues if you do.

It's not like there's criminals hanging out on every corner in every neighborhood, there's just some areas better to walk around at night when there's other people outdoors in that area too.

For instance the area where you're staying you'll see a LOT of police officers, and many carrying high capacity weapons. There's a reason for that, and it's because it's one of the most targeted areas for crime in the city because there's a lot of money there.

Don't compare other places you visit to any other country. All countries and cities are different. One of the worse foreign cities I visited as far as crime was London actually. I feel safer in Mexico City. That's not a joke. But, everyone has their own comfort level, just use basic street smarts and you won't have any issues. There's thousands of visitors that come here everyday and they don't become a victim of crime, and you shouldn't either.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
To find out Uber rates, just go into your Uber app and put in the hotel address under your saved addresses and do a dummy booking from the hyatt to the airport.

No, there's no Metro to the airport DIRECT.

It depends on where you are and what time it is if you can carry a camera and sit it on a tripod and expect it not to get snatched up. If you've never been to Mexico City you should read up on the places you need to avoid at night. You can't just go anywhere. Well, you can, but expect to possibly come across some issues if you do.

It's not like there's criminals hanging out on every corner in every neighborhood, there's just some areas better to walk around at night when there's other people outdoors in that area too.

For instance the area where you're staying you'll see a LOT of police officers, and many carrying high capacity weapons. There's a reason for that, and it's because it's one of the most targeted areas for crime in the city because there's a lot of money there.

Don't compare other places you visit to any other country. All countries and cities are different. One of the worse foreign cities I visited as far as crime was London actually. I feel safer in Mexico City. That's not a joke. But, everyone has their own comfort level, just use basic street smarts and you won't have any issues. There's thousands of visitors that come here everyday and they don't become a victim of crime, and you shouldn't either.
Should I even avoid the subway due to petty crimes? I think I gotta do more research. I just came back from London and have been there a bunch of times. Never felt unsafe!
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

The Metro goes close to, but not directly into the airport.

I've been to Mexico City dozens of times, starting in the 90s, when it wasn't quite the tourism and gastronomy hotspot as it is now. I "look like I know where I'm going" and also look like I can take care of myself. So with that preface, and also the preface of I don't know your budget nor how risk averse you may be, here goes:

The odds of "nothing bad happening" with your plan remain high, but not high enough to do it.
Don't' try and save a few $ for what might ruin (or end) your life.
Keep your room (or get a different room) somewhere cheaper and leave for the airport at 3am. You'll be able to enjoy the City for longer, get a snooze and a shower, and then head to the airport, which should take 20 minutes max at that hour. You're visiting the City for a short time. Enjoy it.
You want your room to have your valuables. I can't say I'd be keen either walking around with my passport nor having it held with a hotel bell desk. And like no one has ever been so exhausted waiting in the floor of an airport that s/he fell asleep and had all his belongings jacked.
From the airport to the City - buy a fare inside the terminal and take one of the car services - should be US$20-something, and they all take credit cards. The government and airport UBER service are currently in a spat, and who knows what will be when you arrive. UBER back to the airport shouldn't be a big deal, if a driver is accepting an airport ride. The "worst case" is that the hotel gets you a "Sitio" (car service) and you'll pay a bit more.

Not my money, not my trip, not my potential stupidity after being well-advised to save a few $.

And please don't let any of this scare you from going. Truly a great city.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:43 am

Should I even avoid the subway due to petty crimes? I think I gotta do more research. I just came back from London and have been there a bunch of times. Never felt unsafe!
Sorry to tell you, but there's street crime in London and you were just lucky. It's like going to Paris or Barcelona. High amounts of street crime. Doesn't mean anyone visiting is going to experience it. You just use common sense and you avoid crime anywhere you go. I know a woman here in Mexico City, born and raised here and never had her purse stolen until she went to Paris. Certain cities in Italy, France and Spain are on the top of the list for pickpocketing and petty street crime. I avoid those places including London. Mexico City is a walk in the park compared to them. My opinion of course.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Oy, do *not* take the metro to/from MEX. In the first place, it will be a huge PITA, as the trains and stations are not set up for luggage. Secondly, the airport is in not the best area. Third, you will stick out like a sore thumb, and if you don't know the city, that's sort of asking for trouble. Fourth, I think technically it's not even legal to take luggage on the metro trains (not to say people don't do it, but I was told that many years ago.)

Depending on where you're staying, you CAN take the Metrobús to/from the airport. These are special buses that run in dedicated lanes and have limited stops, and they have police officers either on the buses themselves or in the stations. You need a "tarjeta de movilidad integrada," which you can buy from machines in the airport near where the bus stops. I just got a new one to replace my old, no-longer-valid transit card when I was in town last month, and the card itself cost 25 pesos, and then you have to load value for the fares. The individual transit fare generally ranges from 4.50 to 6 pesos, depending on what mode of transport. The Metrobús to/from MEX is 30 pesos, and you can transfer (I believe for free, or at least at a discount) to another Metrobús line if your hotel is located near one. That's what I usually do when I go to Mexico City, as I stay in a place located literally in front of a Metrobús station. The airport bus also has luggage racks, which makes things easier (although the other lines generally don't.)

Also, if you're leaving at 5:40am - take a freaking cab to the airport. I'm a crazy person who takes public transport almost everywhere, and I speak fluent Spanish and have great familiarity with the city - and I wouldn't take transit at that hour. In the first place, I don't even think the trains/Metrobús are running - but even if they are, it's just not worth the risk. A cab will cost $20 or less - just do that.

Mexico City is a great city, and I enjoy spending time there - but it's also the only place I've ever been victimized (had my phone pickpocketed on the Metro a few years ago by a professional gang; joke's on them, as the phone was cheap, old, falling apart and had half the screen cracked.) You have to have your wits about you, and particularly if you're unfamiliar and don't speak the language, it's far better to be safe than sorry. Mexico City is very much the third world - it is most definitely not London, or Europe, or even New York.
lsquare and Tanic like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA

Mexico City is very much the third world - it is most definitely not London, or Europe, or even New York.
This is an important point, generally, and probably worthy of another thread altogether. The travel experience for most from the "first world," even when traveling in a third world locale, is a first world experience. "We" don't see society as a whole. On a typical trip to Mexico City (and not limited to there), we'd wonder why so many from that region are trying to get into the USA at risk of serious danger including death. "We" stay in decent lodging, take relatively safe modes of transport, eat good (and safe) food, stay in decent areas and also have our recreation in relatively decent areas, and don't really see much, even though we think we have. I walk around most of the world with eyes around all of my head, wallet in the front pocket as I depart the airplane, and look where I know where I'm going. It doesn't mean that bad things won't happen.

Enjoy Mexico City.
lsquare and SJOGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.