Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Los Cabos First Timers

Los Cabos First Timers

Old May 4, 21, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Los Cabos First Timers

We're finally taking our pandemic-delayed trip at the end of this month. Staying at Marquis Los Cabos, between the two towns. At first, given the pandemic, we had planned on staying put at our hotel for the most part -- we were never really concerned, just thinking it would probably be a lot more hassle than it was worth. We're re-thinking that, and are considering some off site activities, as long as they are more or less the pre-pandemic experience. Although we've traveled to Mexico a lot, and speak a fair amount of Spanish, it's our first time in this area. Any recommendations that wouldn't be too far from our hotel?

Considering some kind of boat tour or possibly even fishing, if there's a good half day charter.
Otherwise, we're in our 40's, generally healthy and athletic (although the trip is to relax not run a marathon). We enjoy good food, especially things we haven't tried before or that are authentically local. Scenic views are always a plus, especially with food and drinks. I'm sure my wife would enjoy shopping in any small local markets, art fairs, etc.

Thanks for any specific recommendations, including tour/charter companies!
Old May 7, 21, 11:35 pm

We stayed at the Westin in Los Cabos a couple years ago. It was kind of isolated as I suspect most Los Cabos resorts are. We didn't rent a car because we really didn't plan on going anywhere. Kind of wished we had by the time it was over because Uber at that time was pretty much non-existent and cabs were pretty pricy especially for Mexico. And if you had private transportation from the airport they wanted an extra $20 or so just to stop at a convenience store to get some water for the room etc. Didn't even ask how much for a grocery store. Other than that, I really enjoyed the area. We sold an unused limb and took a cab to Cabo San Lucas and did a whale watching excursion out of there. Can't remember the company but there were a few. There is also deep sea fishing and snorkeling tours out of the same area.

There is a good amount of fine dining at the various resorts in the area. One we liked a lot was Comal at Chileno Bay, about a 20 min drive. Nice upscale open air place on the water. Another place with a killer view while daylight and good food is El Ciruelo which is right outside the Westin, about a 10 minute drive from your place. There are a lot of great places to eat in the area. Hope that helps. I'm sure you probably know, Sammy Hagar has a famous bar in CSL called Cabo Wabo. It's worth stopping in for drinks, not super fancy or anything.
JBord likes this.
Old May 10, 21, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Da5id View Post
Hope that helps. I'm sure you probably know, Sammy Hagar has a famous bar in CSL called Cabo Wabo. It's worth stopping in for drinks, not super fancy or anything.
Anything helps! Marquis is supposedly a high-end all-inclusive, so I expect we'll take most of our breakfasts and dinners there. But should we do any day excursions, I've noted the restaurants you mentioned for lunch. We aren't planning to rent a car, and we've already paid for airport transportation, so probably not worth it to change now. But appreciate the thoughts on cabs, we'll keep that in mind.
Da5id likes this.
Old May 10, 21, 11:58 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
Anything helps! Marquis is supposedly a high-end all-inclusive, so I expect we'll take most of our breakfasts and dinners there. But should we do any day excursions, I've noted the restaurants you mentioned for lunch. We aren't planning to rent a car, and we've already paid for airport transportation, so probably not worth it to change now. But appreciate the thoughts on cabs, we'll keep that in mind.
I was just in La Paz, a city about 2.5 hours north of where you're going. Not being a beach person, I was nevertheless coaxed into visiting La Paz to check out Playa Balandra.

​​​​​​ In theory, the number of visitors is limited to Balandra...if you try to enter its parking lot. My Uber dropped me off just beyond the parking lot entrance to take an alternate hiking route, which in retrospect was the best outcome.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 10, 21, 12:56 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Da5id View Post
We didn't rent a car.... Kind of wished we had by the time it was over because Uber at that time was pretty much non-existent and cabs were pretty pricy especially for Mexico. We sold an unused limb and took a cab to Cabo San Lucas.
I'd say that's pretty pricey!!! I have long heard the expression "it costs an arm and a leg" but this is the first time I have heard of it happening for real. You must have REALLY wanted to go whale watching. A couple of questions: Do you usually travel with extra artificial limbs? Or did you just happened to have one with you on this trip? How does one go about bringing that up as a negotiating option when haggling over price? Did you get anything back in change (like fingers or toes)?
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by Section 107; May 11, 21 at 2:13 pm
Old May 10, 21, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
We stayed at Westin Los Cabo (which is really close to your hotel) back in end of 2019. The hotel told us to use Uber to get around town and it was great. We took Uber to Mission San Josť del Cabo and walked around town. It is a very nice area with lots of places to eat. It is near the art district too. We took a walking food tasting tour there. We also took Uber to El Merkado. It is very new and modern food courts with lots of offering. We tried the seafood place upstairs and the food was amazing and very cheap compare to the hotel's restaurant. I ordered this tuna dish (picture below), and my wife and my son decided to take a bite. So we ended up ordering 3 more of the same dish on top of everything else.

JBord, kirkwoodj and Zelucifer like this.

Search this Thread