Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Exit stamp when leaving Mexico? (Generally, no.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I'm planning to stay 14 days in Mexico in order to be able to travel to the USA.
I did the same thing last year by staying 14 days in Turkey, where Turkish immigration put exit stamp with a date in my passport when I left the country.

Does Mexican immigration also gives exit stamp in your passport? I was searching for an answer and some forums say there is no exit stamp?

I'm asking because the US immigration officer explicitly said they need so see an exit stamp as proof you've been out of the Schengen are for the last 14 days.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:20 am
Suspended

Hi,

From my the experience of my mother - No exit stamp but there is an entry stamp. Keep your boarding pass proving when you first entered Mexico and then left Mexico. As it happens she flew AA from Mexico into DFW, and nobody asked her once how long she had been in Mexico they only wanted to check her antigen test.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
I can confirm: no exit stamp in mexico.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:25 am
Suspended

Mexico is like UK, Canada and USA. No exit checks on leaving the country.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SailorTomSparrow
Mexico is like UK, Canada and USA. No exit checks on leaving the country.
Several years ago departing LHR a British Passport agent was checking passports on leaving, they may have stamped my pp--just one time out of many trips out of LHR.
SailorTomSparrow likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
I know a handful of people who spent 14 days in Mexico before traveling to the US, because they came from a place in the red list. No one was exit stamped and they all entered the US!
SailorTomSparrow likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Several years ago departing LHR a British Passport agent was checking passports on leaving
... that was most likely not a border but customs agent.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just did this last month. No exit stamp and no questions by the Immigration agent at SFO.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by fre_82
I'm asking because the US immigration officer explicitly said they need so see an exit stamp as proof you've been out of the Schengen are for the last 14 days.
Wouldn't the exit stamp here refer to the one you get when leaving Schengen? Presumably for CBP it is only important when you left the Schengen zone, not when you entered or left Mexico.

Schengen definitely has exit controls. If (unlikely) the border guard does not stamp your passport at the exit control, you can ask them to do so. This should provide you with the required proof of having left Schengen more than 14 days ago when you arrive at the US border.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
While Mexico’s airport security agents may be more nosy than others and departing passengers are required to process Migración / immigration, there’s generally no exit stamp provided. You are required to turn in your permit “tourist card”, however, and they might well check the length of time one was given to visit on arrival (it is often the maximum of six months, but I’ve rarely seen it be as little as several days to conform with someone’s declared stay).
RFNJ likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Wouldn't the exit stamp here refer to the one you get when leaving Schengen? Presumably for CBP it is only important when you left the Schengen zone, not when you entered or left Mexico.

Schengen definitely has exit controls. If (unlikely) the border guard does not stamp your passport at the exit control, you can ask them to do so. This should provide you with the required proof of having left Schengen more than 14 days ago when you arrive at the US border.
EU Citizens usually go through the automated border control, so no stamp. Permanent residents normally go to an agent and depending on the agent's willingness, they will stamp it or not. I had to make a strong case at CDG once to get a stamp since the agent and his supervisor both concluded that I didn't need one.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by SDQBound
EU Citizens usually go through the automated border control, so no stamp. Permanent residents normally go to an agent and depending on the agent's willingness, they will stamp it or not. I had to make a strong case at CDG once to get a stamp since the agent and his supervisor both concluded that I didn't need one.
This is not a new phenomenon. Back in the late '80s on a family trip my brother and I wanted stamps when leaving Austria by train. First they didn't want to do it, then after some begging they had to search to find the stamp. When they finally found and stamped our passports, they had to do it again because the date was off by 2 years....
Old May 4, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
If you are flying to the US from Mexico, you won't get a stamp, but you will get a sticker for the back of your passport, after you do your security exit interview (done at the gate)
Though this past time in April time they stuck my sticker to my Covid attestation, which they collected....
Old May 4, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Fair point, for some reason I had assumed OP to be non-Schengen resident (the Location: Belgium bit might have tipped me off ).

No idea if it's possible to get a Schengen exit stamp as Schengen resident/citizen (you don't have to use the automated gates, can always see an agent).

In any case I'm sure the issue is a Schengen exit stamp, not the Mexican one, as the Mexican one would presumably be on the same day (or the day before - are there overnight Mexico-US flights?) as entry to the US, therefore useless to prove 14 days since exit from Schengen.

(In fact, the *entry* stamp to Mexico would be more useful here.)
Old May 5, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: ba
Originally Posted by RFNJ
If you are flying to the US from Mexico, you won't get a stamp, but you will get a sticker for the back of your passport, after you do your security exit interview (done at the gate)
Though this past time in April time they stuck my sticker to my Covid attestation, which they collected....
Hi, May I ask, does CBP ask to see your Mexican entry stamp?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.