Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

US international arrivals, inc. Mexico, need neg. Covid tests [Rescinded June 10, 22]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US international arrivals, inc. Mexico, need neg. Covid tests [Rescinded June 10, 22]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation US international arrivals, inc. Mexico, need neg. Covid tests [Rescinded June 10, 22]

Effective January 26 2021, all international arrivals in the USA must present a negative Covid-19 viral test taken within three days of departure, or possess acceptable evidence of having had Covid-19 to the transporting airline to be allowed to board an aircraft heading to the USA.
U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico, 12 January 2021

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expanding the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. Testing before and after travel is a critical layer to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19. This strategy is consistent with the current phase of the pandemic and more efficiently protects the health of Americans.

Variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus continue to emerge in countries around the world, and there is evidence of increased transmissibility of some of these variants. With the US already in surge status, the testing requirement for air passengers will help slow the spread of the virus as we work to vaccinate the American public.

Before departure to the United States, a required test, combined with the CDC recommendations to get tested again 3-5 days after arrival and stay home for 7 days post-travel, will help slow the spread of COVID-19 within US communities from travel-related infections. Pre-departure testing with results known and acted upon before travel begins will help identify infected travelers before they board airplanes.

Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

“Testing does not eliminate all risk,” says CDC Director Robert R. Redfield, MD, “but when combined with a period of staying at home and everyday precautions like wearing masks and social distancing, it can make travel safer, healthier, and more responsible by reducing spread on planes, in airports, and at destinations.”

This order was signed by the CDC Director on January 12, 2021 and will become effective on January 26, 2021.

###
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

Link to US CDC news release re Covid-19 test requirements for international US arrivals.

Link to CDC Covid and travel information

What if I recently recovered from COVID-19?

CDC does not recommend getting tested again in the three months after a positive viral test, as long as you do not have symptoms of COVID-19. If you have had a positive viral test in the past 3 months, and you have met the criteria to end isolation, travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your doctor or health department that states you have been cleared for travel.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 13, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:55 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Leaving aside whether it's a good idea to travel, I guess you'll be able to fly into TIJ and walk over CBX. I can't imagine (even if they wanted to) the CBP and CDC getting involved with CBX and an intra-Mexico flight.

Experiences thread of people who have found rapid tests nearby Mexican airports would be useful for those who are traveling.
peterkej likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:19 pm
Suspended

We will see if this rule stands. I remember Trump banning everyone traveling from Europe to the US too, until the courts ruled he cannot ban citizens and lawful residents.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
We will see if this rule stands. I remember Trump banning everyone traveling from Europe to the US too, until the courts ruled he cannot ban citizens and lawful residents.
I have a flight from the US to Cancun 1/28, returning 2/1.

Any chance these idiots come to their senses prior to the trip?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:18 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by AChekhovGun
I have a flight from the US to Cancun 1/28, returning 2/1.

Any chance these idiots come to their senses prior to the trip?
Not sure, but in the interim, there's this: https://www.playadelcarmen.com/blog/...-riviera-maya/. Since it appears that a rapid test will work, there should be options.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It would seem to me that some of the larger resorts are going to have to figure out a way to make the test easy to get for their guests, or this could prevent some from traveling.

We're now scheduled for Los Cabos in May. Hopefully, this is no longer in effect, but at a fairly remote resort, I can't imagine this will be easy to get a test a couple days before we return home.
JDiver and cmx like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmx
Leaving aside whether it's a good idea to travel, I guess you'll be able to fly into TIJ and walk over CBX. I can't imagine (even if they wanted to) the CBP and CDC getting involved with CBX and an intra-Mexico flight.

Experiences thread of people who have found rapid tests nearby Mexican airports would be useful for those who are traveling.
Iirc, pedestrian and ground vehicular traffic between the US and México is restricted to those who can prove they’re on essential business. I’m not sure how CBX would be affected, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to leave a huge gap in the door for those walking in from TIJ.
cmx and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
It would seem to me that some of the larger resorts are going to have to figure out a way to make the test easy to get for their guests, or this could prevent some from traveling.

We're now scheduled for Los Cabos in May. Hopefully, this is no longer in effect, but at a fairly remote resort, I can't imagine this will be easy to get a test a couple days before we return home.
Mexico is hurting in several ways, and it’s my guess they’ll be working hard to develop testing availability for departing tourists. In 2019, tourism brought in nearly $18 billion to Mexico. They won’t be taking this likely. Check with your resort, etc.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Here’s the rub: They're not banning American residents and citizens who don’t have evidence of a negative test; the airlines are prohibiting boarding to those flying to the US without acceptable proof of a negative viral test or of having had Covid-19. IATA TIMATIC is what the airlines use to determine if a passenger will be allowed to board because they have the proper documents and permissions to enter the destination country, so if this is codified there it’s what airline employees will use to determine boarding eligibility.

Link to TIMATIC checker from United Airlines.
cmx likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Here’s the rub: They're not banning American residents and citizens who don’t have evidence of a negative test; the airlines are prohibiting boarding to those flying to the US without acceptable proof of a negative viral test or of having had Covid-19. IATA TIMATIC is what the airlines use to determine if a passenger will be allowed to board because they have the proper documents and permissions to enter the destination country, so if this is codified there it’s what airline employees will use to determine boarding eligibility.
Technically true, but it would be no different from banning American residents and citizens who cannot prove their are not a terrorist or dangerous individual.
Just imagine airliners demand people show a FBI background check report every time they want to board a plane.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've posted this elsewhere on the board, but forgive me for also posting it here due to its direct relevance. The Cape in Cabo posted on Instagram today that it has arranged for Covid testing in your hotel room. I expect this will be the new amenity at highend properties. And no, I have no idea what they will charge.

cmx and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:49 pm
cmx

Iirc, pedestrian and ground vehicular traffic between the US and México is restricted to those who can prove they’re on essential business. I’m not sure how CBX would be affected, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to leave a huge gap in the door for those walking in from TIJ.
They have to let you into the country if you're a citizen that shows up to immigration and you want in. That's why the order is clever, because technically you're not being kept out by immigration, the airlines are being ordered to deny you boarding on foreign soil. Some think there will be a legal challenge on the grounds that this is tantamount to denying entry into the country--I have no opinion on that. The first sentence of the order limits its scope to "any aircraft passenger," so as long as you can get to the border on foot or in a car, you should be fine (barring a novel information-sharing agreement with Mexico about TIJ air arrivals which I doubt they have the desire nor ability to create and enforce). There is no such analog order about land crossings, yet, to my knowledge.
any aircraft passengerf any aircraft passengerof any aircraft passengerso
Going IN to Mexico on foot or in a car from the US is different. My understanding is that you could be questioned and turned around by the Mexican authorities, though I haven't heard of it happening to anyone and have been able to gather a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that it's fine. Best practices for essential travel to Mexico from the US at a land border is to have proof of your essential travel (like your Mexican dentist's phone number). There are so many people that work in essential industries and are doing essential activities in San Diego and live in Tijuana (and vice versa) that it would be very difficult to enforce anything, especially given that it's one of the busiest land crossings in the world.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Mexico is hurting in several ways, and it’s my guess they’ll be working hard to develop testing availability for departing tourists. In 2019, tourism brought in nearly $18 billion to Mexico. They won’t be taking this likely. Check with your resort, etc.
This. Not just the US, but UK & Canada require negative tests as well. The three countries together account for the vast majority of that $18B.

But, as a cautionary matter, there is no way I would travel to Mexico without having the testing scheme in place. Beyond that, travelers also need a Plan B in case they get infected. It's not just a question of having room service delivered for 14-90 days.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
There is virtually no enforcement of the supposed "essential travel" requirement for US citizens going into Mexico over the land border. I have crossed into Mexico by land numerous times in recent months, through numerous crossings (including TIJ/SAN), and can assure you that FMMs and TIPs are readily being issued to foreign visitors. And the US allows US citizens/residents back over the land border regardless of reason for travel, so the gap is indeed quite huge and wide open.
cmx and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Royal Resorts

Royal Resorts chain in Cancun is offering on site testing starting Jan 23. Good news for a lot of time share owners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.