Search

Quintana Roo inc. Cancun, Cozumel, Riviera Maya to open 1 June 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2020, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Quintana Roo inc. Cancun, Cozumel, Riviera Maya to open 1 June 2020

”Cancun, Riviera Maya, Q.R. — The Quintana Roo Tourism Promotion Council has announced the reopening of the state for travel as of the beginning of June.

The Consejo de Promoción Turística de Quintana Roo (CPTQ) says that airline operations also will begin then, which is why they are preparing a special campaign now to be launched in late May. The campaign will be aimed at reviving local tourism.

Darío Flota Ocampo, director of the CPTQ said that airlines from Canada, the United States and Europe have already confirmed their arrivals to the Mexican Caribbean, which initially is expected to consist mainly of convention and wedding tourism.

“Some of the airlines, through virtual meetings, that have announced they are resuming their operations at the Cancun International Airport are Air Canada, Air Transat, Delta Airlines, Copa Airlines, Air Europa, Sunwing, Southwest and Aeroméxico,” he explained noting they will begin landing in early June.

The announcement of the arrival of flights has also promoted the opening of some online reservation systems for area hotels. The Hotel Association of Cancun, Puerto Morelos and Isla Mujeres detailed that due to the coronavirus pandemic, more than 155 area hotels closed.

Area attractions including theme parks will also reopen. Last month, large attractions including Grupo Xcaret, Dolphin Discoveries, Coco Bongo locations and Ventura Amusement Park announced their temporary closures due to the virus.
https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/to...ne-1/2020.html
Old May 10, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
JDiver, do you think this is premature? Any word you're hearing? Costa Rica has extended its closure for another month, and the directive explicitly states por lo menos (at least).
Old May 14, 2020, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
JDiver, do you think this is premature? Any word you're hearing? Costa Rica has extended its closure for another month, and the directive explicitly states por lo menos (at least).
Personally, I do think this is premature. The figures I’m reading for Mexico are being interpreted by some medical personnel in Mexico as requiring a multiplier of approximately 8.2 for actual figures. The health system is chaotic and both overwhelmed in some areas and totally lacking in PPE to the point some are suiting up with garbage bags. Unfortunately, I’ve seen health coverups in Mexico, so it’s hard to ascertain the actual impact. (E.g. When the cholera outbreaks occurred in the Acapulco area, officials, press and health care personnel were prohibited from discussing them.)

OTOH, México is hurting badly from lack of tourism.

If I was willing to risk I might consider Cozumel, etc. but I’m personally not going to risk Mexico at this time. I have family and friends in Mexico - and some hunkering down in Texas for the duration, whatever that’s to be.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks for your take, JDiver. I fear you're 100% correct.
Old May 15, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Yeah, as places begin to "re-open" there are sure to be "flare ups" and quick re-imposition of "lockdowns." I believe, in general (if one is not in a high-risk category), the risk is probably less in getting sick than getting stuck in a quarantine or lack of international travel options which has significant financial risk if the tourist has to foot the bill for lodging and lost work at home.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I know a few travel agents that just went to the Cancun area and stayed at a few resorts that are prepping to open July 1. They state they are confident that things are going well and have a group event trip for late July that I will be going on. I'll be purchasing travel insurance and keeping a close eye on things leading up to the date, but as of now I am willing to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.