Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Time (MCT) in Cancun (CUN)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K

Any recommendations for transit time in CUN? I have a (valid) option BOG-CUN-ORD on MX that has a 1 hour layover in Cancun. I understand that there is no airside transit, so I will need to clear customs and immigration and then re-clear security to access the gate. I am a bit concerned given this is the last flight to ORD for the day. Am I concerned over nothing?
Old May 8, 2010, 2:47 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It would seem impossible as check-in closes 60 min before departure, and you much claim bags at CUN and present them for custom inspection. Often this is a zoo (depends what other planes have arrived) and can take an hour by itself. But perhaps MX has some special arrangement for transit pax for this flight (meeting at airside and doing a transit); if MX says it meets MCT then it becomes their problem and expense if you misconnect (of course that is easier said than done).
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:38 pm

Cancun immigration/customs on a Saturday

How long is it taking to get through immigatration and customs these days on a Saturday at 12:30?
I want to see if I will be able to make a connecting flight at Terminal 2 at 2:15 pm. Thank you
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:12 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Is Cancun your first stop in Mexico? If so you will go through both immigration and customs.

If you are changing planes elsewhere in Mexico (i.e. Mexico City), you'd clear Mexican immigration at your first Mexican airport of entry. Then customs in Cancun. In this case you won't see your checked luggage, if any, until Cancun.

Mexican customs is a random affair - you are asked to push a button on a "traffic signal". Flashes green, you're good to go. Flashes red, your bags are inspected. And customs agents reserve the right to inspect any bag even if you get a green light.

For tourists the whole process is generally quick and painless. You shouldn't have any problem making your connection assuming your flight to Cancun is on time.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:15 pm

Baggage claim and customs share the same room. You might find it easiest to wait there for each other.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Baggage claim and customs share the same room. You might find it easiest to wait there for each other.
Good advice.

I fly Delta mostly to Cancun. In twenty plus trips we have needed from 20 minutes to 1h40 to get to an international gate. The priority lines can be long and slow moving. I always leave hotel 3 hours early if I can. The international departure area is very adequate and there is a business (priority pass member) lounge that anyone can use for I believe $25.

That said we fly out on the Saturday after Christmas or New Years. Saturdays have the biggest crowds and these are two of the busiest days. Mid-week or other times, I'd be tempted to leave 2.5 hours early for the airport (20 minute ride for me). Others wait until the last minute. I've seen some really panicked people begging to jump the waiting line.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I booked a SDT here landing in March on a Saturday afternoon leaving 1hr51min after landing . Flying in UA leaving UA. Can I stay air side? If not, is this enough time on a Saturday afternoon? I'll have no bags checked and also be in J/UA pp.

Thanks everyone in advance
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Transferring intl to intl at CUN

Ok, I should have looked here first, but I was in a booking frenzy before United upped mileage requirements. Thus, I'm ticketed, on a Sunday:

UIO-PTY-CUN on CM arriving 12:28

CUN-PHL on US departing 14:10

From what I understand, not only are the two airlines in different terminal, I'll have to clear immigration, customs, AND security.

Do I stand any chance of pulling off a 102 minute connection like this? I'm in business class the whole way, but...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe. Be prepared, know where you are going and this:

Do you speak Castilian / Spanish? Be politely assertive if things are getting tight and let the official folks know you are on a tight deadline, say a lot of "disculpe" (deess-COOL-pay" and edge into the front of the queues holding up your connecting BP, etc.

Key phrases

"Mi avión esta listo para salir" (my airplane is ready to leave) - "me ah-vee-OHN ess-TUH LEES-toe PAH-rah sol-EER"

"Con permiso" (please give me permission / forgive me) - "cone pear-ME-soh"

and of course, "disculpe" as above

Just these words with politeness but obvious intent and worry will cut you a ton of slack. Latinos can ignore queues and be pushy, but dissolve at some Latin politeness.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by JDiver
Do you speak Castilian / Spanish? Be politely assertive if things are getting tight and let the official folks know you are on a tight deadline, say a lot of "disculpe" (deess-COOL-pay" and edge into the front of the queues holding up your connecting BP, etc.
I spent most of 2013 traveling around Africa, I can get pushy when needed and things get out of hand, not worried about that. Just wanted to know how possible it looked...

That said, who knows if Copa will even be able to issue the US Airways boarding passes now that they're out of Star. Will be interesting to see....
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I spent most of 2013 traveling around Africa, I can get pushy when needed and things get out of hand, not worried about that. Just wanted to know how possible it looked...

That said, who knows if Copa will even be able to issue the US Airways boarding passes now that they're out of Star. Will be interesting to see....
Ah, well, you should have no problems.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:34 pm

Reporting back: COPA [b]cannot[/b[ issue US boarding passes now that they're out of Star. Ended up landing late into CUN with 1:20 to make my connection.

Ran to immigration, no line, pushed the button at customs, green light. Walked around 200m to the shuttle bus stop...bus only runs every 30 minutes on the 30 and hour. Problem. Bus arrived 5 minutes after I got there, and the driver was...persuaded to leave a little early Got to the US check-in counter with 61 minutes to go...and no trouble...but I got very lucky. I'd not recommend anyone try less than a 2 hour connection....everything just happened to sync up well for me.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:18 am

Reporting back: COPA [b]cannot[/b[ issue US boarding passes now that they're out of Star.
It probably also has to do with the requirements for checking in going to the US, since interlining and APIS do not mix well. And if you're a non-US citizen, absolutely forget it.

bus only runs every 30 minutes on the 30 and hour. Problem.
It's actually an easy, straightforward walk of under 10mins between terminals, but it's not signposted. Just follow the many employees who do it...
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Is it possible to make a connection within Terminal 3 without going through passport control?

No, because MX airports work like US ones... there is no outbound passport control. Everyone in the terminal is technically still in MX.

Last edited by EZEDoesIt; Apr 10, 2016 at 12:45 pm Reason: answering my own question
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:45 pm

Beware the minimum connection time in Cancun

We recently travelled on an Aeroplan reward ticket from Ottawa to Quito, Ecuador. Our initial flight out of Ottawa connected through Cancun, Mexico, with a 90 minute connection. I foolishly believed that Aeroplan would know the appropriate minimum connection time through Cancun airport. It turns out they do not. On arrival in Cancun, you deplane onto a bus, then to the terminal to clear immigration, pick up luggage (although it had been tagged all the way through and the Air Canada agent told us we would not need to pick it up in Cancun), and through customs where you may be randomly selected for baggage inspection (we were). Then we had to leave Cancun Terminal 3 via an airport shuttle, taking us to Terminal 2 to to check in with Copa Airlines, for our onward travel. Needless to say, the gate was closed by the time we made it there. Luckily for us, our inbound flight out of Ottawa was late arriving (likely due to de-icing before departure), so after a minimum of argument the Air Canada folks at Cancun airport agreed that it was their problem to resolve, and they worked with Aeroplan to get us re-booked to the following day. On further prompting, they also picked up our accommodations and meals for the day. Just know if you are coming into Cancun on Air Canada and connecting to a central or south american airline, the minimum connection time should be no less than 3 hours, in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.