Search

Safety in San Jose Del Cabo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:15 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Safety in San Jose Del Cabo

​​Yeah another is Mexico safe question.....
we’re half thinking a last minute vacation to someplace warm we haven’t been to which rules out Hawaii and the US.
We’ve had a horrible last few months so this is not as much a true vacation but a replenish and recuperate trip, so we’re less adventurous and less able to deal with hassles than usual.
Believe it or not I checked AARP for warm weather destinations and SJDC came up in the top 10. The town (not Cabo San Lucas as we don’t like resorts and don’t care about being on the beach) seems like just the kind of place we would like and AirBnB and small hotels abound.

So - are there any issues we should be aware of about safety that may not be obvious? We sadly don’t speak Spanish somwe’re A bit worried that dangerous situations might not be obvious.
But as importantly are there issues with food nd water safety - we assume bottled water and no fruits we can’t peel but is there anything else to be concerned about? We were last in Mexico in the 80’s and loved it - had no problems as we were very careful.

i know I sound like a wuss but we really want a break and if there are issues we aren’t aware of we want to find another option.

Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
​​Yeah another is Mexico safe question.....
we’re half thinking a last minute vacation to someplace warm we haven’t been to which rules out Hawaii and the US.
We’ve had a horrible last few months so this is not as much a true vacation but a replenish and recuperate trip, so we’re less adventurous and less able to deal with hassles than usual.
Believe it or not I checked AARP for warm weather destinations and SJDC came up in the top 10. The town (not Cabo San Lucas as we don’t like resorts and don’t care about being on the beach) seems like just the kind of place we would like and AirBnB and small hotels abound.

So - are there any issues we should be aware of about safety that may not be obvious? We sadly don’t speak Spanish somwe’re A bit worried that dangerous situations might not be obvious.
But as importantly are there issues with food nd water safety - we assume bottled water and no fruits we can’t peel but is there anything else to be concerned about? We were last in Mexico in the 80’s and loved it - had no problems as we were very careful.

i know I sound like a wuss but we really want a break and if there are issues we aren’t aware of we want to find another option.

Thanks
This is just an anecdote rather than data, but we were just walking around the old center of San Jose Del Cabo today and it felt perfectly safe despite most of the stores being closed for the holiday. It's a very cute little town, and there were quite a few beautiful small hotels.

The weather today was a lot like San Francisco weather, though. Light sweaters all around.

I have also heard stories of food issues, but I've never had any issue during several trips eating pretty much everything the locals eat. The food, and in particular, the veggies here are really spectacular - it would be a shame to miss them if you visit!
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
thanks - we are looking at some airbnb's - prices seem reasonable for both hotels and other lodging.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:51 pm

I had a great stay in San Juan del Cabo exactly a year ago, and it was terrific, and I went a bunch of places. I am a single woman, and was traveling with another single woman, and we often split up. Both of us have a lot of experience with solo travel.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Not exactly on point, but .... We flew into (and out of) SJD last month and spent time in La Paz and Todos Santos (highly recommend). No issues at all. We talked to folks who had spent time in Cabo and they had nothing bad to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.