Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

MTY - Quick turn. Can I avoid immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

Looks for any updates. I am flying DFW-MTY then MTY-DFW. Actually on the same plane.

Have done this before, and have been forced to enter MX via immigration.

In the past I have learned to avoid customs (aka baggage claim and inspections). Quick U turn after immigration, a security check and back to TA concourse....

I have ask AA and MTY staff if I can just stay on the pane or simply re-board without entering MX. Nobody really knows how to do it, so I just hustle down and back up.

Basically I am trying to be an 'intl in transit pax'. MTY doesnt seem to have this facility.

Any advice on how to do this? Who to ask? chat w/ The AMEX centurion club perhaps? Or the OMA premium Lounge? (Just their proximity might result in 'oh, yes- we know who to ask)

Any advice?

Ive got 40 minutes...took 20 last time

Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Mexico (like the US) doesn't have any true international transit facilities, and furthermore, you're not getting on a flight to the USA without having gone through security and then likely gate questioning (with your BP or passport given a sticker) and possible secondary bag check at the gate.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Quick update....

Flight into MTY from DFW was late, same equipment but was woworred they would try and make up time.

Asked the gate agent, she talked to someone on the radio, but had to go down to immigration.

After immigration they run your carry-on through an Xray (odd), and then you come to a staircase/escalatoor downstairs. This then leads to a long tunnel, and you com eup inside the main terminal at baggage claim.

DO NOT go through baggage claim.

Just before the stairs down, there is a glass walled area with an xray and magnetometer. This time there was a guy there. I walked up, showed him my boarding pass for MTY-DFW (printed in DFW). He asked for my passport, verified it and let me past. (Didnt even scan anything, no bags, no metal detector.) Up the escalator to gate A7

I was in Mexico for 14 minutes

In the past I have made a U turn at the beginning of the tunnel. (So down the stairs, make u turn. Dont be too obvious. You will then come to a full OMA-manned security checkpoint. I avoided that this time.

I know this is an odd factoid, but maybe it helps someone in the future....
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rene86mx
Semi-doable

Just as you get out of immigration in MTY terminal A you go down the escalator and instead of following the "Baggage Collection" sign make a U-turn towards security. You'll be airside in less than a minute.
MTY is very manageable for immigration
Oddly this response was in email, but not in the thread....I used this method before. But yesterday I was able to turn at the top if the escalator!

Just wanted to collect it for the thread...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.