Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico in September (Chiapas or elsewhere? etc)

Old Feb 10, 18, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;

Dear All,
I have an upcoming conference in Cancun at the end of September, and I'll be going there with my entire family (wife and two adult kids, ages 18,22).
After the conference ends we have 4 days until our flight home, which is on 11pm on the fourth day, and so after a few days of resting in Cancun (and probably doing one or two day trips from there as well), we would like to visit some other parts of Mexico, and we are currently considering doing the following:

Day 1 - flying from CUN to Tuxtala Gutierrez
Day 3 - AT the end of day (7pm), flying from Palenque to Mexico City
Day 4 - day trip of Mexico city, flying home at 11pm

How does it look to you? In Chiapas we would like to see mostly Palenque, Agua Azul, etc. The reason I'm looking to do the flight on day 3 from Palenque to MEX (instead of from Tuxtala Gutierrez) is simply to save time travelling, and it so happens that there is a direct flight that day.
Are these good dates for visiting these places? If not, any other recommended places to visit?
Also, any recommendations for good travel agencies to help us set the trip in Chiapas (with guide, transfers, activities, etc.)

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 18, 1:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Rainy season. Palenque should be nice, though it it will probably start raining ~4:00 ish and the road to Agua Azul may be dodgy.

Perhaps day trips from Cancun, or drive to and depart MID after visiting other archaeological sites, haciendas, etc.?

See the Climate Chart (www.climate-charts.com) for Salina Cruz and Mérida below.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 19, 18 at 10:51 am Reason: Add climate charts
Old Feb 13, 18, 2:10 pm

Chiapas is interesting, but with only a couple of days it may be rushed - roads are windy and it takes time to get from A to B. If you fly into TGZ, I'd continue straight to San Cristobal de las Casas (nice town to spend some time in - visit San Juan Chamula, unique experience), San Cristobal to Palenque by way of Agua Azul takes 5 hours for 200km...

If you're set on Palenque, on short time it'd be easier as an in and out from Villahermosa (VSA). Other options are JDiver's suggestion of visiting Merida coupled with Uxmal and Campeche (Mexico's version of Cartagena), for example, or to spend some more time in Mexico City with a trip to Teotihuacan.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 19, 18, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;
Thanks everybody, you have certainly given me some things to think about.

If going to Chiapas, I most definitely also have the option of flying to VSA, so that sounds better...
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread