Search

Tours in Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Tours in Mexico City

Hi all,

Traveling to DF soon and staying at an airbnb in Condesa. Any suggestions for a reputable tour company? Specifically we are interested in a tour (private or shared, depending on price) that will bring us to the Kahlo house with an appointment so there are no lines, as well as the Xochimilco canals, the university murals and other points of interest. We are open to a bike tour. Open to tours of other places we have not thought of that a well regarded tour guide might bring us to.

Thank you!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As a onetime resident with family in the CDMX, I can’t recommend anyone more highly than Marlene Ehrenberg. Cultural Eco-Journeys in Mexico ? Mexico´s Ecotourism pioneer.

Marlene is amazing. She speaks English, German, French and Italian, and has a terrific Guide network. My family and I, and some Australian friends we hosted, took some great tours with Marlene. As an example, we even visited the highly endangered Axolotl nursery in Xochimilco as well as getting the ecological, cultural and historic scoop. That was the beginning...

Rebozo Tours / Marlene Ehrenberg Tours on Facebook.
maria_g_p likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 11, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

thank you!!
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:08 pm

When I went to Mexico city I wanted to do a similar plan as you, plus some piramids, maybe some volcano tours. I didn't manage to find a single tour that did all of that, but I found one that took me to Frida's Kahlo house on bicycle, with food, beverages and museum ticket included. It was around 70$USD at that time. I didn't know back then but while looking for something like that to answer to you I found the webpage and the guide (host) that made the tour. I enjoyed the tours as much as possible. It rained a little the day I did it but nothing that didn't add excitement to the trip haha. Look for ''Bike tour around Frida Kahlo's neighbourhood Yoplan'' in google.

PS: I ended up going to teotihuacan piramids by myself
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:52 pm

you should take a look in the Yoplan page... or guiding yourself with TripAdvisor
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

So just to report back, I decided to contact the Amex platinum concierge, which I've hardly used even though I've had the card for almost 10 years. They have booked us on a full day (8 hour) private tour with luxury transport (picking us up directly from our Airbnb), and we will be working directly with the tour provider to customize our day. We are not going until March but I will report back on this option. Amex listened to what I wanted and emailed us 5 or 6 different tour options, with options for group or private tours for each. they did not seem generic, but well curated, including a "hipster tour" of La Roma and a walking food market tour. We may add one of those on another day, but guess that the 8 hour tour will be enough.

The company they connected us with is Style Walk MX, which is very well reviewed on Trip Advisor (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ulf_Coast.html). The prices that Amex offered were the same as the prices published online for the company. I'm glad to have taken advantage of this benefit, and hopefully I will still feel that way after the tour. Concierge also offered to make dinner reservations, but I had already taken care of that myself.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:08 am

A little research on what’s to do, what’s to see pays off big time. You are then in the Captain’s seat when you contact companies for tour services, and in my opinion will get much more value and experience out of your trip than those who rely on serendipitously finding things to do on arrival or just asking “what should I do?” from people who have no idea of your interests. Congratulations!

And if you get a chance to visit one of El Cardenal’s restaurants for breakfast, enjoy an authentic, delicious Mexican brekkie - and the hot chocolate made at your table is sooo good.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:34 pm

https://www.contexttravel.com/cities/mexico-city

i would recommend that tour if you have been yet to the city and want to go deeper with real local flavour and deep culture (clearly not the usual tours sold by agencies in zona rosa for first time visitors)
i know personnally one of the guys (friend of my mexican wife) doing it for CDMX. the guy is brilliant , highly educated, multicutural (can adapt north americans or europeans) and very entertaining
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:15 am

Thanks guys) Very useful))
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Realizing that I never reported back to this thread, even though I did write a trip report. Just want to say that Style Walk MX was fantastic to work with and I highly recommend them for a private tour. They also offer group tours that you can join, which I imagine would also be very good, but we enjoyed the private tour very much.

You can check out my full trip report here: Mexico City (DL F, Airbnb, Stylewalk tours, new Amex Centurion Lounge @ MEX)
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Anybody have suggestions for food tours in Mexico City? Will be heading down with a friend at the end of August. Much appreciated.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safari ari
Anybody have suggestions for food tours in Mexico City? Will be heading down with a friend at the end of August. Much appreciated.

The company I worked with does food tours. https://www.stylewalkmexico.com/ We did not do a food tour with them but they were great to work with.

You also might want to check out Airbnb Experiences.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:10 pm

Amigo Tours has been reported as doing decent food tours. Their “Pozole, Tacos and Quesadillas” walking food tour goes for ~USD $70.00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.