Acapulco

Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Acapulco

I'm seeing some good hotel deals for May/June....and considering booking a week.

Can anybody recommend Acapulco these days, or am I better off booking elsewhere?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jaymar01
I'm seeing some good hotel deals for May/June....and considering booking a week.

Can anybody recommend Acapulco these days, or am I better off booking elsewhere?
IMO Acapulco is so '50s, albeit there are resorts, etc. south of town. But you're getting into the rains season, and IMO the state of Guerrero is best to avoid. Hatfield-McCoy type feuds, narcowars, rampant corruption. Coverups of healt issues, etc.

I have friends and family who go there or even have weekend homes there - they know what precautions to take and yet aren't entirely at ease.

If you like the new, Ixtapa or northern Puerto Vallarta; if you like more staid, Zuhuatanejo or Vallarta or some points south. My opinion, but I'd go elsewhere. (There's a reason for those great prices.)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:18 am
Suspended

I don't believe that Acapulco is safe. Nowadays, IMHO, you are much better off booking into either Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. I should point out that Cabo is really 3 types of resorts: Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and the luxury hotels in the Cabo corridor are all different types of experiences. Similarly, Puerto Vallarta proper (an authentic town with character), or the newer, more resort-oriented Nuevo Vallarta are two different types of places.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
I don't believe that Acapulco is safe. Nowadays, IMHO, you are much better off booking into either Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. I should point out that Cabo is really 3 types of resorts: Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and the luxury hotels in the Cabo corridor are all different types of experiences. Similarly, Puerto Vallarta proper (an authentic town with character), or the newer, more resort-oriented Nuevo Vallarta are two different types of places.
As one who has lived in Mexico, traveled extensively in Mexico and has family and friends in Mexico, I think your post is spot on. I can't in good conscience recommend Acapulco to anyone at this time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.