Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Uber's estimate from Puebla to DF

Old Feb 12, 17, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat

I asked the Uber web page for estimated cost from Puebla to Mexico City Centro and it was something like MXN1300-1600 on UberX. That's US$65-80, surprisingly cheap for door-to-door (taxi/bus/taxi would be around US$40 for 2 people and a lot more time and hassle).

Is there something funky about Uber's estimates in Mexico, or should we go for it? I realize traffic can be heavy around DF, but that's what the price range of the estimate covers, and a minute is less than 2 pesos so an extra hour in a traffic jam would be only US$6.

On the web one is warned not to take taxis between these cities since it is very expensive, but perhaps it is because city cabs charge out-of-city rates whereas Uber charges its regular rate even for intercity travel?

Presumably the driver won't mind being stuck in the wrong city without any guarantee of a fare back?
Old Feb 13, 17, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That could be accurate. I would just worry that drivers won't want to drive into DF from Puebla.

Just over a year ago I was in an UBER from almost as far as Xochimilco, traffic was horrendous, and it took an hour 15 minutes to go about 27km. Cost was $250. After I saw that (after leaving the car), I was in reverse sticker shock.
Old Feb 13, 17, 3:08 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Agreed it is probably accurate. Taxis are very cheap in general, at least as compared to most of the US. That may also be taking into account the current exchange of about 20 pesos = $1.
Old Feb 13, 17, 9:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm wondering if the Uber quote takes the highway tolls into consideration. Those could add significantly to the price, given the relatively high toll prices. I recall using taxis Cuernavaca-Mexico etc. and they were reasonable - but tolls were added to the bill. Check first.
Old Feb 14, 17, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I'm wondering if the Uber quote takes the highway tolls into consideration. Those could add significantly to the price, given the relatively high toll prices. I recall using taxis Cuernavaca-Mexico etc. and they were reasonable - but tolls were added to the bill. Check first.
According to Uber, the upfront prices do include tolls. They don't say anything about the estimates, although you'd think that would be the same and if not they would say so.

I also calculated the cost based on distance and time using Uber's latest rates, and it only came to MXP800. So maybe the estimate does include tolls.

I guess I'd forgotten how cheap Mexico is, even more so at current exchange rates. But charging close to regular intracity rates for intercity trips is pretty amazing.

Search this Thread