Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wide Amex acceptance in Los Cabos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Wide Amex acceptance in Los Cabos

I'll be heading down to Los Cabos next month and it turns out the only card I have at the moment without forex fees is the Amex Starwood card. Can I expect to get by in Los Cabos with just this card? I'll have some cash, of course, but I'm not exactly sure how much I should bring and how much of hotels/fees I can cover with the Amex. Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: AM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Javelin
I'll be heading down to Los Cabos next month and it turns out the only card I have at the moment without forex fees is the Amex Starwood card. Can I expect to get by in Los Cabos with just this card? I'll have some cash, of course, but I'm not exactly sure how much I should bring and how much of hotels/fees I can cover with the Amex. Thanks!
You won't have a problem,
Even convenience stores take Amex now
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you were in rural, non-tourist Mexico, it would be a different story. In the Los Cabos area, it shouldn't be a problem - though some shopkeepers may ask if you have Visa or MasterCard for the higher fees they'll have to pay with AMEX.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:23 pm
Suspended

I suggest you pay for gasoline with paper pesos. I had my CC fraudulently charged at the Pemex station on the corridor near San Jose del Cabo a couple of years ago. Fortunately, Amex voided the charge since the signature was obviously not mine.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I suggest you pay for gasoline with paper pesos. I had my CC fraudulently charged at the Pemex station on the corridor near San Jose del Cabo a couple of years ago. Fortunately, Amex voided the charge since the signature was obviously not mine.
Pemex stations are the nexus for many scams. Shortchanging, shortfilling, not resetting the pump meter, phony oil dips to "prove" you need oil, credit card copying, even people who don't work there offering to "clean" your car or windshield. I saw one car pull in with lots of dust and mud get their windshield cleaned with newspapers - resulting in a well scoured windshield etched with many lines.

The best way is to guesstimate how much fuel you'll need, round to money you have (e,g. 200 pesos) so you can see the meter is zeroed, watch as they fill with exactly 200 pesos worth and give them the amount and five pesos if they were courteous and did a great job for you.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:03 pm

Convenience Stores

Originally Posted by rene86mx
You won't have a problem,
Even convenience stores take Amex now
Not speaking in General but, convenience stores like "oxxo" (MX version of 7Eleven)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.