Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Wide Amex acceptance in Los Cabos

Wide Amex acceptance in Los Cabos

Old Apr 6, 16, 4:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 216
Wide Amex acceptance in Los Cabos

I'll be heading down to Los Cabos next month and it turns out the only card I have at the moment without forex fees is the Amex Starwood card. Can I expect to get by in Los Cabos with just this card? I'll have some cash, of course, but I'm not exactly sure how much I should bring and how much of hotels/fees I can cover with the Amex. Thanks!
Javelin is offline  
Old Apr 6, 16, 10:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MEX
Programs: AM, UA, AA
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I'll be heading down to Los Cabos next month and it turns out the only card I have at the moment without forex fees is the Amex Starwood card. Can I expect to get by in Los Cabos with just this card? I'll have some cash, of course, but I'm not exactly sure how much I should bring and how much of hotels/fees I can cover with the Amex. Thanks!
You won't have a problem,
Even convenience stores take Amex now
rene86mx is offline  
Old Apr 6, 16, 3:16 pm
  #3  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,502
If you were in rural, non-tourist Mexico, it would be a different story. In the Los Cabos area, it shouldn't be a problem - though some shopkeepers may ask if you have Visa or MasterCard for the higher fees they'll have to pay with AMEX.
JDiver is offline  
Old Apr 6, 16, 5:05 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 216
Gotcha. Thanks for the tip!
Javelin is offline  
Old Apr 6, 16, 8:23 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,445
I suggest you pay for gasoline with paper pesos. I had my CC fraudulently charged at the Pemex station on the corridor near San Jose del Cabo a couple of years ago. Fortunately, Amex voided the charge since the signature was obviously not mine.
lhgreengrd1 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 16, 10:37 am
  #6  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,502
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 View Post
I suggest you pay for gasoline with paper pesos. I had my CC fraudulently charged at the Pemex station on the corridor near San Jose del Cabo a couple of years ago. Fortunately, Amex voided the charge since the signature was obviously not mine.
Pemex stations are the nexus for many scams. Shortchanging, shortfilling, not resetting the pump meter, phony oil dips to "prove" you need oil, credit card copying, even people who don't work there offering to "clean" your car or windshield. I saw one car pull in with lots of dust and mud get their windshield cleaned with newspapers - resulting in a well scoured windshield etched with many lines.

The best way is to guesstimate how much fuel you'll need, round to money you have (e,g. 200 pesos) so you can see the meter is zeroed, watch as they fill with exactly 200 pesos worth and give them the amount and five pesos if they were courteous and did a great job for you.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jul 2, 16, 1:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 5
Convenience Stores

Originally Posted by rene86mx View Post
You won't have a problem,
Even convenience stores take Amex now
Not speaking in General but, convenience stores like "oxxo" (MX version of 7Eleven)
pbrivz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread