Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Cancun area / CUN airport taxi, transfer, limo, shuttle, Uber etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancun area / CUN airport taxi, transfer, limo, shuttle, Uber etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
I don't know about Uber in Cancún specifically, but Uber has turned out to be reliable and economical in Mexico City, for example.

I'd definitely check where to meet my Uber at CUN airport, however, because I fear the "taxi mafia" is likely unhappy about Uber.
That's what I figured. I looked up the news and it seems like they're having a lot of trouble with said mafia - well, protected by local law apparently. So maybe I'll wait until the dust settles to try out Uber there...
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Oxymore
That's what I figured. I looked up the news and it seems like they're having a lot of trouble with said mafia - well, protected by local law apparently. So maybe I'll wait until the dust settles to try out Uber there...
Yes, it's true current laws prohibit Uber type operations. It also true Uber is having trouble with the taxi unions; it's impacting their business. The airport "taxi mafias" are another issue, and even stronger than the taxi union issue.

If considering taking Uber from the CUN airport, be sure to see if there are specific instructions about where to meet your ride to minimize problems. Don't be surprised if you are hassled by taxi drivers if you're caught out.

At the moment, Uber (which began operating in Cancún September of 2016) will only be operating in Cancún itself. It is expected to extend operations to the other coastal towns such as Playa del Carmen, but not yet.

For further information on Uber in the Cancún area, read:

Über Cancun Launches Operations Amid Dispute with Taxi Union (link)

The article posts current Uber Cancún rates (e.g. MXN 137.00 airport to downtown).

The article also indicates false social media sites, etc. exist. "Their Facebook account is facebook.com/UberMexico and their Twitter account is @uber_mex." The best way to reach Uber is via the app. There are no legitimate "Uber Playa del Carmen", etc. at this time.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esldeniss
3rd time we have used this place.See you next year amigos! www.esltransfers.com
With your user name of ESL Deniss, your frequent flyer / guest program listed as 'Transfers Cancun' and exactly 1 post, you might not be surprised to learn that I don't think your review is genuine.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leo25412
We have used this company before and we have never had an issue with them. Rep was at the airport and the driver and var was ready for us to take us to Playa Del Carmen. We had an early flight out of Mexico and the driver arrived on time at 4 AM. This was our 3rd time using ESL.
www.esltransfers.com
Really, twice within two minutes? New posters, 1 post, both claiming a non existent program of the same name, extolling a company most of us have never heard of? We are not that stupid.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Domestic arrivals terminal at CUN to ADO bus?

I will be arriving on a domestic Interjet flight from MEX to CUN in a few weeks. I've arrived at CUN more than a few times over the past couple decades, but have always come in on an international flight. Couple questions for those that know...

1. What terminal should I expect to arrive in? (Interjet flight from MEX)

2. We will be headed to Playa del Carmen (then grabbing the ferry to Cozumel). What's the best way to get from that domestic arrivals terminal to the ADO bus to PdC?

I've seen the "bag drag" video, but I believe that depicts the arrival at the international terminal (understandably so, since that's where most tourists plop down). I'm guessing I will have a slightly smaller gauntlet of hucksters to run (smaller target for domestic arrivals, so a smaller gauntlet?) and more (maybe a lot more) steps to get to the actual ADO bus ticket kiosk (or is there a separate, perhaps more relaxed ADO kiosk at my terminal?).

In any case, I assume the overall theme will be similar: avoid all the hawkers inside, head-down, charge outside to find the actual ADO ticket seller).

Thanks for any guidance.

- - - - - - - -

Oops - just saw the CUN airport wiki, where at least some of my question may already be answered. Off to go read that now...
OK, arriving on Interjet = Terminal 2....check.

Last edited by nwflyboy; Jan 21, 2017 at 7:20 pm Reason: I'm an idiot
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
You may find a kiosk inside arrival hall, but there's always another one at the bus stop. You may not see the sign, ask people where you can catch ado (ah deh o). Note that they take cash only, and first bus doesn't run till 830am. Check schedule on ado.com.mx

I just wonder why you didn't choose to fly direct to cozumel.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I will be arriving on a domestic Interjet flight from MEX to CUN in a few weeks. I've arrived at CUN more than a few times over the past couple decades, but have always come in on an international flight. Couple questions for those that know...

1. What terminal should I expect to arrive in? (Interjet flight from MEX)

2. We will be headed to Playa del Carmen (then grabbing the ferry to Cozumel). What's the best way to get from that domestic arrivals terminal to the ADO bus to PdC?

I've seen the "bag drag" video, but I believe that depicts the arrival at the international terminal (understandably so, since that's where most tourists plop down). I'm guessing I will have a slightly smaller gauntlet of hucksters to run (smaller target for domestic arrivals, so a smaller gauntlet?) and more (maybe a lot more) steps to get to the actual ADO bus ticket kiosk (or is there a separate, perhaps more relaxed ADO kiosk at my terminal?).

In any case, I assume the overall theme will be similar: avoid all the hawkers inside, head-down, charge outside to find the actual ADO ticket seller).

Thanks for any guidance.

- - - - - - - -

Oops - just saw the CUN airport wiki, where at least some of my question may already be answered. Off to go read that now...
OK, arriving on Interjet = Terminal 2....check.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by maverikbc
You may find a kiosk inside arrival hall, but there's always another one at the bus stop. You may not see the sign, ask people where you can catch ado (ah deh o). Note that they take cash only, and first bus doesn't run till 830am. Check schedule on ado.com.mx
Thanks.

Originally Posted by maverikbc
I just wonder why you didn't choose to fly direct to cozumel.
A direct flight to Coz from MEX was not available when we were going (other days/times, yes - the only options for direct flights were quite a bit more expensive and/or at times that would not work for us). I've done the trip to Coz via Playa before (several times) so I know the drill, just was a few years ago and wanted to get clarity on the terminal/bus connection. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
You're welcome. I fly to Cancún when I go to merida all the time, I loose many hours, but I save at least a couple hundred bucks than flying into merida. Just you know each terminal has ado bus stops, you'll find a small bus terminal as you go out the building.

I've tried uber app both in merida and cancun. In merida, uber app quote was slightly higher than metered taxis. In Cancún, I was trying to go from bus terminal to airport in early morning of 12/25, uber app was quoting mxn450, telling me they're on high demand. I went to the taxi rank, drivers huddling (apparently they weren't busy) told me mxn350, by showing me an official looking zone table. I asked '200?', then my driver agreed with mxn250.

I don't think I'll even bother to open uber app anymore. Besides, I don't have any local sim, and there was no free WiFi at t3, I'll stick with ado when leaving from airport.

Last edited by maverikbc; Jan 22, 2017 at 8:12 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
the real story on Uber in Cancun

Originally Posted by Oxymore
Has anyone tried Uber now that it has launched in Cancun?
Yes. We used Uber from the Westin to the airport and the charge was $9 US. By comparison, we paid The One $35 in bound.

Important to note that the taxi industry has a campaign underway, declaring Uber illegal. Big English signs on the back of taxis This is BS. Ignore it.

I would like to know why the Mex government allowed the development of the Mayan Riviera with little or no public transit. As a result of this short sigtedness, the taxi industry makes a killing off the tourists!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Yes. We used Uber from the Westin to the airport and the charge was $9 US. By comparison, we paid The One $35 in bound.

Important to note that the taxi industry has a campaign underway, declaring Uber illegal. Big English signs on the back of taxis This is BS. Ignore it.

I would like to know why the Mex government allowed the development of the Mayan Riviera with little or no public transit. As a result of this short sigtedness, the taxi industry makes a killing off the tourists!
This is not the venue to discuss corruption in Quintana Roo, other than to mention its pervasive and affects taxi operations in the state.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:07 am

I have used DISCOVERY MUNDO and I strongly recommend to NOT use them. We booked a round trip VIP shuttle to Hyatt Ziva Cancun.
On pickup at the airport there was no one with a sign waiting for us. It took the help of friendly staff from other companies to find our guy as both phone numbers Discovery Mundo had given us went straight to voicemail. This was just the warning sign.

However, the actual fail was for the return leg, where they were a no-show.
We waited for 20 minutes, all attempts to call them went straight to voice mail, then got a taxi to the airport ($30), so we won't miss our flights, and when I reached out to DM to ask for a refund for the return trip portion they refused! Claimed the driver was there on time and as "proof" sent a find-your-iphone-screenshot that showed the driver at the hotel 20 minutes late...
I disputed the credit card charge now, so they will also be hit with a charge back fee, which is exactly what they deserve. Screwing up is one thing, I get that, I own a business myself and sometimes things go wrong. But it is how you handle it then. And never being able to get someone on the phone, that is just not good. So many options in Cancun, do yourself a favor and use someone else.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:57 am

I recommend Cheap Transfer Cancun

I used Cheap Transfer Cancun and it was good. Roundtrip from Cancun Airport to Riu Cancun at 55 USD.
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Anyway got any idea which one is the best for airport pickups? I found one that is 160 Roundtrip for 8 people
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Looking at USA Transfer from CUN to PDC and the rate is $110 roundtrip.

UBER estimate is about $35 one way (I don't think they offer the return from PDC, atleast it doesn't show up in the estimator).

Car rental is showing up as $1 or $2 a day? What the heck is this? Can't be legit, but that's what I get from Kayak.

What's the consensus? Any promo codes? What are the differences in quality and expectations? I realize up thread that there is a disagreement between taxi's and uber's, but as stated this won't involve the passengers.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Looking at USA Transfer from CUN to PDC and the rate is $110 roundtrip.

UBER estimate is about $35 one way (I don't think they offer the return from PDC, atleast it doesn't show up in the estimator).

Car rental is showing up as $1 or $2 a day? What the heck is this? Can't be legit, but that's what I get from Kayak.

What's the consensus? Any promo codes? What are the differences in quality and expectations? I realize up thread that there is a disagreement between taxi's and uber's, but as stated this won't involve the passengers.
You mentioned that you want to do some sightseeing in Tulum and Coba, so a car rental, as discussed in your other thread, might end up actually being more economical in the end, vs. tours/taxi/Uber to those places, and allow more freedom of movement at your own pace.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:12 am

look you could check here: http://www.taxi-airports-transfer.com/ I usually use them
I hope it helped you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.