CUN connection time

Old Aug 5, 15, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Gold, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
CUN connection time

Unfortunately CUBANA moved our flight from HAV to CUN backwards and AA our flight from CUN to MIA forwards. So now we'll arrive at CUN airport at 3:05 pm, depart to MIA at 5:45 pm. Therefore our comfortable connection time of 5.5 hrs melted to 2:40.

CUBANA arrives Terminal 2, AA leaves Terminal 3, check-through of our luggage isn't possible and we have to pass immigration (+1 needs VOA), pick-up the luggage, transfer to Terminal 3, check-in, go through security- and passport control to the departure gate.

Does somebody have experience with CUN airport, if in 2:40 this is possible?

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 5, 15, 7:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Is the AA schedule change significant enough that you'd qualify for a refund or reissuing of the ticket to a later flight? I would never trust this connection given that:

1) CUN can be a zoo that time of day;
2) Cubana's punctuality leaves much to be desired;
3) this is obviously on two separate tickets;
4) these two airlines have no way to communicate with each other;
5) you'll have no way to communicate with AA in the event of a delay.
Old Aug 6, 15, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Gold, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
I talked to AA and they agreed to change or refund the ticket. But it's the last flight of this day - so I would have to stay a night near the airport, fly to MIA the next morning.

Yes, it's 2 tickets and the AA ticket is CUN - MIA; MCO - MIA - SXM. I was worried to lose the complete ticket in case I can't make the first flight. The lady of the AA call center said in case I would show up in CUN late, can't reach the flight, they would put us on the next flight (waiting list) and I wouldn't lose the complete ticket.
Old Aug 6, 15, 10:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ChristianKiev View Post
I talked to AA and they agreed to change or refund the ticket. But it's the last flight of this day - so I would have to stay a night near the airport, fly to MIA the next morning.

Yes, it's 2 tickets and the AA ticket is CUN - MIA; MCO - MIA - SXM. I was worried to lose the complete ticket in case I can't make the first flight. The lady of the AA call center said in case I would show up in CUN late, can't reach the flight, they would put us on the next flight (waiting list) and I wouldn't lose the complete ticket.

You're relying on AA agents giving you the benefit of thev"flat tire rule"; that's kind of like relying on luck, especially in any country where agents aren't empowered and are discouraged from making independent decisions. Not to mention they will accommodate you on the next flights with availability. I'd definitely opt for an overnight connection if I could under these circumstances.
Old Aug 12, 15, 7:55 am
Original Poster

So now, only 1.5 weeks later and 3.5 months before the flight AA changed the flight times again, departure 6:10 pm instead 5:45 pm...

1.) Now we do have 3:05 connection time (in case CUBANA is in time). What do you think, possible or better fly from CUN to MIA the next morning?
2.) My experience with AA is very little and I'm shocked about all the changes. Is this normal with AA. It's hard to plan a trip when they change the departure times every 1.5 weeks.
Old Aug 12, 15, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ChristianKiev View Post
So now, only 1.5 weeks later and 3.5 months before the flight AA changed the flight times again, departure 6:10 pm instead 5:45 pm...

1.) Now we do have 3:05 connection time (in case CUBANA is in time). What do you think, possible or better fly from CUN to MIA the next morning?
2.) My experience with AA is very little and I'm shocked about all the changes. Is this normal with AA. It's hard to plan a trip when they change the departure times every 1.5 weeks.
AA andUS are merging operations (17 Oct US ceases to exist), so in addition to the usual seasonal changes there will undoubtedly be lots of schedule adjustments like this..

In light of this, I'd plan an overnight, myself.

Search this Thread