Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Heading to Los Cabos...is it safe to rent a car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Planning a trip to Los Cabos and I see the rate is quite cheap right now. I will be arriving on the 25th for a 3 day stay.

Rental price is around $20~30 for 3 days but I heard that the traffic conditions are a bit harsh in Los Cabos (gas charge, police, insurance etc) and wondering if I should just take the hotel shuttle ($60 for two passengers roundtrip).

Is Los Cabos taxi prices pretty low or is it better to rent a car?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by nowstime
Planning a trip to Los Cabos and I see the rate is quite cheap right now. I will be arriving on the 25th for a 3 day stay.

Rental price is around $20~30 for 3 days but I heard that the traffic conditions are a bit harsh in Los Cabos (gas charge, police, insurance etc) and wondering if I should just take the hotel shuttle ($60 for two passengers roundtrip).

Is Los Cabos taxi prices pretty low or is it better to rent a car?
Not having been there yet I have no insight into driving conditions or costs of taxis but in my experience taxis anywhere in Mexico are very inexpensive. I imagine you would be hard-pressed to spend $20/day on taxis there.

See other threads for driving and renting in Mexico; main thing to remember is to take the full insurance - which will add significantly to the cost but will be the best money ever spent should you easily be unfortunate enough to need it.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think diving in Cabo San Lucas and the cape area would me much more leisurely than driving in D.F. (Mexico City). But do take precautions when renting a car - anywhere, actually, as even in the US the rental companies have become much more adept at identifying things they can bill you for after the fact., and they have always been so in Mexico. Be sure to read the thread on renting cars in Mexico here. Insurance, photograph your car from all angles, etc.

Now as to whether it'll be practical, that depends on whether you will stay in one area and relax or whether you prefer to be free to move around.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

We rented a car. We found it easy to drive, and liked the flexibility of being able to go where we wanted when we wanted.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
A lot will depend on where you're staying and where you want to go and what you want to do when you're there. "Los Cabos" defines an area that is very spread out, a good 20 to 25 miles from end to end. I've found taxis to be expensive there, but driving is pretty easy.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:14 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
For comparison purposes, last week I paid US$30 for a taxi from the Cabo Marina to the near side of the San Jose Del Cabo hotel district. It's just about 19 miles. Took a bit of negotiation to get down to that price.

In reverse, the taxis charge about $10-12 more if you are originating at a hotel.

While we did not find a need to rent a car, the roads down there were well maintained. Speed limits though are ignored.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Be aware: a number of reports indicate visitors are having their credit card information snatched at markets, including the "big box" stores, in this area. One person who was quoted in Undercurrent (diver's paid newsletter) says she found out about it initially when someone tried to purchase a laptop at Best Buy with her credit card number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.