Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from Mexico City to TLC for an early flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Getting from Mexico City to TLC for an early flight

I am getting into Mexico city at 9:00 am and have a flight departing from Toluca at 7:00 am the following morning. I would like to spend the day in Mexico City, are there any options to get me to TLC in time for my flight or is it better I find a place to stay in Toluca?

I found the Caminante bus, but none of them seem to leave early enough for my flight. Are there other bus options that would work with my schedule?

Is a taxi a feasible option and if so, about how much would it cost and how long would it take?

If there aren't any good bus/taxi options, is there much to see, do, and eat in Toluca?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:34 am

Do and see in Toluca? No. Eat? Sure.

Interjet runs shuttles from various points in Mexico City to/from TLC, and they have a 5AM departure from Santa Fe, which should be sufficient for a 7AM TLC departure. See here. Otherwise a cab it would have to be - unsure on the cost, but note that the short toll road is not cheap.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Do and see in Toluca? No. Eat? Sure.

Interjet runs shuttles from various points in Mexico City to/from TLC, and they have a 5AM departure from Santa Fe, which should be sufficient for a 7AM TLC departure. See here. Otherwise a cab it would have to be - unsure on the cost, but note that the short toll road is not cheap.
Thanks. Online travel guides I used estimated 200 pesos for the taxi and 65 pesos for the tolls. Does that seem too cheap?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I strongly and respectfully disagree - there are quite a few worthwhile sights to see in Toluca. My wife's family lives there so I am there for several weeks each year. A day is enough, though.

Definitely go and stay overnight. Take the Caminante bus - much cheaper, safer, and WAY more comfortable than a taxi. drops you off in the middle of town and then a ten minute and inexpensive cab ride to the zocalo where most of the significant sights are.

the primary thing to see is the Cosmovitral - it is the historic covered market place that is now a very nice botanical garden. But its the building itself that is not to be missed - the entire building has been turned into the worlds largest stained glass display. http://sic.conaculta.gob.mx/ficha.ph...eo&table_id=51

It is located just off the central zocalo - the cathedral is very nice and there is an excellent variety of quality and significant art museums as well including Numismatic museum which is unique in Latin America.

The 3 year old Grupo Modelo museum of science and industry is world class with a fabulous permanent exhibit on the science of brewing and distributing beer. www.mumci.org

My favorite hotel there is the Quinta Del Rey on Paseo Tollocan - most everyone says its the best in the city, it is very near the airport, and it is reasonably priced. The restaurant is excellent. The Crowne Plaza is just down the street and is probably second best. you wont go wrong with either and they are just 15 minutes from the airport.

if you are into soccer try catch a Toluca Red Devils game at the "bombanero" - great atmosphere in a smaller urban stadium. Inexpensive, too - even 24oz corona's are only a $1us!! Even if you cant get a game visit their "Salon de Fama" - it is fabulously designed with a great soccer library and of course, row after row after row of all the hardware they have won. But please make a point to ask them for any information on their 1998 Concacaf Cup championship game and where that Runner Up trophy is that indicates they lost to DC United.... (yes, I am a diehard DCU fan and the last time I was there they refused to put anything on display indicating they lost a major game to an "gringo" team)

Just East of Toluca is the city of Metepec; great stuff in artisanal center famous for its pottery, especially the "Arboles de Vida". Be sure to have some tequila ice cream (yum!) while checking out all the shops. check out the Red church and San Juan Cathedral. Maybe go to the capilla at the top of hill for a nice view of the entire valley.

If you are the outdoorsy type, get ride up to the Volcano - Nevado Toluca - it is long extinct but has two beautiful crater lakes, is the 3rd or 4th tallest mountain in the country. long

Just be aware the altitude of Toluca is about 8,700ft, quite a bit higher than Mexico City and you might feel it.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm Reason: add English language link to property
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. Staying in Toluca is something I will consider. Any input on the taxi fares/tolls if we do stay in Mexico City? This is my first trip to Mexico and I'm not sure if I want to skip Mexico City, even though I realize I won't be seeing much in only a day.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Thanks for the great info. Staying in Toluca is something I will consider. Any input on the taxi fares/tolls if we do stay in Mexico City? This is my first trip to Mexico and I'm not sure if I want to skip Mexico City, even though I realize I won't be seeing much in only a day.
Uber will take you to Toluca for 1200 pesos (about 90USD):

https://www.uber.com/cities/mexico-city
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Gotta be honest, Mexico City is definitely the more touristy place to be (kinda like the difference in Italy between Rome and industrial Modena (where Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, & Bugatti are made - you can see where my preference lies).

Taxis are cheap in Mexico but, as a tourist you should not simply hail a cab off the street. Only take cabs that you have called for from a hotel, or major office building.

At ~$6us for 14 miles the toll road from DF to Toluca is quite expensive, but of course that is relative...

If uber is as nice in Mexico as it is here in Wash DC then $1,200 pesos sounds about right. But even for me that seems absurdly extravagant.

My brother in law just confirmed a taxi from MEX to Metepec is about 600 pesos (~$45us); to the zocalo in Toluca will be just a few dollars more.

But, really, take the Caminante bus for only ~$15us, it is MUCH more comfortable - especially if you get stuck in traffic (drinks, bathroom, movies, bigger windows to see out of), much safer, and takes the exact same amount of time.

A taxi from either bus terminal to anywhere in Toluca will be about $5us.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Look up for Caminante Mini Vans at their web page. See departure times from Camino Real Santa Fe or Planco and take a cab to Camino Real Santa Fe or Polanco. This will save you time and money and you ll avoid observatorio bus station.
You can do this the night before flight and after enjoying all Mexico City has to offer, and stay at ultra cheap but ultra clean City Junior or One Hotels, which charge $50 USD a night tax and transportation to airport included.

Last edited by carlitos; Sep 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There's also a presumably more economical Quinta Del Rey Express - with airport transportation offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.