Wiki Posts
Search

DF - foodborne illness outbreak?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
DF - foodborne illness outbreak?

Hi - I'm just wondering if there's some kind of bug going around DF at the moment.

Last week I was in the city along with four colleagues. Each one of us came down with food poisoning over the course of that week, from different food eaten at different places.

My boss and I apparently got the bug last Sunday eating at one of the restaurants in the Mercado Medellín in Roma Sur. A couple of other coworkers came down with something similar a few days later, eating fish tacos somewhere in the Zona Rosa. Another coworker thinks he got sick from the hotel breakfast this past Friday.

I don't think we could have each infected each other, as the three groups of sick people never actually ate a meal together or had much contact with each other.

I've traveled a fair bit in Mexico over the years and never once gotten sick - and the fact that every one of us came down with similar symptoms within days makes me think there might be something going around in DF.

Anyone?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
hard to say - the Mexican governments ability for identifying, tracking and reporting of say, a salmonella or similar outbreak is much less than in the US but I havent heard any news reports of something significant going (and the mexican news is on in my house every day).

however, based on your comments it is not likely since you all apparently ate completely different foods at different places and different times. If you all had the same food in common that had a common distribution point, it might be more probable.

But just having some intestinal "distress" doesnt mean the bug was specifically "foodborne". You may have gotten it from water, or ice in a beverage, picked it up from a cab, or a handrail or someone sneezing at your business meetings....

Making any real judgement even more difficult, you guys might have been carrying the bug for a while but your body was able to fight it off for several days before symptoms appeared.

in short, probably not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.