Wiki Posts
Search

Good food tours in Mexico City?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Good food tours in Mexico City?

I'm headed to Mexico City for the long weekend coming up. As a bit of a foodie I've found food tours to be a good activity in other cities - any suggestions for good operators in Mexico City?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:56 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
So far I have found three to my liking, although I'm sure that there are more. These are:

- Mexican Food Tours (Polanco area)
- Sabores Mexico Food Tours (Roma area)
- Culinary Backstreets (Centro area). They are the most expensive of the three charging $85 USD p.p.

I posted a thread asking for feedback about the first two but I did not receive any reply to this day. Since I am fluent in Spanish I think I will do some more research and venture on my own to explore some of the places that really interest me. Some of the sources that I use are Time Out, Culinary Backstreets and Trip Advisor.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by aw; Aug 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: Free Agent
All the food tours in Mexico City seem to be overpriced. I've got a reservation with Eat Mexico coming up for $85. Will post back. Some of the other food tours may be half the price (and still overpriced) but seem to just shuttle you from restaurant to restaurant. Not street food.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:02 am
Suspended

very useful post for me as i also plan ti visit mexico next week.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Phew! I finished the Eat Mexico tour today, and I'm stuffed!

http://www.eatmexico.com/tours/

You gotta pace yourself, because you'll end up sampling tamales, atole, touring a small tortilleria, then onto tlacoyos, quesadillas, steamed tacos, burritos, a stop in a coffee shop, then tacos al pastor, and carnitas!

From what I could gather, this is the only food tour that does street food. And the places my guide took me to were terrific, and we were allowed to eat as much as we wanted. It has a maximum group size of 4, which partly explains the $85/person fee, but I felt it was worth the extra money compared to the other operators.

The tour guide also brought plasticware, hand sanitizer, and anything else you might need.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
I actually ended up going with Eat Mexico as well, except the late night tacos/mezcal tour. Very good experience, similar to yours - except we mainly went to storefront type establishments rather than street vendors. Quite expensive but when you factor in transport to everything plus the food and drinks it's not such a bad deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.