Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Playa Del Carmen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Playa Del Carmen

I'm planning a trip to Playa del Carmen. What are your thoughts on all-inclusive? I'm looking to enjoy the beach and relax on this vacation, but also have some good meals..is that possible with an all-inclusive? Or would you suggest finding places around town to eat? Also, hotel/resort recommendations are most welcome Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
We have stayed there twice both times in all inclusives. The 1st one was nice grounds and able to use three different properties but the food and wine served was so so. The 2nd time different all inclusive better food grounds not as nice. Both times prices were extremely reasonable for a week includings flights from West coast booked through Jen travel. So depends what you want to pay. But both times had a Great time!!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed a little further down the coast, but enjoyed out AI this year. Stayed at a mini resort within a larger resort. There were lots of dining options, but it was hit and miss as to which were good (and the good were pleasant) or not so great (which were edible, but certainly nothing memorable!) A large variety was the key for us, if it was rubbish we could never go back, if it was good we could return! They did have good booze (high end spirits etc).
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
We have some very close friends who recently stayed at Grand Velas (which is in that general area). The husband is a gourmand of the highest order, and was naturally hesitant about staying at an AI.

In short, he was uniformly impressed with all the restaurants at Grand Velas. Actually, impressed isn't the right word - he was blown away!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As the OP is not specifically looking for Luxury Hotels, I am moving this thread to the Mexico Forum.
Please follow there...
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: All of the above
We stayed at Grand Velas this past February and were very impressed. As a foodie myself,this exceeded expectations. Great spa as well.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Personally in Playa del carmen.. I would stay at an all inclusive, but have the flexibility of eating in Playa del Carmen to change up the routine.. Palace resorts looks pretty respectable..

We just stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba which isn't all inclusive.. but we did have breakfast plan each day.. so pretty nice as the food prices seemed reasonable for supper.. We weren't all that hungry, so we ate breakfast late in the morning, and supper a bit earlier, some snacks in the fridge for the family in case they were hungry.. and seem to do us fine..
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by InternationalTrvlr120
..but also have some good meals..is that possible with an all-inclusive?
generally not. Food is almost always mediocre overall with a few highlight dishes.

On a personal note, I have friends & associates that have said they really liked almost all the food while on their all-inclusive trips but then I see what they order when we go out & I know that what they consider really good I'd probably consider meh. (I also think they enjoyed the unlimited drinks the most out of their all-inclusive deal).
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:21 pm

Ive been to the Riviera Maya several times and always at AI's. Perhaps its that I enjoy the drinks more than the meals...or perhaps its that when i stay for a week, I get to know other travelers. If I stayed at a hotel and tried many different restaurants, I might not see the same person twice. Also..I get to walk to everything. If you stay at a hotel...you cab it?

As for recommendations, Ive stayed several times at the RIU Palace Mexico..but Im 60 and married. If youre single and 30, you woudnt like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.