Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Is Mexico tourism about to go over a cliff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Mexico tourism about to go over a cliff?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don't have any safety-related qualms about going to Mexico. The resort areas in Cancun and Cabo are safer than most US inner cities (that's not saying much though).

The primary factor keeping people away is the cost, and travel is an optional expense during tough economic times. Unemployment is still at 10%, and airfares are relatively high to Mexican resorts compared with a few years ago. There is also hurricane season coming up...

We are going back to Cabo in August and Cancun in December courtesy of my in-laws and their timeshares.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:48 am

Ok, what is a really big issue in Mexico is Juarez and Tijuana. Believe me I have been there and yes there are ugly and I didn't saw anything bad, but still. Other cities are so different. Mexico City is so big that many parts are safe. Also Cancun, Acapulco, Cabo, etc... are mostly safe and offer a great security program for foreign visitor.s
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: UA, NW
I used to teach at a college that had an exchange program in San Jose, Costa Rica for students of Spanish.

During the late 1980s, the program had a terrible time recruiting. Evidently, the students' parents took out maps, saw that Costa Rica is just south of Nicaragua, and said, "No way."

The Spanish professors tried to tell the parents that Costa Rica was safe, peaceful, and relatively prosperous, but no such luck. It was years before they were able to attract the number of students that the program was designed for.

What's really safe? A lot more than we think. What's really dangerous? A lot less than we think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.