Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Thanks
It is important that others be aware in both threads IMO as it is misleading based on current expectations.
It is almost unfair as it prompts others into what is esentially the same card product but denies the benefit to those that did the referral.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 15, 2006 at 2:08 pm
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cactuspete
Many of us refer (in a generic sense - "hey, this is (was ) the best loyalty program going, you should check it out") people to SPG and the SPG AMEX even without this type of referral bonus. It would be nice to be "compensated" for doing so.
Agree. My reaction when getting this in the mail was a huge AAARRRGH, since over the last 2-3 years I've probably gotten 20-25 family, friends, and coworkers to sign up for the card. Do you think if I gave all their names to Starwood or Amex they'd throw me some points?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
SPG AMEX Referral

I would appreciate anyone out there looking to apply for a SPG Amex card, to please use the following codes when applying at www.americanexpress.com/spgfriends.

Unique ID: 6600167015
Source Code: A000004ICE

Four people may use it, please PM me if you are approved. Does anyone know if existing members can apply? The offer says that only new members can apply, but I don't know if that I get the points for referral is only new members apply or that only new members get the bonus points for opening the card.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
I'm pretty sure you'll only get the referral bonus if the applicant is a first time applicant, the same with their bonus points.

I've used one of my referral cards so far, and that applicant has already gotten their card, made a purchase, and recvieved their 10,000 bonus points, but I still haven't gotten any referral points yet. Hopefully soon.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lefty
I'm pretty sure you'll only get the referral bonus if the applicant is a first time applicant, the same with their bonus points.

I've used one of my referral cards so far, and that applicant has already gotten their card, made a purchase, and recvieved their 10,000 bonus points, but I still haven't gotten any referral points yet. Hopefully soon.
I called AMX and if you read the tiny fine print it says that it will be 8-12 weeks after the promotion ends in January (22nd I think).

I haven't seen anyone post that they got their 5K referral points yet

SacFitz
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
I read the fine print and saw the 8-12 weeks thing, and just assumed it was a CYA thing. Do they really intend to wait 8-12 weeks after the promotion ends in late January, or do they mean 8-12 weeks after a referral/accepted application?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, United 1K
Does anyone know how one goes about getting Unique IDs to refer others?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mkumar23
Does anyone know how one goes about getting Unique IDs to refer others?
These are mailed to existing cardholders.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lefty
I read the fine print and saw the 8-12 weeks thing, and just assumed it was a CYA thing. Do they really intend to wait 8-12 weeks after the promotion ends in late January, or do they mean 8-12 weeks after a referral/accepted application?
The AMX rep told me after the closing period of the promotion. It may be a CYA, but I have not seen any referral points post as of yet.

Has any other FT'er gotten the 5K refferal points yet?

SacFitz
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:47 pm

I got a PM today from a FTer that I referred saying that they just received their 12.5K bonus from *wood (10K + another 2.5K for adding a cardholder), keep in mind that *wood said, "Bonus Starpoints will appear on your Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after your first purchase," in their case it posted much faster than that - actually in only about 3 weeks.

That being said I have not received my 5K referral bonus yet.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:01 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
What is best sign-up offer for AMEX SPG card at present?

My wife is going to sign up for an SPG card, so I wonder what is the best sign-up offer available right now. Several previous threads mention a 6000 point bonus, but AMEX seems to be offering 10,000 point as standard right now (was it increased?). Is this the best one can do?
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
My wife is going to sign up for an SPG card, so I wonder what is the best sign-up offer available right now. Several previous threads mention a 6000 point bonus, but AMEX seems to be offering 10,000 point as standard right now (was it increased?). Is this the best one can do?
Bump - surely someone knows!
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:24 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
10K seems to be the best offer out there right now...
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
At this time, the 10,000 bonus Starpoints is the best offer.

I would greatly appreciate if your wife would sign up for the Starwood AmEx at www.americanexpress.com/spgfriends

She will receive the 10,000 bonus Starpoints if she applies for this card using the above link and enters my unique ID#: 6600008215.

By having her enter my unique ID# I will receive 5,000 bonus Starpoints.

Thank you, Jim

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:43 am

I believe the 6,000 and 10,000 points referred to here are the same offer. You get 6,000 at signup and then 4,000 when you use the card, or vice versa.

My understanding is that 10,000 is the best offer you can get, but read the fine print and make sure the 6,000 offer you're seeing isn't really the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.