Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pros and cons of a Residence Inn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Pros: can take my 80-year old (increasingly forgetful) Mom to FL and share 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite. I can keep an eye on her but not have to share a room.

Cons: none, in this particular case!
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I never paid attention to the 1/2 earn rate! I'll be more careful next time I consider a RI.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:05 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
The older RIs (with outdoor corridors) also have 2 story loft suites which can be quite nice to get! Especially if the property is well maintained.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
Also most have self serve laundry facilities. Obviously, on a multi night road trip, having a laundry really helps in less packing.
Although I haven't stayed in an older RI in quite some years, when nearly all of my Marriott stays were split between RI and TPS, I found this to be spotty at best. Like literally a single washer and dryer or maybe a pair shared by a very sizable property.

Not too long ago (1.5 yrs?) I was given a personal tour of a yet-to-open "next generation" (or whatever they're calling it) RI, and I confess to being impressed (don't recall that I checked on the laundry situation, however!). Very sleek furnishings (particularly in the kitchen), everything of seemingly high quality by extended stay standards, built to feel solid, open and close smoothly and quietly, and probably to last. I had already made my exodus to SPG by that point, but even at half points I must admit that it was tempting to take my weekly business there (this was in Doral, FL).

Moral of the story: As far as I know, there are almost two completely separate RI sub-brands/generations, and the differences are stark.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I know it's a minority opinion on FT, but past a certain threshold choosing hotels based on points earning is letting the tail wag the dog. Other things being roughly equal, sure, I'll choose the hotel that pays more points. But when an RI is non-trivially cheaper or nicer than other hotels where & when I'm staying, I book it and swallow the fact it pays half points.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
There are three flavors of residence inn.

1) original bungalow style
2) Version 2.0, with interior hallways
3) urban reuse of older buildings

tough to generalize therefore.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I find (anecdotally of course) that status goes further at RI, maybe because it is not a business-type hotel. The couple I visit when the wife comes along seem to always have a nice upgrade, unlike the rest of the Marriott world where upgrades are unicorns.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by stvr
There are three flavors of residence inn.

1) original bungalow style
2) Version 2.0, with interior hallways
3) urban reuse of older buildings

tough to generalize therefore.
There is a fourth flavor of Residence Inn. The Andell Inn outside of Charleston, SC is like a Residence Inn on steroids. Room structure is similar to others, but everything is upgraded. Toiletries are huge. Lots of artwork. Breakfast looks like a standard Residence Inn at first (with the standard people cleaning it out like a pack of starving hyenas), but includes homemade biscuits, bacon, and mimosas. Pool is actually heated, unlike many Marriott properties.

For Version 2.0, there is the old red/orange style, or the newer blue/gray style. If they are still using the old red/orange design, the property likely is in desperate need of a renovation. The blue/gray style means the property has been recently renovated. (This is a similar trick you can use for Courtyards.)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:56 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm a fan of RI as a point spend target; twice last year I needed an overnight in Boston and got a room at RI for 40K (before the program merger) or 35K (after). Compared to the $500-ish cash pricing I was seeing for both dates, it was a huge win.

For the October visit, the RI in Cambridge even upgraded me to a 2BR corner suite!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by JW6130
For Version 2.0, there is the old red/orange style, or the newer blue/gray style. If they are still using the old red/orange design, the property likely is in desperate need of a renovation. The blue/gray style means the property has been recently renovated. (This is a similar trick you can use for Courtyards.)
Ugh, yes, I stayed at the Fremont CA CY which was very orange/brown. It was like re-living the 1970s. A few weeks later I was at a CY in the Minneapolis area (St Louis Park? I forget) that was brand new and quite gorgeous, attached to a new Marriott with a nice restaurant. The brand is very inconsistent.

I'm at a RI in Louisville CO (not Kentucky) next week for 14 nights and I'm sort of dreading it. There's a CY there too but based on the pics neither property has been renovated. Not knowing about this point earning discrepancy when I booked so maybe I'll switch to the CY.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by JW6130
There is a fourth flavor of Residence Inn. The Andell Inn outside of Charleston, SC is like a Residence Inn on steroids.
Youre right. Good point. Trio Healdsburg comes to mind in thinking of other hotels in that fourth category.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I know it's a minority opinion on FT, but past a certain threshold choosing hotels based on points earning is letting the tail wag the dog. Other things being roughly equal, sure, I'll choose the hotel that pays more points. But when an RI is non-trivially cheaper or nicer than other hotels where & when I'm staying, I book it and swallow the fact it pays half points.
I will fully admit to being a "point whore": i travel what i think is a ton for work(130+ nights a year) and I want to make the silver lining to that dark cloud as bright as possible. So, when its a paid stay, I will rarely if ever stay at a RI. However, when the family and I are traveling and I am using points, RI is ALWAYS my first choice. I love the properties and their offerings. But for me, the point earn difference between RIs and the other brands is a huge deal breaker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.