Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Coincidentally, W has the higher price point by far over JW (Edition is slightly higher but the sample size is tiny).
Which might be accounted for by the fact there are more JW's in the US than W's and in locations where RevPAR is lower than average. For example, having JW's in Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, Houston, Denver, etc. will lower your average RevPAR, even if otherwise profitable. I'm pretty confident members of the Starwood Board came to the conclusion that on a market by market basis, they were behind Marriott on RevPAR before the acquisition. But ... agree neither JW nor W fit into OP's definition.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Which might be accounted for by the fact there are more JW's in the US than W's and in locations where RevPAR is lower than average. For example, having JW's in Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, Houston, Denver, etc. will lower your average RevPAR, even if otherwise profitable. I'm pretty confident members of the Starwood Board came to the conclusion that on a market by market basis, they were behind Marriott on RevPAR before the acquisition. But ... agree neither JW nor W fit into OP's definition.
Your point is valid...but it becomes moot when you compare ADRs for W and JW in almost every market in which they coexist. Certainly there are more JWs...but almost inevitably the W commands higher rates even when there are JWs in the same locale. You’re not going to find many, if any, examples where a JW has a higher rate than a W in the same locale.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T

I’m telling you that St Regis Washington offers the Platinum breakfast benefit in its restaurant.
They did not give me breakfast at all when I stayed there in May. Is this after 18-Aug?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before August 18th, SPG Plats should have been offered free breakfast in place of the Plat arrival amenity of 500 welcome points. Sometimes there was also a choice of a local gift. IIRC the rules were slightly different overseas for some brands, but this was the basic version for Starwood at nonresort properties without lounges and without free breakfast for all (element).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:27 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by lingua101
They did not give me breakfast at all when I stayed there in May. Is this after 18-Aug?
The St Regis Washington’s SPG Platinum benefit pre-Aug 18 and Marriott Platinum benefit post-Aug 18 both includes breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:40 pm

The St Regis Washington’s SPG Platinum benefit pre-Aug 18 and Marriott Platinum benefit post-Aug 18 both includes breakfast in the restaurant.

So when you said St Regis Washington, you are indeed refering to Washington DC the one next to White house right?

They did not offer me that benefit. I did ask but they say no free breakfast. I thought this is "standard" St R
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lingua101
So when you said St Regis Washington, you are indeed refering to Washington DC the one next to White house right?

They did not offer me that benefit. I did ask but they say no free breakfast. I thought this is "standard" St R
Yes.

It is standard for St Regis. Perhaps they didn’t see or know of your Platinum status. Either way, it’s spilled milk now. I’d move on. And let’s return to discussion of luxury brands.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:21 am

Yes.

It is standard for St Regis. Perhaps they didn’t see or know of your Platinum status. Either way, it’s spilled milk now. I’d move on. And let’s return to discussion of luxury brands.
They know I am Platinum. That's why I have been avoiding St R based on that experience
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:43 am

Is there anybody here who considers Ritz Carlton to be their favorite hotel brand?
Or at least would prefer it to, say, the St. Regis, Waldorf or Park Hyatt?

I am talking about the brand as a whole, not a specific/individual hotel.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would be if I could get a club level room (that's otherwise of comparable category) for the rate I would be paying for the StR or PH. I'm not sure about Waldorf as the only one I know is Waldorf Towers in NYC (several stays and nice suite upgrades under FHR). BTW, I'm Glob with Hyatt as well as PPwithAmbassador in Starriott.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Is there anybody here who considers Ritz Carlton to be their favorite hotel brand?

Personally, I'd stay at the Park Hyatt out of that group. But I can't recall ever staying at a Waldorf. For me, the RC's aren't worth the extra money. I often feel the same way about JW's, although lately they seem to be priced more in line with the "lower" Marriott brands.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I suspect St Regis is the "most luxury" in that group of chains (mixture of cost and style/ facilities), but I would also usually choose a Park Hyatt because I like their service style and (usually) the architecture. It's usually a bit more modern and not linked to a 19th century New York upper class that I feel nothing in common with as the St Regis brand is.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by jaejaez

Although I like the Ritz-Carlton, based on my limited experience at each, I would in most cases rather stay at a Waldorf, Park Hyatt or St. Regis than the RC.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I suspect St Regis is the "most luxury" in that group of chains (mixture of cost and style/ facilities), but I would also usually choose a Park Hyatt because I like their service style and (usually) the architecture. It's usually a bit more modern and not linked to a 19th century New York upper class that I feel nothing in common with as the St Regis brand is.
I also give the edge to St Regis over PH, RC, WA, etc. I even give the edge to St Regis over Four Seasons, since I so love the StR brand standard butler service.

That being said, I also have stayed at many excellent PH properties (most recently Sydney and Istanbul) and think their standards as comparably high—but lacking butler service.

I’ve only recently stayed at RC properties (San Francisco currently, Kyoto in May, and Boston in April) but have found their standards also as comparably high—but again lacking butler service.

I must disagree with you about StR being always non-modern. Park Hyatt always has a modern, clean aesthetic. St Regis has both the classic/traditional aesthetic relative to its location (New York, Atlanta, Washington, Bora Bora, Punta Mita, Houston, etc) but also has modern clean aesthetic properties quite comparable to PH (San Francisco, Mexico City, Bal Harbour, Istanbul, soon to be Toronto, soon to be Hong Kong, etc). Your assumption that all StR properties are of the gilded Beaux Arts traditional style of the New York StR property is quite inaccurate and incomplete.

One of the problems for modern aesthetics to me is that the hotel could be anywhere. This was a major issue for Four Seasons, which they started to change only in the later 2000s. That still can be an issue for PH. The PH Vienna is a beautifully modern hotel, but you could move It to New York and one might not know the difference. StR conveniently has modern properties in locations where more modern sensibility or a modern aesthetic is appropriate, and has more traditional properties relaying a sense of place where that aesthetic is more appropriate. Park Hyatt doesn’t allow that choice; St Regis does.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Your assumption that all StR properties are of the gilded Beaux Arts traditional style of the New York StR property is quite inaccurate and incomplete.
That’s not what I said though! I have stayed at many modern St Regis properties (Istanbul, Mexico City, Beijing, Moscow, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai for example), but all unarguably hark back to the founding days of the St Regis New York: it’s the entire point of the brand. Every St Regis has a signature Bloody Mary, Astor Suites, Butler Service, references to the parties held in New York, etc. It is not that the hotel architecture has to be from the 19th Century, but that the entire brand is based around a reference to the Upper East Side in the 19th Century.

Arab, Russian and Chinese money is obsessed with Anglo-Saxon nobility and the days of empire, which is why the brand resonates with their target market and is so successful. It’s fair to say i’m effectively the opposite of a Russian oligarch or a Chinese govt fixer, as a result this aspect of the brand is actually a turn-off for me.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Nov 15, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.