Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott handling of SPG-approved BRG rules: what to do now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott handling of SPG-approved BRG rules: what to do now?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
BTW, could we change the thread title to “Marriott cheats ....”?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by margarita girl
BTW, could we change the thread title to “Marriott cheats ....”?
I get your point, but my communication was with SPG BRG team. While they are under Marriott now and SPG as such doesn't exist anymore, just writing "Marriott" would give a wrong impression that I contacted Marriott BRG team, which, I assume, is still a different department (I may be wrong though, just a guess).

P. S. Messaged SPG Champion, let's see what he replies (if he does).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barracuda93
I get your point, but my communication was with SPG BRG team. While they are under Marriott now and SPG as such doesn't exist anymore, just writing "Marriott" would give a wrong impression that I contacted Marriott BRG team, which, I assume, is still a different department (I may be wrong though, just a guess).

P. S. Messaged SPG Champion, let's see what he replies (if he does).
I disagree. It's a problem caused by Marriott and that's who is making the rules for the BRG team now.
GalaxyChris and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Leave a 1 star review at the hotel you were staying at. That will get someone's attention especially if you have high status. Any smart GM or FD MGR will give you the 1000 pts if Marriott won't to fix your review. Shame on Marriott.

You could also file a BBB complaint. Cost them several hundred dollars to respond.
It would be wrong to leave a 1 star review if OP had a great stay. It's not the hotel's fault and I'm sure OP can afford $12.5 to buy his 1000 points if he needs it.

Again it's the principle that counts - not the monetary value.

OP please update if you hear form SPG lurker.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Updating: Starwood Lurker just passed my message back to BRG team, saying he is not in position to deal with BRG matters. And then I got reply from BRG team with the same thing: they deny to honor their previously confirmed offer.

Well, looks like the only options left are phone call to Marriott (instead of SPG) and then legal action path.
GalaxyChris and joakgarp like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

........then legal action path.
Seriously? Yes, I wish Marriott could have honored 6,000 point credit but seriously.
dayone likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Well, looks like the only options left are phone call to Marriott (instead of SPG) and then legal action path.
Do it. I'm sure a class action law suit will work considering how many ppl here on ft been asking about up coming brg with 2000 spg points awards.
​​​​​​I hate it when big companies overrun their customers as Marriott has been doing for a month now.
Someone needs to teach Marriott a lesson to not mess around.

Step 2. Gather plenty of investors, form a group and buy back Starwood and all of its hotels from this mess.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joakgarp
.....Step 2. Gather plenty of investors, form a group and buy back Starwood and all of its hotels from this mess.
Yes, finally a better suggestion.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Updating: Starwood Lurker just passed my message back to BRG team, saying he is not in position to deal with BRG matters. And then I got reply from BRG team with the same thing: they deny to honor their previously confirmed offer.

Have you tried filing a complaint with BBB?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Have you tried filing a complaint with BBB?
I will wait first for a response from Marriott guest relations. But thanks for a suggestion.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

Stop calling. Write. Email is fine. Use executive contacts like those found the Elliott site. Don't threaten legal action unless you mean it.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:00 pm

So is this a difference of 1,000 Marriott points of 13,000? Because if Starpoints were supposed to be granted then it would be the latter
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:27 pm

Boo. Marriott's customer service department deserves some Game of Thrones style shaming for such stupidity. Give OP what was promised already!

Last edited by tda1986; Sep 15, 2018 at 5:27 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So is this a difference of 1,000 Marriott points of 13,000? Because if Starpoints were supposed to be granted then it would be the latter
SPG BRG promised 2000 SPG points = 6000 Marriott pts at time of booking. New rules say 5000 Marriott points which is what OP got. So he's missing out on 1000 Marriott points. It's the principle, not the points!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
SPG BRG promised 2000 SPG points = 6000 Marriott pts at time of booking. New rules say 5000 Marriott points which is what OP got. So he's missing out on 1000 Marriott points. It's the principle, not the points!
In fact I haven't got even 5000 so far. They just said they will give 5000 instead of 6000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.