Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott handling of SPG-approved BRG rules: what to do now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald

I have had a stay at SPG property in the end of August that was booked and had a BRG approved for it long back. My choice of BRG was 2000 Starpoints, and that was promised to me in BRG confirmation. After my stay I did not get BRG points and sent an inquiry to SPG BRG team. They said that systems aren't yet working correctly, so points will post somewhat later, and added, to my surprise, that they will only give 5000 points instead of the 6000 (2000 x 3).
I reminded that my booking and BRG approval were before the merger and my confirmation has 2000 Starpoints, which is 6000 points in the combined program, and requested to escalate to a supervisor. Well, here is what got now:

As part of our loyalty program merger on 8/18, the current balance of Starpoints for our legacy Starwood Preferred Guest members was multiplied by three as a one-time conversion. Any earnings of reward points after this conversion took place are based on the new program. This includes Best Rate Guarantee claims. As points post after the stay takes place, they are posted based on the current parameters of the loyalty program. We can no longer post 2,000 Starpoints as Starpoints have been retired. The current reward for approved Best Rate Guarantee claims is 5,000 reward points so this is what will be accrued for your stay.
I apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause you, but this is our protocol for all claims that fall within this situation of being approved prior to the merger but posting after the merger is complete.

This is definitely cheating and very likely violating consumer rights laws. Any advise what to do with this now?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So, annoying you are getting screwed over...but how much are you going to fight for something worth about $8?
TerryK likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by barracuda93
As part of our loyalty program merger on 8/18, the current balance of Starpoints for our legacy Starwood Preferred Guest members was multiplied by three as a one-time conversion. Any earnings of reward points after this conversion took place are based on the new program. This includes Best Rate Guarantee claims. As points post after the stay takes place, they are posted based on the current parameters of the loyalty program.
the stay you had at the end of august, were SPG points posted to your account under the old rules, then multiplied by three - or were you awarded points per the new formula?

(we both know your answer is the second one)

I really dont see how this is any different.

Sure they might give you 1000 marriot points just to make you go away, but I wouldnt think this is a big deal. And i'm a huge stickler for businesses doing what they say they will. The truth of the matter is your BRG form letter said 2k starpoints because thats what it was under the old program. but you dont get credits till you actually make the stay, and your stay did fall under the new program. This is a reasonable instance of a system that wasnt prepared to handle the unique challenges presented by the merger.

reach out to an spg lurger and express your displeasure. they may be able to grease the wheels for you. or you could take them to court over 1000 marriot points... :/
barracuda93 likes this.

Last edited by stant; Sep 10, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While I understand the OP's frustration, on this one I'm going to say let it go. There are bigger fish to fry (issues to be addressed). If you were to buy the 1K points it would cost you $12.50. For me at least, it's not worth fighting the big fight over $12.50. OVMV.

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by barracuda93
This is definitely cheating and very likely violating consumer rights laws. Any advise what to do with this now?
My post disappeared!

I agree that this is not acceptable. Were you doing BRGs when SPG increased the discount from 10 to 20 or 20 to 25%? I was, and I was not offered the higher discount on previously approved BRGs. Marriott should honour the 6000 pts even if it's by depositing 1000 goodwill points in your account!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
I find this to be very distressing. The right thing to do (on Marriott's part) is to make good on the promise. Someone mentioned it only being $12.50 worth of points. That makes it especially foolish on Marriott's behalf to NOT make good on the original promise.

When I was a young pup my elementary school was on a local game show (school vs school where questions were asked of the contestants). We won a few rounds (lost in the city wide finals), and as a prize we got something like $25 or $50 a piece per round in a local bank savings program. (This was back in the passbook days.) I added my money to that account over time from doing various jobs, like mowing lawns. Anyway, a sometime later, I went to the bank to get interest credited. The amount in the passbook differed from the amount the teller said I had in the account...by $0.50. The teller said "it's only 50 cents". I responded that "yes, it is only 50 cents, and that is why it should only be 50 cents to you, the bank." With that, I went to the branch manager and had them withdraw every penny from the bank, and they lost a customer for life, and in that a customer that would have been considerably profitable for them over time.

It costs considerable money for a business to acquire a customer. That is why it is so important to try to do the right things in terms of retaining them. Examples like this are just so stupid it floors me.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
While I understand the OP's frustration, on this one I'm going to say let it go. There are bigger fish to fry (issues to be addressed). If you were to buy the 1K points it would cost you $12.50. For me at least, it's not worth fighting the big fight over $12.50. OVMV.

Cheers.
Yes $12.50 worth of points is not the hill I'd choose to make a stand on but by the same token this it costs Marriott $12.50 or less to do the right thing here and their response does seem rather tone deaf. Who knows how much future $ they might lose from the OP over $12.50 just seems dumb to not give the OP the points IMO.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The more I see stories like this, the more I am amazed at how bad Marriott's customer service is and how poorly thought out the integration .

Bad form
jr1202sr, Marschel and yurtripper like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Yes lots of us folks in the brg thread were sure that Marriott will ofc hold written promises and approvals of 2000 spg points. Now they surprisingly didn't and it says a lot about the company.

I'd fight this out and escalate further if you don't get what you have been promised. It's all written so easy to prove.

​​​​​​

Last edited by joakgarp; Sep 11, 2018 at 2:21 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:12 pm

I have never done a brg, and probably never will, but shame on Marriott. OP, I hope you continue this fight, even if only a dollar is at stake. If there is no pushback, Marriott will treat its loyalists as it has been.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:16 am

Barracuda93, please continue the fight.

It is not the question of money or measly MR points, as Copyright2018's story of 50 cents so aptly describes. It's high time Marriott should learn to behave like a professional and service-oriented company that guests would love to do business with. By forcing them to do the right thing, you are doing them and others a favor first and foremost.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
When you find yourself with some time to kill, give them a ring and discuss it with them. Do that four or five times, and even if you don’t get what you want, you can feel good about costing them $20 or $25 for an $8 mistake.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
This is not a $ issue, it's a principle issue.

OP - tried contact the SPG lurker, he is very responsive.
GalaxyChris and barracuda93 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:03 am

Leave a 1 star review at the hotel you were staying at. That will get someone's attention especially if you have high status. Any smart GM or FD MGR will give you the 1000 pts if Marriott won't to fix your review. Shame on Marriott.

You could also file a BBB complaint. Cost them several hundred dollars to respond.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Leave a 1 star review at the hotel you were staying at. That will get someone's attention especially if you have high status. Any smart GM or FD MGR will give you the 1000 pts if Marriott won't to fix your review. Shame on Marriott.

You could also file a BBB complaint. Cost them several hundred dollars to respond.
However, the issue isn't the individual hotel's fault, it's Starriott headquarters/customer service.

Does BBB deal with frequent flyer/frequent sleeper problems?
barracuda93 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.