Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Toronto Marriott Markham [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening April '18. Cat 5. Looks like the e.xec lounge is closed on the weekends

Hotel website:

Toronto Marriott Markham: Markham hotel accommodations

Connected to designer shops, restaurants and across from a theater, the all-new hotel offers access to the best of the Markham. Just minutes away are attractions including Unionville, PAN AM Centre the Varley Art Gallery.

Illuminating the heart of Downtown Markham, the all-new Toronto Marriott Markham reflects Marriott's latest design concepts and stands tall with sophisticated rooms and luxurious amenities. From the moment you step inside the Greatroom which features seven modern seating styles, enjoy an exclusive experience with a full-service bar, bourbon program, and variety of menu items. Retreat to modern accommodations with keyless entry, Netflix, high-speed Wi-Fi and bedside adapter ports that complement our location in Canada's technology hub. From hardwood floors to comtemporary art pieces, every inch of the hotel is sustainably designed for comfort and convenience. Whether you dine at Draco or Ruth's Chris Steak House, pamper yourself at a nearby spa or keep up with your workout regimen in our fitness centre and infinity pool, you'll never have a dull moment. Professionals in need of meeting rooms can utilize our 9,500 square feet of event space. Let Toronto Marriott Markham inspire you throughout your stay.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:36 pm

planning a weekend stay at this hotel. As per the rules for Gold / Plat member, seems I will get 750 points because lounge is closed if I choose not to get breakfast.

"In the U.S. and Canada: any time the Lounge isn't open, Platinum and Gold Elite members are entitled to a daily choice of continental breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points."
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:05 pm
alc

I will be here in mid-May. will be appreciated on your report this weekend. as this is what they show on the web site for the M Club Level 2 Queen Beds room (the one I got for my reservation)

Special Benefits
  • This room features M Club Lounge lounge access
  • Open: 24 hours 7 days a week
  • Cocktails, for a fee
  • Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
  • Complimentary business services
  • Upgraded in-room amenities
  • Complimentary deluxe continental breakfast
  • Complimentary evening reception
  • Complimentary WiFi with kiosks and printer
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:09 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by khkchan
planning a weekend stay at this hotel. As per the rules for Gold / Plat member, seems I will get 750 points because lounge is closed if I choose not to get breakfast.

"In the U.S. and Canada: any time the Lounge isn't open, Platinum and Gold Elite members are entitled to a daily choice of continental breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points."
Platinum amenity is 500 points or $10 food credit. Lounge (M Club) is open 24 hours including weekends so you just get breakfast there (nothing special), no evening reception on Friday/Saturday.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:46 pm
jix

OK had a quick weekend stay there just to review. In summary it's a OK hotel comparable to the Sheraton nearby but just newer, it's more of a nicer Four points.

Parking

The structure next to the hotel has dedicate parking spots available and is also shared with shops near by. There doesn't seem to have any parking ticket issued or license plate registration enforcement, but the hotel charges $20 per night for the parking and they will ask upon check-in, so it's more of just an honor system.

Check-in / Lobby
3 desk available while only 1 has agent manning when I arrived at 4pm, with another guest in front of me. Booked a base room and got upgraded to club room (4th floor), there were a few suites available at check in but the agent said they're fully booked so whatever, at least the hotel is new.

There is a bar and restaurant at the lobby, but didn't see many people there most of the time. Additionally a Ruth Chris is set to open soon.

Room
M Club is located on the 4th floor as well as the club rooms. The 2 beds room seem to have connecting doors so it may be noisy. Design wise it's standard Marriott with a couch by the bed and they kept the desk setup. There is no closet so it's open concept where you hang your clothes in the open area above the fridge. TV has Youtube and Netflix setup and the one good thing is the vast number of power outlet available in the room. 10 USB and at least 12+ power outlets in the room. Bathroom is basic with shower only and just reminded me of four points/aloft except better soft products, water pressure is rather weak and temperature locked to moderately hot. Bed was comfortable but positioned low for some reason.

Club

It's a very nicely decorated lounge with 2 computers and printer and fireplace, but poor soft product (food and drink). The fridge is stocked with canned drinks and there are some snacks and fruit at ~5pm but empty by 7pm and never got restocked. Breakfast is open from 6:30am to 10am and it's just basic continental. I just went there to take pictures and left to get proper breakfast at restaurants nearby.

Pool and Gym
Both the pool and gym are already opened and the equipments in the gym are brand new so that's good. The pool is located on the 3rd floor and is an infinity pool (per the website description) but I really don't see anything fancy about it, plus the window is blocked off so there's nothing to see. There is a water jet function tho that adds resistance to swimming. There's also a balcony/patio outside the pool.

Lastly
I wasn't overly impressed by the hotel, even though it's only my second Marriott properties. I guess my expectation was set too high by Taipei Marriott from 2 years ago. I would pick this hotel over Four Points or Courtyard but the Sheraton nearby is still better in terms of lounge offer, room size (mostly suites to start) and similar price point.
khkchan and Jiatong like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
great pics by Jix in post # 5.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:26 am

Currently at this hotel. The teething problems add up.

Was given keys to a room with people already - went downstairs to get another key but the clerk forgot to add lounge access. Went downstairs again to get keys reprogrammed.

Went to the M lounge at 11pm - finished drinks and empty cans everywhere. There is a single lady keeps complaining about she can't change channels. The fridge is almost out of pops.

Also, the shower stall drain clogged.

Supposed to have free WiFi but once I put in my room number and last name, only charged options are shown.

But at least bed is very comfortable and it's a new hotel.

Parking is at the parking structure. They are still setting up the payment system so parking is free for now. I think you can also park at the empty field outside for free. Be warned that Markham prohibits night parking on city streets.

Checkout was a breeze. Other than the teething problem I would still recommend this hotel.

Last edited by khkchan; May 6, 2018 at 12:17 pm Reason: update after checkout
Old May 7, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
M Club is definitely one of the worst-serviced club I have been. I was there this past Sat and Sun and no associate was on site. Coffee machine was not refilled, uncleaned dishes and cans were plenty. No water and only a few cans of soda in the fridge. Breakfast was nothing to write about. There was only one working elevator. Ice machine was out of ice on the 5th-7th floors (they posted a notice and asked the 5th floor guests to go to 4th or 6th floor to get ice). Rooms are nice because they are new and modern and the bed is comfy.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:02 pm
alc

Parking gates got setup this week and front desk state free parking for Elite Members.

I got one of the M Club on the 4th floor. Was told because I needed the 2 Queen Beds, other wise, I could get a 1 King Suites. But overall, it is a good and new hotel.

Lounge options definitely not the best, but I guess it get the job done. The agent did ask me for my last name and room number a few times until they remember who I am. But they do seems to enforcing the +1 guest policy and I see they inform people with more than 1 guest will be charge a number of times throughout the 2 weeks stay.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:01 pm
jix

Originally Posted by alc

Parking gates got setup this week and front desk state free parking for Elite Members.

Gates as in physical barrier where one has to swipe keycard to enter/exit? Or are they just taking license plate info at check in and issue display pass?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:00 pm
alc

Originally Posted by jix
Gates as in physical barrier where one has to swipe keycard to enter/exit? Or are they just taking license plate info at check in and issue display pass?
it was installing on the day of check-out, so, never actually use it. But it is a physical barrier and there are ticket machine on the main and 3rd floor. I would assumed the hotel guests will get a parking pass or can use room key. Not sure.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP, AC
Wanted to add a data point.

Have stayed here for two 1 night stays, one of which was Christmas Eve, 2018. Used a category 4 cert plus SNA and was given an excellent Executive Suite with waived parking and late checkout at 4 pm (as a LTPP) for our Xmas Eve stay. Surprisingly the M club was open on Xmas day and we were able to have breakfast in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.