Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Still makes me think of a nasty gym shower with the wall dispensers.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I just stayed at an SPG Luxury Collection property with dispensers (The Gwen, Chicago). It took me four hours to shower.
I guess I am missing the four hour shower joke here? I was considering the Gwen for an upcoming trip and aside from the dispensers what was your impression of the hotel for a weekend trip to Chicago?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:35 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The joke was that someone in the thread mentioned that his showers take "several minutes longer" when using dispensers for some undisclosed reason.

My stay at the gwen was extremely short, I checked in after midnight and checked out around 7:00 AM, but the property is nice, the room was great. Didn't really see enough to give a "real" review.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
The joke was that someone in the thread mentioned that his showers take "several minutes longer" when using dispensers for some undisclosed reason.

My stay at the gwen was extremely short, I checked in after midnight and checked out around 7:00 AM, but the property is nice, the room was great. Didn't really see enough to give a "real" review.
LOL...in context your reply was quite humorous. Thanks for the response.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:47 pm

Current stay at the CY Dunn Loring in Vienna, VA. First time seeing the dispensers in a CY. TeaTree brand had a nice scent to it, especially the shampoo .
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
It's funny, I absolutely love the dispensers and will prioritize a hotel with dispensers over one without. The small bottles are SOOO wasteful and I imagine most end up in landfills. On a one night trip, I don't even use a full bottle, and on vacation with my wife we go through a ton of them. Dispensers are much more environmentally responsible and I appreciate that about them.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:55 pm

Interesting that the Sheraton 4P I believe went away from dispensers to individual bottles so there were obviously some issues (eg how do you maintain hygiene in dispensers, deliberate or accidental contamination of the shampoo and conditioners and so on).
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by dcstudent
It's funny, I absolutely love the dispensers and will prioritize a hotel with dispensers over one without. The small bottles are SOOO wasteful and I imagine most end up in landfills. On a one night trip, I don't even use a full bottle, and on vacation with my wife we go through a ton of them. Dispensers are much more environmentally responsible and I appreciate that about them.
Travel for vacation is SOOO wasteful. If you and your wife go through a ton of bottles shouldn’t you bring your own or just not travel on vacation? That would be environmentally responsible.
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Segments
Travel for vacation is SOOO wasteful. If you and your wife go through a ton of bottles shouldn’t you bring your own or just not travel on vacation? That would be environmentally responsible.
come on.. that's like saying driving is wasteful, and while were being wasteful let's just get rid of catalytic converters entirely.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I like the dispensers. Dont have to fumble with a tiny bottle that may or may not run out.

Less wasteful and equal (and I would argue more) benefit. Wish more places would have these.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Antarius
come on.. that's like saying driving is wasteful, and while were being wasteful let's just get rid of catalytic converters entirely.
LOL. My point was we engage in many things which have greater impact on the environment. To say getting rid of individual toiletries is the answer is silly to me. Let me keep my small bottles where I have less concern about them being contaminated. Same reason I prefer hotels offer bottled water rather than asking us to refill from dispensers with potentially contaminated nozzle. May not be intentional contamation but I wouldn't share your water glass either.
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Stayed at Residence Inn Anaheim couple of weeks ago.
They still have those tiny bottles around.
Smell quite horrible so I use those Remede branded one (smells less horrible) that was stolen from St R SF.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I like the dispensers. Dont have to fumble with a tiny bottle that may or may not run out.

Less wasteful and equal (and I would argue more) benefit. Wish more places would have these.
Me too. At some hotel the other night, the body lotion tube was so small it was good for merely a single hand application. And it’s really depressing how many ketchup plastic wrappers are needed for a breakfast. On top of it, much is left inside that you just can’t get out. I should have stayed at the Marriott next door!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
In light of the new EU rules on single use plastics, I suspect that will be the end of small bottles at all hotels in Europe, not just Marriott.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond

I recently stayed at Marriott TianHe in Guangzhou China. Very nice hotel in many reguards. One of the things that I didn't enjoy at all was a small plastic bottle of soap for the lavatory. Hard to open every time and small amount inside. A new small bar of soap would be much preffered and bulk shampoo/gel the shower is great. I'd prefer completely unsented all around though.

Originally Posted by Segments

LOL. My point was we engage in many things which have greater impact on the environment. To say getting rid of individual toiletries is the answer is silly to me. Let me keep my small bottles where I have less concern about them being contaminated.

Good grief. There is always something worse or with greater impact, so the small things don't matter..... They add up! Especially if banned..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.