Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Old Jan 29, 18, 6:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Does anyone know if Courtyard has done away with individual toiletries? I ask because I stayed at the Courtyard in the D.C. suburb of Rosslyn (Arlington), Virginia. The hotel no longer places toiletries, except one bar of soap, in guest rooms, including suites. Instead, they have Tea Tree-branded shampoo, conditioner and body wash dispensers mounted inside the shower not unlike Four Points by Sheraton hotels. The front desk manager told me this is the new brand standard.

Interestingly enough, the hotel is managed by Marriott and not a franchise.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Eh, I prefer that. The Aloft does it that way, too ... ya never run out.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
It's a lot more eco-friendly that way (and I expect a lot more cost-friendly to the hotel as well).

It may take some times for Americans to get used to using a dispenser in the shower, but they're pretty common in some parts of Europe -- even in fairly high-end hotels. If it came down to it, I'd rather have a dispenser with high-quality bath products than mini bottles of something cheap.

For similar reasons, you'll probably see hotels trying to move to more bath gels and body washes rather than bar soaps too.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I also prefer the dispensers. I just wish they'd put a big S(hampoo), C(onditioner) and W (body wash) on them so I don't have squint.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:45 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
I find dispensers far more convenient than the tiny bottles. Courtyard selected good quality products too.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by twa777 View Post
It's a lot more eco-friendly that way (and I expect a lot more cost-friendly to the hotel as well).

It may take some times for Americans to get used to using a dispenser in the shower, but they're pretty common in some parts of Europe -- even in fairly high-end hotels. If it came down to it, I'd rather have a dispenser with high-quality bath products than mini bottles of something cheap.

For similar reasons, you'll probably see hotels trying to move to more bath gels and body washes rather than bar soaps too.
I found dispensers very common in hotels in Asia. It's simpler to use as well without having to break the seal on a new bottle/tube every day. That and heated toilet seats.

I agree, America always seems to be a step behind for conveniences like this.
Old Jan 30, 18, 4:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by twa777 View Post
(and I expect a lot more cost-friendly to the hotel as well)..
The toiletries cost next to nothing. I posted in another thread what Sysco lists them for, which is surely double the price that Marriott pays for the millions it buys.
Old Jan 30, 18, 4:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
Eh, I prefer that. The Aloft does it that way, too ... ya never run out.
Except it takes a leap of faith to trust that the housekeeper, who may or may not speak English, properly filled each bottle labeled 100% in English. Who's to say the body wash isn't the shampoo or vice versa? Plus, you have no idea whether some deviant guest before you tampered with the bottles and defiled them.
Old Jan 30, 18, 4:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What I think is most interesting about this is it would be an alignment of limited-service Starwood brand standards (Four Points, Aloft) and Marriott limited-service brand standards. Perhaps it's a cue of further alignment -- if not merger of some brands, as most assume Marriott's can't keep 30 brands going forward.
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:36 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Except it takes a leap of faith to trust that the housekeeper, who may or may not speak English, properly filled each bottle labeled 100% in English. Who's to say the body wash isn't the shampoo or vice versa? Plus, you have no idea whether some deviant guest before you tampered with the bottles and defiled them.
It's interesting, because one of the hotel GMs I talked to pointed out a similar issue in regards to housekeepers with limited English skills. To that extent, the miniature bottles have a slight variation between the shampoo/conditioner/body wash to differentiate, since it's also difficult for English speaking/reading housekeepers to keep them straight. These variations could be color of the letters, bottle colors, or graphical elements (e.g., location of the bee graphic, in the case of this hotel). The large bottles for refilling have Spanish translations.

As far as tampering goes, most of these containers are locked to prevent that exact scenario.
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
It's interesting, because one of the hotel GMs I talked to pointed out a similar issue in regards to housekeepers with limited English skills. To that extent, the miniature bottles have a slight variation between the shampoo/conditioner/body wash to differentiate, since it's also difficult for English speaking/reading housekeepers to keep them straight. These variations could be color of the letters, bottle colors, or graphical elements (e.g., location of the bee graphic, in the case of this hotel). The large bottles for refilling have Spanish translations.

As far as tampering goes, most of these containers are locked to prevent that exact scenario.
The Tea Tree brand dispensers, at least at the Courtyard Rosslyn, do not have a Spanish translation. The bottle is in English and French, the latter presumably because they are also used in French-speaking Canada. The font, colors and graphics are the same, too.
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
i realize that single bars of soaps, shampoos and conditioner are wasteful. That said I have stayed in many places that use dispensers. The downside with the dispenser is that you frequently encounter an empty or malfunctioning dispenser at the precise time you need it the most.
MSPeconomist and Velcromom like this.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5 Star
The dispensers are pretty much what I like least about the Aloft/Element brands (which are otherwise usually a decent value for the money). In my opinion, they connote cheapness and lack of attention to individual detail -- plus I'd rather have the bar of soap than that overly fragrant body wash.
Sweetone, IggySD and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
In sixth grade we had a pool party at the local country club. And I watched as a classmate defiled all the dispensers in the locker room. I think he’s in jail now. But those people are out there.
closecover and rufflesinc like this.
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:23 am

Quality of dispensed toiletries can vary wildly. As can those ducky little bottles lined up like gifts on the vanity.
Any who travels regularly in Europe and doesn't stay in American chain hotels exclusively brings their own shampoo and conditioner and especially a bar of soap.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread