Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Cairo, Egypt [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
6/4/21

Lobby butler - [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St Regis Cairo, Egypt [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:43 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Now says "December 2018".

I want to book this for a 3rd-6th January 2019 stay, that's why I've been keeping an eye on it. Currently have Cairo Marriott booked for my dates.
i wouldnt count on it.
nabeelj and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
i wouldnt count on it.
Lol yes, I had noticed the date has slipped many times for a few years now.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Lol yes, I had noticed the date has slipped many times for a few years now.
The owners are Qatari, I understand. Given the blockade with Egypt and other countries I date say this project is permanently on hold.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Category 5. Still showing Dec '18 as opening.

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...t-regis-cairo/

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Opening Feb’19 now
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:13 pm

I'll likely retire around 2040 or so, and am not holding my breath to book a party at this place...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I am currently in a (non Mariott) Egyptian hotel and the GM has stated that the authorities are withholding the operating licence because the StR has Qatari owners.

Apparently the property has been completed and ready for almost two years with a core staff force employed.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:31 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:01 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Opening April 2019 now.....
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I am currently in a (non Mariott) Egyptian hotel and the GM has stated that the authorities are withholding the operating licence because the StR has Qatari owners.

Apparently the property has been completed and ready for almost two years with a core staff force employed.
Originally Posted by Beano HK
Opening April 2019 now.....
Could that mean that someone anticipates an end to the boycott in April?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Could that mean that someone anticipates an end to the boycott in April?
More likely a hope a figure of sufficient amount has been agreed to make the ownership issues be overlooked. This sort of thing is more common and involves more new hotel openings in the region than many would think!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

So it seems "Lucky" from OMAAT is using my information for his credit card referral commission aka blog posts https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-cairo-delay/
oxfordjames and bhrubin like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:37 am

Opening April '19 (well, one hopes). Cat 5. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...t-regis-cairo/

"The St. Regis Cairo draws guests to the heart of Egypt's timeless metropolis, weaving a powerful new story of luxury in the region with unprecedented local heritage and outstanding views of the Nile and Old Cairo. The hotel stands as a pivotal landmark with its 36 stories, gracefully designed for those who are only inspired by the unexpected by the renowned architect Michael Graves. Paying homage to 366 lavishly appointed rooms, suites and upscale apartments, luxuriant comfort prevails with state-of-the-art facilities, signature rituals and 7 thoughtfully crafted restaurants and bars.Bespoke and personalized service is exemplified by the signature St. Regis Butler service, to anticipate your every need from the moment of unpacking to fulfilling your unique preferences and executing them in perfect detail throughout your stay. Whatever the request, St. Regis Butler Service is available with our compliments any time, day or night."

"Ideally situated on the border of Nile in the center of Cairo, while overlooking the historic landmarks of Zamalek Island, the hotel is within close walking distance to the Egyptian Museum, art galleries, and various recognized attractions."
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:38 am

Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Well this thread has depressed me somewhat. I'm planning a trip to Egypt (couple of days in Cairo either side of a week in Sharm) around May/June time. The Marriott wesite states 'opening June 2019' now but they still aren't taking bookings

What's the best alternative Marriott property in Cairo, assuming that the St Regis isn't open by then?

I have 40k points to burn for one of the nights in Cairo (the rest of the stay will be on HHonors points) so looks like I should be able to redeem at any of them for at least one night. Shoud I stay at the Ritz-Carlton? What about Marriott Mena House? I must admit that I like the idea of a pyramids view but overal quality is probably more important.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
Well this thread has depressed me somewhat. I'm planning a trip to Egypt (couple of days in Cairo either side of a week in Sharm) around May/June time. The Marriott wesite states 'opening June 2019' now but they still aren't taking bookings

What's the best alternative Marriott property in Cairo, assuming that the St Regis isn't open by then?

I have 40k points to burn for one of the nights in Cairo (the rest of the stay will be on HHonors points) so looks like I should be able to redeem at any of them for at least one night. Shoud I stay at the Ritz-Carlton? What about Marriott Mena House? I must admit that I like the idea of a pyramids view but overal quality is probably more important.
Cairo is HUGE, and you should choose by location, not hotel details. If you'll be spending the majority of your time in Giza, choose Mena House, for City Center choose Ritz-Carlton and for the Airport choose LeMeridien. Probably not the best thread for this discussion though ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.