Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Look No Further-Best Rate Guaranteed Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Look No Further-Best Rate Guaranteed Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:55 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Ok thanks everyone for the pointers. Guess the 24 hours seen in the T&Cs made better sense now for them "to lock" the current rates on their Website vs. Competitors and not be affected by price changes.

There goes my chance for 10,000 points since had 2 separate reservations.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by xar
Ok thanks everyone for the pointers. Guess the 24 hours seen in the T&Cs made better sense now for them "to lock" the current rates on their Website vs. Competitors and not be affected by price changes.

There goes my chance for 10,000 points since had 2 separate reservations.
Within 24 hours is reason I only book refundable rates.

I keep on checking and if I find a lower rate, file a claim and if accepted I then will cancel my original reservation.
xar likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Some of the sites I use for LNF are tax inclusive. Invariably, I get the following response "There is no supporting documentation as to specifically which taxes are included and therefore I cannot remove taxes from the rate." In some places, especially Asia, taxes can be 15-20%. If LNF is refusing to subtract the taxes from the rate, that leaves me with a net discount of 5-10% instead of 25%.

I've sent in screenshots to no avail. Has anyone ever succeeded in convincing the LNF team that "all in pricing" means taxes included?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Some of the sites I use for LNF are tax inclusive. Invariably, I get the following response "There is no supporting documentation as to specifically which taxes are included and therefore I cannot remove taxes from the rate." In some places, especially Asia, taxes can be 15-20%. If LNF is refusing to subtract the taxes from the rate, that leaves me with a net discount of 5-10% instead of 25%.

I've sent in screenshots to no avail. Has anyone ever succeeded in convincing the LNF team that "all in pricing" means taxes included?
I'm fighting that battle now. It took three attempts to get my LNF/BRG claim approved for the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. Now I'm fighting about the taxes and resort fee. In my initial claim, I noted the lower rate was all-inclusive. I subsequently provided a link and a screen snip highlighting "No hidden charges - All prices include government taxes and hotel service fees." I even provided what the pretax/pre-fee rate should be and included a gross-up calculation.

I'm awaiting a reply.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dayone
I'm fighting that battle now. It took three attempts to get my LNF/BRG claim approved for the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. Now I'm fighting about the taxes and resort fee. In my initial claim, I noted the lower rate was all-inclusive. I subsequently provided a link and a screen snip highlighting "No hidden charges - All prices include government taxes and hotel service fees." I even provided what the pretax/pre-fee rate should be and included a gross-up calculation.

I'm awaiting a reply.
yeah, they usually miss that. I have been quite successful with rebuttals when such language was present. Good luck.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:35 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
This entire "comparing the price before 'taxes and fees'" is disingenuous anyway. If they guarantee the cheapest place to book is on their own site, they should compare the final price, not some price stripped of "service charge" (which is really nothing else than room charge in disguise anyway) and taxes.
Does someone know what the argument for excluding taxes in the comparison is? Are taxes different depending through which channel you do the booking?
HTB.
porkie likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by htb
This entire "comparing the price before 'taxes and fees'" is disingenuous anyway. If they guarantee the cheapest place to book is on their own site, they should compare the final price, not some price stripped of "service charge" (which is really nothing else than room charge in disguise anyway) and taxes.
Does someone know what the argument for excluding taxes in the comparison is? Are taxes different depending through which channel you do the booking?
HTB.
it can work in your favor too. For example if there is a booking charge and other things that are hidden in the 'taxes' on the competing site ... they will just use the base price as a comparison.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
HTB.
This is the response I got when I challenged them with screen shots and a long detailed email.

I have reviewed your claim again and am unable to offer any further discount at this time. The comparison site does not list what taxes are included with the rate and shows no specific amount of tax being charged. Due to this I cannot remove any taxes from the given rate.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It's been like that when I was filing a claim for a hotel in Tokyo.

The only way you can win this is if the tax inclusive rate at OTA is cheaper than the tax exclusive rate at Marriott.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:51 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by azmojo
The idea, of course, is that Marriott isn't going to try to compete with price changes in the future. Their real guarantee is that you can't find a lower rate anywhere else RIGHT NOW. Your chance is Zero.

Why doesn't their rejection letter mention this? Probably just laziness and selecting the wrong form-letter reply, or they saw more than one reason (legit or not).
Hi all,

Just to update that my case has a semi-approved. Meaning that while i did not get the option of 5000 points or 20% discount, the LNF agent managed to get the property to amend my pre-paid booking and match the current lower rate.
The difference of rates will be refunded to me once my stay has been completed.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
It's been like that when I was filing a claim for a hotel in Tokyo.

The only way you can win this is if the tax inclusive rate at OTA is cheaper than the tax exclusive rate at Marriott.
That's not my definition of a win.
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Given the age of this thread and the merging of Marriott and Starwood, another thread has been started: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html
sdsearch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.