Switching Promotions

Old Sep 3, 09, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Switching Promotions

There are plenty of discussions about the ability for Plats to switch promotions in various threads, but I couldn't find the answer to my question.

The summer promo was the first time I ever called up and asked to switch promotions (I switched from the 3 stays/cat1-4 cert to the 20 nights/25k points).

I understand that they put a note in your account and go back and adjust manually at the end of the promotion, but does anyone know how long after the end of the promotion the points usually post? I'd just like to know when I should start following up, if the points don't post.

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 09, 6:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
For the few times I have "switched" promo versions, I took the initiative and called MR right at the end of the promo. The agent I talked with could see the note and made the changes right there while I was on the phone. ^ I can't remember if I actually saw the point within a few minutes or the next day, but it was one quick.
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:01 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'm actually in a similar situation to the OP, so here's one more data point. I had asked to change my promo for the summer megabonus before it started, and the points haven't posted yet. So, I called MR on Friday 9/11, and the agent said that he could tell someone was working on it... told me to give it a few more days...
Old Sep 13, 09, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If only I could switch from a visa to an Amex promo

IIRC it took less then a week for my points to post the last time I swapped promos.
Old Sep 14, 09, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsh101 View Post
I'm actually in a similar situation to the OP, so here's one more data point. I had asked to change my promo for the summer megabonus before it started, and the points haven't posted yet. So, I called MR on Friday 9/11, and the agent said that he could tell someone was working on it... told me to give it a few more days...
Just to let you know what happened on mine...

I called a few days ago, and was told the same thing you were. I was actually told that the agent could see that another agent had flagged it to return to it on the 10th, and that I should wait until then, which was no problem at all.

They hadn't posted by today, so I went ahead and called again. The agent I got today saw the same note, but he knew that the person that had originally flagged my account for follow-up had since left Marriott, which was evidently why it hadn't been done. He went ahead and deposited the points and removed the cert, while I was on the phone. He was, as always, very nice about it, and he had it done in just a few minutes.

So, anyawy, the reason mine weren't posting was because the person that was supposed to do it had left. If yours still haven't posted, you may want to follow up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: