Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consecutive Back-to-Back Reward Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott PP

I'm looking at planning a nice little vacation to get away from Chicago this winter. After waiting too long I find out the week I wanted to book at Marriott with points is no longer available (I didn't know you could book ahead of time doh!).

Anyways after playing around with the reservation tool I find out only the very last night of my stay is unavailable, the first five nights are still ok. I end up booking a five night stay followed by a one night stay with a $20 upgrade fee. The booking agent wanted me to book the entire thing as upgrade but this way I can save $100. I'm gold (will be platinum) so am hoping for, although not expecting, an upgrade.

As I understand it, the worst that can happen is I'll have to check out move rooms and check back in that second to last day. I'm prepared to do this to save the money. Has anyone done this before? Am I missing anything in T&C or otherwise wasting points? Do you think if I explain to the hotel desk upon checking they can change it to one six night stay?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
When you check in, let the front desk person know that you have two reservations. They can "connect" them and if available, they could give you an upgraded room for your entire stay.

Normally, if you are in the same room type for both reservations, then the hotel staff should be able to let you keep the same room for your complete stay. But since you have two different room types they may not be able to accomodate that.

Now, what I would suggest is to keep checking award availability for that last night. A base room award may open up. If it does, grab it. You can then cancel your upgraded room night. (I'm assuming the cancellation policy will allow you to cancel with no penalties.)

You can also contact the hotel's GM (call or email) and ask if they can help you out. They may be able to open up a base room for you on that last night, thus saving you the paid night. Or the GM may be willing to pre-upgrade your entire stay to the higher level room (or possibly even higher) without any extra charge to you. It is worth asking about at least.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice Hhoope, I'm already checking daily for availability and will try reaching out to GM when I make it to platinum shortly.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My experiences agree with hhoope01's advice. It's quite unlikely you'll have to change rooms unless you really want the last night upgrade to justify the $20.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Update - Availability opened up and I was able to cancel my current res for that one night with the upgrade attached and rebook all on one res at the base rate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.