Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Excessive Phone Hold Times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:43 am
Original Poster

I rarely have to call into the MR centre but when I do it's usually about fixing an error on my account.

This time was no different.

I tried last Thursday and the wait time was 12min. I didn't even bother to wait.

I'm on the phone now and it's been over 13min and I'm still waiting to talk to someone.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in hold times? Has Marriott laid people off?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Unfortunately 13 minutes is actually not too bad for the MR hotline...
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

My call was finally answered after 16min. (unacceptable) I don't ever recall waiting this long to get thru to the platinum line.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Like imverge, I rarely call the platinum line. On June 3rd at approx 4:45 PM ET, I called to have two back to back reservations combined. I waited less than 5 minutes to get an agent (probably was only two minutes). The agent was courteous and quickly and accurately completed my request.

In contrast, I originally called the property in question (Marriott Fairfax at Fair Oaks Mall) directly and had a longer wait time and got disconnected from the front desk before I could tell them my request. I tried calling back and it just rang with no answer. So I tried the platinum line next with good results as described above.

This case is typical of my platinum line experiences in general. So for me when I have needed them, they have been there with minimal waiting and able to fulfill my request. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Sorry, but even 5 minutes seems unacceptable to me for the platinum line. Over the years, whenever I've needed to call I've gotten connected immediately. Even now, when calling the platinum premier number, I've been placed on hold before getting a representative. This is not good...
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I called last night (for my second time ever). Phone was picked up within four rings. Explained my situation...transferred to someone else...that person picked up within ten seconds...explained my situation...put on hold while they called the hotel (which was the longest part of the call). Five or six minutes later my problem was resolved.

Perhaps it was a call late Saturday evening that the call went through so quickly...

Last edited by bitburgr; Jun 14, 2009 at 6:25 am Reason: wait...last night was Saturday...not Sunday
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I guess I've been pretty lucky so far. I can't recall ever waiting more than a few seconds for someone to pick up the phone, and I probably call on average once every couple of months.

I too agree that waiting even five minutes for someone to pickup the Platinum line is not acceptable.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:41 pm

I just called the gold number, which was programmed in my phone...they answered as soon as I entered my rewards number. I asked a question, then asked what the platinum phone number was so I could enter it in my phone for next time. Hung up and remembered I had another question. Called the platinum line...held for about a minute...maybe less...no big deal.

However, my point is that I do not think there is any difference in these two lines. I was not recognized by name after entering my account and the hold time was longer on the platinum line. It appears that they may have separate numbers but the same people answering both.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by wolfgame

....my point is that I do not think there is any difference in these two lines. I was not recognized by name after entering my account and the hold time was longer on the platinum line. It appears that they may have separate numbers but the same people answering both.
I've had a couple of occasions when I've called the "platinum line" and had the agent slip and start to say "Fairfield....or Courtyard" and then correct himself/herself. Oops.

So much for the big deal "exclusive" number.

That said, I've usually had pretty good experiences with regard to hold times. But there've been notable exceptions and I can usually detect when there's been what seem to be cost-cutting attempts.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Been on hold with the platinum line for over 40 minutes this morning to make a change to a reservation....what gives? Unacceptable.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
My guess is that the OP's reference to "MR" means he was calling Marriott Rewards (aka Guest Services). While it asks you for all kinds of stuff, including your Marriott Rewards number, it puts you in a general queue now and has since last fall.

The best method to get to the front of the queue is to call Plat reservations and have them connect you to Marriott Rewards (aka Guest Services).

See these threads for more info:

Phone menu HELL Feb 3, 2012

See posts 5-8 in this thread for details and Marriott Concierge response: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...mily-rate.html Nov 19, 2011

And also this thread two days ago: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ne-stinks.html

[Sarcasm]Another wonderful enhancement brought to you by the geniuses at Marriott.[/Sarcasm]
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Perhaps, or perhaps the Marriott lines are being impacted by the storms/power outages on the eastern seaboard - ie, they're trying to help people who are in properties with no power etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/30/us/ext...eat/index.html

From gleff's report, many hotels are affected.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18852761-post8.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
The last several times I have called wait times were 20 minutes or more. This is the most disappointing aspect of my switch to Marriott from Hilton as my primary hotel chain.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by den1k
The last several times I have called wait times were 20 minutes or more. This is the most disappointing aspect of my switch to Marriott from Hilton as my primary hotel chain.
Well, in non force majeure situations (which might be what MaineFlyer is encountering w/ his delay), I do what aaupgrade has suggested. I call the Plat reservations line & then have them transfer me to Marriott Rewards.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.