Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott in Caribbeans?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Marriott in Caribbeans?

I'm going to use my points for a 5 night stay in the Caribbean. I'm not really interested in 'party resorts' or 'sightseeing'. I just like the lap of luxury at a Resort and good beaches, pools, food at the resort. I like beachfront rooms. I've been researching all the websites of the Marriotts - but it's a bit overwhelming. Thought I would ask the Marriott world - people who have stayed there. THANKS for any suggestions.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think I've been to all but Curacao and Cancun, and I don't think I'd put any in the ultra-luxury category. If you're looking for that, RC is an option, but you'll probably only get 3 nights for the same points.

Of the ones I've been to, Aruba is probably the tops.

I suspect the Costa Rica properties may be up there - I haven't stayed at either of them and it's not really the Carribean, but the travel time isn't that different.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 4, 2009 at 5:13 pm
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As CPRich mentions, if you really want "luxury", then an RC would probably be better for you. I do believe quite a few of the RCs including the Cayman one currently has PointSaver Awards. That would put a 5 night award there at 150K points I do believe. And the Cayman RC truly is a "resort" and well worth it. ^
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas in December.

The main hotel was a little tired from what I saw of the guest floors (not much), but the lobby and public areas were nice. I was lucky enough to stay in a beachfront room at the Morningstar Resort.

Our room was nice--nothing spectacular, except the location--clean and in good repair. The room was literally 20 feet from the sand. Sat on my balcony in the morning and watched them re-arrange the chairs and umbrellas.

I wouldn't classify the resort as particularly luxury, but it was very nice. The beach was good (although a long walk from the main hotel), pools were fine. The food was good, for the most part. Only had one bad experience--a buffet for dinner one night was waaaaay over priced for what you got. There is one really upscale restaurant -- Havana Blue. Had a really nice dinner there, but not the amount of money you would probably want to spend every night.

You say you aren't much for sightseeing, but the hotel had a boat shuttle to downtown Charlottle Amalie. It was much faster than getting a cab and sitting it traffic, though the expense was about the same.

Would I go back? In an instant.

---Matt
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
The Marriott in St Thomas is indeed nice. Beach is good, but a hike. Facilities are good.
If you want either siteseeing, I would suggest going to St John's though.
Downtown Charlotte Amalie is geared toward the cruise ships.
I would check out Red Hook or Yacht Haven before downtown C.A.
But I would also second the idea of using the points on RC, if you really want to stay on property and have some luxury.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:13 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Agree not Marriott but RC

We have stayed at Aruba, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Cancun and St. Kitts (2 times). Aruba and Curacao beaches are good but neither are luxury. If I were doing Marriott and wanting a beach I would vote for Curacao it is a more interesting island. Eating on-site at any of the listed is really bad price performance.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I am a fan of RCs not Marriotts in the Caribbean. Stayed last November at Aruba Marriott...just an average hotel, nothing spectacular...beach is nice, location is good. By far the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman is a stunning property on a lovely beach. By far the best property in the Caribbean in the "Marriott" family...nothing compares to me.
And the best part is it almost always has pointsavers with which the new points system for Marriotts, well worth it...in fact, they are on pointsavers this quarter and 5 nights is only 150k points...well well worth is. I have it booked for the week of Thanksgiving and I cannot wait.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
I would rank them #1 Aruba, #2 St Kitts, then JW Cancun
Old Apr 8, 2009, 3:14 pm

Given #2 St. Kitts has a $125/night rate along with a Buy 3, Get 4th night Free deal going (includes a full breakfast for 2 each morning) and I have the $100 Stimulus coupon. That means essentially I have a $69/night rate. ^

So while I agree that the RCs would be better, I doubt I can find a similar rate at one of them.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
You may want to check out the Ocean Club side in Aruba; or I would have said the JW Cancun; but recent reports of no more beach access, probably eliminates it.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:13 pm

With regards to the Ritz Grand Cayman, will there be a lot of kids there from now - end of May? I would think no but not sure.

Also, has anyone had any luck when requesting club lounge access when using marriott points there?

Last edited by josh77; Apr 10, 2009 at 6:35 pm
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:41 pm

I have used points to stay at the Cayman RC and they won't give you lounge access unless you want to pay for it. They will allow you to "upgrade" your room to a club room for a per night charge.

As for the kids, the RC has a "quiet" pool for adults for those who want a more sedate environment. But even their main pool didn't seem to be over-run with kids though there were some there.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President Circle
I've stayed at almost all of them over the years and my favorite is by far

the Ritz in Ocho Rios. Great facility, service was fantastic, Ocho Rios was fun and much safer than you always hear. Food was incredible and some nice duty free in the center just a short walk down the street. And Jamaicans are a blast - wonderful, happy people!

Curacao and Aruba facilities are nice and the beaches are, in fact, very good. The entry to the Marriott Curacao at night w/the colored lights in the fountains is really spectacular! Both are very safe but definitely on the pricier side. Scuba Diving at both is really, really good!

The JW Cancun is a nice facility but the beach is aweful. Not much sand, lots of rocks and big waves. It's a pretty crazy party town so, if that's your bag, it will be good for you. I have young kids so that scene was not for me.

I thought the St. Thomas hotel was a hole - nasty, moldy rooms but that was a few years ago so it may have been upgraded since. The island sucks pretty bad too imo. Poor, poor, poor. Scuba diving was good but it was just depressing to me to be completely surrounded w/such economic misery. Didn't feel real safe a lot of the time either.

The Marriott Grand Cayman was just average to me. The reef balls out front are fun but not spectacular. They will be in a few years but coral doesn't grow overnight. Hotel was no big deal and the island is probably the most expensive in the Carribean. Scub diving and snorkleing is world class.

We just got home from a week at Marriott San Juan, PR. It's not fantastic but not bad, not bad at all. I did like the beach, restaurants and the people. Lot's to do in PR too. It's a unique mix of water front beach on one side and then a fairly cosmopolitan city on the other. The locals were great and a lot of fun. No diving to speak of.

Another nice hotel is the JW in Puerto Vallarta. We liked the facility and the service a bunch and the town was nice and fun. Scuba diving was bad - don't waste your time under water there.

Haven't been to Nevis or Costa Rica yet. One of them will be our next destination.

Have fun and be sure to let us know where you went and if you enjoyed it or not.

Fins Up!

Bill
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Ritz in Jamaica is Montego Bay not Ocho Rios...I am actually at the Los Suenos property now in Costa Rica...beach is awful but nice quiet golf resort with awesome pool. Prices here are really reasonable.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Airtran A+
Originally Posted by Big Red Bill
We just got home from a week at Marriott San Juan, PR. It's not fantastic but not bad, not bad at all. I did like the beach, restaurants and the people. Lot's to do in PR too. It's a unique mix of water front beach on one side and then a fairly cosmopolitan city on the other. The locals were great and a lot of fun. No diving to speak of.

Fins Up!

Bill
I will second the PR comments. I was there in November. Very nice hotel. Not often mentioned. Staff was very good. The hotel bar was a great spot to watch the locals Salsa dance. Upgraded me to a 4th floor ocean front room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.