Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Need - Buy MR Points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:13 pm
YYC
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Help Need - Buy MR Points

My current MR balance is about 7,000 points in short to book the 7-night Hawaiian hotel sampler around Christmas time in 09. I'm hoping to make the booking before Jan 15 when the MR points will be devalued.

MR website says it may take 24-48 hours to have the points posted, which means I might still have time to make the reservation if I purchase the points now.

My questions are:
1) How long does it take the points to post in real life? It would be meaningless if the points cannot be posted in time.
2) If reward inventory has run out around the time I requested, can I use the certificates at another time? Is there an expiry date?

Thanks so much for your suggestion.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by YYC
My current MR balance is about 7,000 points in short to book the 7-night Hawaiian hotel sampler around Christmas time in 09. I'm hoping to make the booking before Jan 15 when the MR points will be devalued.

MR website says it may take 24-48 hours to have the points posted, which means I might still have time to make the reservation if I purchase the points now.

My questions are:
1) How long does it take the points to post in real life? It would be meaningless if the points cannot be posted in time.
2) If reward inventory has run out around the time I requested, can I use the certificates at another time? Is there an expiry date?

Thanks so much for your suggestion.
I can answer the first question. It happens immediately because you click on the highlighted area on your reservation that says :

If you will not earn the points needed in time, you may purchase the additional points you need and order e-certificates.

Just fill in the number of points you need and give them a CC number.

Bobette
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott PLAT
I bought points last Thursday, and the points showed up the next day.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I bought points on Friday, they did not post Sat but were posted on Sun. I redeemed for a travel package on Monday and now down to 31 points. See ya later Marriott!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I just ordered the Hawaiian sampler yesterday and it shows an expiration date of January 11, 2010 in my email confirmation. If you do not use it by then they are no longer extending the expiration but you can return the certificates and get your points put back into your account.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Bobette, that works only for regular award res.es--not for the Hawaiian Sampler.
YYC, go go go! Buy those points tonight online! Or call MR tomorrow & say that U want a Hawaii Sampler--they may be able to sell U the points instantly.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:57 pm
YYC
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
A big thanks to all of you good folks for sharing your thoughts.

Just made the purchase of 7K points and will call in tomorrow for the Hawaii sampler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.