Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using discount codes without the documentation...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold

A few weeks ago, I read a thread on here with someone asking if they've ever used one of the promotion/discount/corporate codes available and what happened if you were asked for verification when checking in.

Well.

On 12/26, I was checking into the Marriott Marquis NYC. The guy next to me at reception was apparently trying to check in, having used an employee rate code. When asked to show documentation, he said he "forgot" his card.

The desk employee told him that they would need verification faxed over from the hotel he worked at. He asked if a copy of his information could be faxed from home. No dice. It had to come from the hotel to verify his employment status. If not, they would adjust his rate.

He eventually told the desk to forget about it and to adjust the rate. It went up substantially.

Talk about a sticky situation. I do not condone the use of codes that you are not entitled to use... it could get VERRRRRY expensive.

Just a word to the wise... and a witness account of what happens when you try to use codes that require documentation.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
I've seen it too....

Originally Posted by WalruSara
A few weeks ago, I read a thread on here with someone asking if they've ever used one of the promotion/discount/corporate codes available and what happened if you were asked for verification when checking in.

Well.

On 12/26, I was checking into the Marriott Marquis NYC. The guy next to me at reception was apparently trying to check in, having used an employee rate code. When asked to show documentation, he said he "forgot" his card.

The desk employee told him that they would need verification faxed over from the hotel he worked at. He asked if a copy of his information could be faxed from home. No dice. It had to come from the hotel to verify his employment status. If not, they would adjust his rate.

He eventually told the desk to forget about it and to adjust the rate. It went up substantially.

Talk about a sticky situation. I do not condone the use of codes that you are not entitled to use... it could get VERRRRRY expensive.

Just a word to the wise... and a witness account of what happens when you try to use codes that require documentation.

I've seen it a number of times. Mostly with the gov't code. There have been multiple times when the representatives have asked for gov't ID (they were obviously using a state/fed rate) and the customers didn't have squat. It is so funny to watch a customer get irrate about asking for gov't ID (like it is some sort of HIPAA violation or they don't have to prove who they say they are) start to squirm because they are obviously not entitled to it. Cracks me up.

I may have tried this 20 years ago...but when you get to be a certain age/maturity level, you don't even consider putting yourself through something so ridiculous as this....it's like trying to sneak into a bar before you are 21 and getting carded.

No thanks....I'd rather fork over the best price I can get on my own and not have to deal with something so juvenile and sneaky--and for what? To save a few bucks? If you can't afford to travel paying the amount that is offered to you, with whatever discount you deserve (AAA/AARP/etc.), then maybe you can't afford to stay at that location or chain.

I often see a code that is IBM. The discounts are great (I can at least try just to see what the amount is).....but I would never even for a second use it because I don't work for IBM or any thing that would even appear as such.

Dawn
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
About 10 years ago, 9 co-workers and I were asked for Gov't ID at the Sea-Tac Airport Marriott. We were working as contractors for the FEMA (feds) and the travel agent who booked the hotel did not check on the rate requirements. All we had was a letter from FEMA saying we were authorized to receive the government rate, and we were told that wouldn't suffice. I was not Platinum at the time, but one of my co-workers was. He tried to use his status to get us the rate, but it did not work. We were booked there for the week (Sun - Fri 10 X 5 = 50 revenue nights) and the MOD said the best rate he could offer was the corporate rate, which was almost double the gov't rate. Needless to say, we had to stay elsewhere. We were surprized that the MOD was willing to let that kind of room revenue plus the potential F&B revenue walk out. The next day the GM called my co-worker who was Platinum and tried to get us back, but we were at the Embassy Suites and didn't want to change hotels.

Now they are even more dilligent about the government rate and corporate rates. So if you are not entitled to use the rate, don't and you won't have any surprizes.

RIP...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I'm sorry I was not there to witness the discomfort. It was well deserved.

People using fraudulent discount rate codes drive up the rates that the honest people have to pay... or drive the hotel to trim the benefits that we cry about when we miss them.

I anticipate that I'll get a lot of self-serving, situational ethics rationalizations posted in response to this blunt assertion... but dishonesty is dishonesty... a single individual cheating a multinational corporation is still... cheating.

And FT should not, as it has in the past, facilitate this practice by condoning threads soliciting illicit rate codes, or asking for advice on how to successfully use such codes.

A MOD recently closed a thread where the OP was seeking assistance in defrauding a hotel. Unfortunately, since the thread was closed, I could not post to it to thank the MOD publicly... but I will do so now... KUDOS!

Fraudulent misrepresentation - Instance of false statement where (1) the party making the statement is aware that it is false or disregards the possibility of it being false, (2) the party making the statement does so to induce another party to enter into a contract, and (3) the other party enters the contract as a result of the statement and consequently suffers a loss.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
There have been a few threads in this forum about the ethics of using a discount code to which you are not entitled.

From other posts here, it appears that the NY Marriott Marquis appears to be more draconian than most about enforcing the use of those codes.

As a consultant, I frequently travel and stay in Marriott properties using my client's rate. I have been challenged only on a few occasions, but a simple explanation of my business and some documentation from the client has been sufficient.

Strangely enough, the AAA rate gets challenged the most even though it is only a token discount in most cases.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by keeton
...it appears that the NY Marriott Marquis appears to be more draconian than most about enforcing the use of those codes.
Bold added.
One traveler's "draconian" is another traveler's "vigilant"!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Absolutely--

Originally Posted by CJKatl
One traveler's "draconian" is another traveler's "vigilant"!
...so long as you are entitled to it.

If you don't belong to AAA, for example, why in the world would those benefits be extended to you. (Not you, personally.)

Rules are for everyone else.....

Dawn
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Well I may be in the minority, but I generally use corporate discount codes at hotels around the world for companies I do not work to get a lower discount. I have noticed that most times the corporate discount shows up as a standard corporate rate, and the desk agents have no clue (nor do they care) what company the discount is for.

While I think anyone stupid enough to try and use a marriott employee discount rate at a marriott hotel when they are not employed by marriott should have their rate increased. On the other hand, who cares if someone who works for IBM used a Citibank discount to lower their rate.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by SethLevy
Well I may be in the minority, but I generally use corporate discount codes at hotels around the world for companies I do not work to get a lower discount. I have noticed that most times the corporate discount shows up as a standard corporate rate, and the desk agents have no clue (nor do they care) what company the discount is for.

While I think anyone stupid enough to try and use a marriott employee discount rate at a marriott hotel when they are not employed by marriott should have their rate increased. On the other hand, who cares if someone who works for IBM used a Citibank discount to lower their rate.
it would be interesting to hear from someone working from behind the desk if this is indeed what they see; the reason I've asked is occasionally I've been asked the specific name of the place that I work
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I've used corp rates quite a few times over the year, but I can back them up if I get questioned. The most I've ever been asked is "Are you here on business?", which of course, "I am."

I would never touch a Marriott employee rate. Too risky. Unless, of course, a Marriott manager offers to type up a letter that will back up the employee rate (incidentally I've been offered that!)

HTSC
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Sounds like this person was trying to get a hotel employee rate. That's just plain stupid if you're not entitled to it.

However, as a Plat, if I get one ounce of grief from anybody regarding the corporate rates I've booked, I'm off to another hotel. They're free to ask and accept my business card and the name of the person that I'm working for or meeting wtih at my host company. If that's not good enough for them, I'm sure there's a Hilton down the street that would love my 75 nights a year.

I'm sure your average Elite is not out poking rates that they're not entitled to, so I think making a federal case about it with an Elite would be ridiculous with the possible exception of Gov't rates.

I've stayed many times in a SHS in downtown PIT that has a sign on the wall that says "anyone using corporate rates will be asked to show ID making them eligible for that rate." I've never been asked once.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Wow...Im at a loss for words here
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
it would be interesting to hear from someone working from behind the desk if this is indeed what they see; the reason I've asked is occasionally I've been asked the specific name of the place that I work
Depends on the brand you're talking about

Full Service hotels sell "Corporate" as their benchmark rate - it's quite rare to sell their "rack" rate

Select Service & Extended Stay hotels have their rack & corporate rates set the same

Note a "Corporate" rate is not the same things as a "Special Corporate" rate which would be assigned to a specific company such as IBM or Citibank-special corporate rates do need ID at check-in
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by socrates
Depends on the brand you're talking about

Full Service hotels sell "Corporate" as their benchmark rate - it's quite rare to sell their "rack" rate

Select Service & Extended Stay hotels have their rack & corporate rates set the same

Note a "Corporate" rate is not the same things as a "Special Corporate" rate which would be assigned to a specific company such as IBM or Citibank-special corporate rates do need ID at check-in
thanks Socrates; I was hoping for your input here

thanks also for the explanation as to how it works at FS vs SS/ES properties; that was interesting as i never knew that

I see that generic corp rate often which seemed to be a catch all that anyone can use > would that be correct (as opposed to Sp Corp)

so when you see a Special Corp rate pop up on your screen; do you see and lets use IBM since that is the example above.. do you see SP CORP = IBM or do you just see SP CORP period.

thanks
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
...who cares if someone who works for IBM used a Citibank discount to lower their rate.
If you use a rate that you are not eligible for its screws the ppl who are entitled to use that rate, if you take the last room available at that rate.

Also, it has been explained that too many people using a corporate rate actually hurts the company. For example, a given hotel manager might decide that to meet his nightly occupancy levels he needs to sell 5 more rooms on average per night. He might be willing to extend a discount to a company that needs 5 rooms per night. HOwever, he won't extend that special if the company needs 9 rooms per night on average because those extra 4 rooms would be sold at a higher rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.