Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:08 am

I'm spending a week in NYC in April with my parents. I have gold status and will use a travel package. Breakfast/lounge is nice but not a necessity. We've been there many times before so will skip typical touristy stuff other than parks and museums which we enjoy. Definitely want to avoid Times Square as well. So far I'm considering:

(1) Residence Inn Downtown/WTC: Cat 7 rooms are relatively spacious with queen beds and good reviews although immediate area is boring
(2) Courtyard Downtown/WTC: Cat 7 was able to book a Premium 1 WTC View, Larger Guest room, 2 Double, Corner room but reviews are not so great and immediate area is boring
(3) Courtyard Soho: Cat 8 location great location but otherwise unremarkable
(4) Renaissance Midtown: Cat 8 nicer hotel with lounge but room sizes seem on the smaller size
(5) JW Essex House: Cat 9 + 5k/night supplement most luxurious but many more points and they seem strict on elite + 1 lounge access

Currently leaning towards the RI Downtown/WTC or Ren Midtown but would appreciate other opinions/suggestions if people have them. Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I have only stayed in the Essex House out of all of those but I really enjoyed it. I expect they needed to do something with the lounge access because it was becoming way too crowded, especially at breakfast. It is a great location on Central Park South and convenient to shopping, transportation, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by quant88
I'm spending a week in NYC in April with my parents. I have gold status and will use a travel package. Breakfast/lounge is nice but not a necessity. We've been there many times before so will skip typical touristy stuff other than parks and museums which we enjoy. Definitely want to avoid Times Square as well. So far I'm considering:

(1) Residence Inn Downtown/WTC: Cat 7 rooms are relatively spacious with queen beds and good reviews although immediate area is boring
(2) Courtyard Downtown/WTC: Cat 7 was able to book a Premium 1 WTC View, Larger Guest room, 2 Double, Corner room but reviews are not so great and immediate area is boring
(4) Renaissance Midtown: Cat 8 nicer hotel with lounge but room sizes seem on the smaller size
(5) JW Essex House: Cat 9 + 5k/night supplement most luxurious but many more points and they seem strict on elite + 1 lounge access

Currently leaning towards the RI Downtown/WTC or Ren Midtown but would appreciate other opinions/suggestions if people have them. Thanks!
I really wanted to do the Renaissance Midtown because it is almost brand-new, but my colleagues wanted the J.W. Marriott Essex House as it overlooked Central Park. Plus, there were some affordable paid rates for the Renaissance Midtown whereas the J.W. Marriott Essex House's rates seemed to vary considerably with rooms on some nights well over $600.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

How many rooms and how many people per room are you considering?

How often will you return to your room(s) after leaving in the morning - really, how much time will you be in the room(s)?

Are you paying with points or cash?

Is free breakfast and/or MClub/Concierge Lounge important or are you willing to forgo these?

How mobile are your parents? Any younger kids travelling?

David
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I'm spending a week in NYC in April with my parents. ...
I'd say if are considering the World Trade Center area, you might want to consider the Marriott Downtown. I've had a number of really good stays there.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:18 am

Thanks for all the advice!

Originally Posted by DELee
How many rooms and how many people per room are you considering?

How often will you return to your room(s) after leaving in the morning - really, how much time will you be in the room(s)?

Are you paying with points or cash?

Is free breakfast and/or MClub/Concierge Lounge important or are you willing to forgo these?

How mobile are your parents? Any younger kids travelling?

David
Just myself and two parents who are in good health and enjoy walking. Planning to share one room using using a 7-night travel package. I guess we will probably go back once in the afternoon although might vary. Breakfast is not that important although a nice lounge to chill in would be a plus.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We've been there many times before so will skip typical touristy stuff other than parks and museums which we enjoy. Definitely want to avoid Times Square as well. So far I'm considering:
For me, it's important to consider which part of the city I'll be spending most of my time in. I've found that if I stay all the way down in the WTC area, but spend any considerable amount of time midtown or uptown, l get really tired of the long subway and/or uber/taxi rides. On a coming stay, I booked at Renaissance Midtown at a cost more than 2x the Conrad for precisely this reason.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The Ren Midtown is nice, the rooms are a bit on the smaller side but not ridiculously tiny. But if you have your whole family with you, note that the showers (at least, in the king rooms) are glass walled, you can see into them from the bedroom area. There's some frosting on the glass so it's not a total peep show but it still could be awkward. Perhaps the double queen rooms are different, I've been here three or four times but always in a King.

It's a good location for a family trip, you're right there at MSG, you can get anywhere pretty easily, the lounge is nice. It's one of my favorite properties in the city.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm interested in why you say the Courtyard Soho is unremarkable. The only feedback I can find on it is Tripadvisor where the reviews are largely positive. Very little on FT.

Also, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Courtyard Manhattan Central Park vs. the Residence Inn Manhattan Central Park. Going in February. I'm platinum so expect a decent room, though probably can't count on a corner.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I'm interested in why you say the Courtyard Soho is unremarkable. The only feedback I can find on it is Tripadvisor where the reviews are largely positive. Very little on FT.

Also, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Courtyard Manhattan Central Park vs. the Residence Inn Manhattan Central Park. Going in February. I'm platinum so expect a decent room, though probably can't count on a corner.
The Courtyard is on the lower floors (but still high), so the RI has ostensibly better (higher) views. Like all CY's and RI's, RI provide free
breakfast, CY does not. CY has the Bistro which can be accessed by RI guests, but CY guests cannot access the RI breakfast room (different keys).

We stayed at the RI, our bedroom was small but the kitchen/bathroom area (which was connected, weird) was pretty spacious. We did not have a corner but still had a great view to the south and west.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Breakfast is not that important although a nice lounge to chill in would be a plus.
The J.W. Marriott Essex House executive lounge is too small to "chill." It can get very overcrowded.

Plus, the staff are useless because of union contracts. For example, a lounge attendant cannot get a cup from the attached restaurant for coffee in the lounge nor can a waiter in the restaurant bring a cup from the restaurant to the lounge, due to the hotel's union contract. Only managers are allowed to do this. The same goes for attending to food, cleaning things up and so forth.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If you are looking for a lounge to "chill", the RICP has their breakfast room open all day - the area with the food is closed, but there are many tables, sofas, etc. available all the time. One time we got a take-out lunch (from the Soup Nazi 2 blocks away) and brought it back to eat. While we were there we saw someone conducting job interviews. So it's really a nice space to escape from your tiny room at any time. You might have to have them cleaning, vacuuming around you, but it's fine.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The J.W. Marriott Essex House executive lounge is too small to "chill." It can get very overcrowded.

Plus, the staff are useless because of union contracts. For example, a lounge attendant cannot get a cup from the attached restaurant for coffee in the lounge nor can a waiter in the restaurant bring a cup from the restaurant to the lounge, due to the hotel's union contract. Only managers are allowed to do this. The same goes for attending to food, cleaning things up and so forth.
You mean the same Essex House which offers probably the best free breakfast buffet of any Marriott in the U.S.? Yes, the staff is basically useless, but the breakfast itself is excellent.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by pvn
The Ren Midtown is nice, the rooms are a bit on the smaller side but not ridiculously tiny. But if you have your whole family with you, note that the showers (at least, in the king rooms) are glass walled, you can see into them from the bedroom area. There's some frosting on the glass so it's not a total peep show but it still could be awkward.
I read about this issue on Oyster but it says that it should be fixed by now https://sg.oyster.com/new-york-city/...midtown-hotel/. Maybe someone can confirm whether the privacy blinds have been installed or not?

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Rooms are of average size and limited facilities/elite benefits.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

We had the opposite experience.

I agree with lounge could get crowded but the staff did an excellent job keeping tables cleared and managing the crowds. For example, we were a party of three and every morning, the attendant found us a table for breakfast, rearranging tables and chairs to maximize guest seating. In the late afternoon, the attendant spoiled our son with various treats and sweets procured from the restaurant kitchen.

The breakfast buffet off the adjoining restaurant. The quality and selections were excellent and far, far, far above any other Marriott lounge I visited over the past several years.

We had a suite (can't remember the category) that was very large with a pullout sofa (perfect for our son) and a huge closet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.