Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
>Once you send them from Marriott to the airline they are permanent.

How so, since points can be transferred from airline to Marriott, so someone could just rinse, lather, repeat.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:49 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by JackE
>Once you send them from Marriott to the airline they are permanent.

How so, since points can be transferred from airline to Marriott, so someone could just rinse, lather, repeat.
Technically you can but you would loose a lot of value with the points.

What I meant is that they can't re-deposit those points back into your Marriott account like the can with the hotel certificates.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by t1c
Technically you can but you would loose a lot of value with the points.

What I meant is that they can't re-deposit those points back into your Marriott account like the can with the hotel certificates.
Actually, there is fractional value in doing so if you stay at a hotel for seven consecutive days.

Buy a Cat 5 Cert for 270k MR points and opt for United Airlines miles which gets you up to 132 UA miles.
Transfer those 132 UA miles back to MR and receive 132 MR points.
So for 7 Cat. 5 nights you essentially paid 138k MR points.
If you reserved the hotel with MR points outright it would have cost 6*25k MR points = 150k MR points (taking the 5th night free into account).
This way, you can save 12k MR points.

The 12k savings applies to all categories from Cat. 5 upwards.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:47 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by funkbandit
Actually, there is fractional value in doing so if you stay at a hotel for seven consecutive days.

Buy a Cat 5 Cert for 270k MR points and opt for United Airlines miles which gets you up to 132 UA miles.
So for 7 Cat. 5 nights you essentially paid 138k MR points.
If you reserved the hotel with MR points outright it would have cost 6*25k MR points = 150k MR points (taking the 5th night free into account).
This way, you can save 12k MR points.

The 12k savings applies to all categories from Cat. 5 upwards.
Yes your correct for hotel points. I was looking at it from the Airline miles perspective.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by JackE
Except each time you rinse and lather, you are emptying a large shampoo bottle, throwing away most of it, getting a capful back and having to buy a new bottle to repeat. It's not worth the hassle, not to mention the consequence should a Marriott agent look at your account when you are begging for the hotel points to be redeposited again and thinking you are trying to commit fraud. No account means you lose everything.

If it were a worthwhile endeavor, you'd see evidence of it on certain threads and boards.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
I thought there was a 50k per year limit for UA -> MR transfers?

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

*Convert up to 50,000 award miles into Marriott Rewards points each calendar year.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by edcho

True. I just typed this from the top of my head.

So this will not work well for those who want to boost their points balance quickly. But it may work for those who value lifetime status highly and are willing to sacrifice MR points to add 100k points (50k in 2017 and 50k in 2018) before the potential merger of the two programs.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by edcho

That limit can be increased if the transferee needs the points for a reward stay.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:22 pm
alc

Originally Posted by txpenny
That limit can be increased if the transferee needs the points for a reward stay.
Thought that is a hard limit for UA to Marriott Rewards. The exception was only for member to member transfer.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
My limit is apparently zero.

I tried transferring some miles and got this message early on in the process. This is my first attempted transfer, so no issue on bumping up against a 50K limit:

Hello Jack
Premier® Silver
MileagePlus® number: xxxx4116
Mileage balance: 23466

We're sorry - Our records indicate that you do not meet the eligibility requirements for this offer.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by stc
Yep, this. I'm at about 760 nights and only about 1.4 million points. At this rate I'll need about 950 nights before I get to 1.75 million points. Some of my extra nights where meetings and some were from the rewards card, but I don't think that counts for 200 extra nights. I've been a member for a long time and used to stay at cheap Courtyards among other things.
A few years back, I did some math based on my Marriott stays and came up with the conclusion that in order to meet the points thresholds, you needed to have Marriott status and pay with the Marriott credit card if you weren't staying in the higher end hotels much. I have 693 nights and only 930K points. One of my reasons is also that I spent a year in a executive apartment where I earned nights but not points. No lifetime status for me!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
A few years back, I did some math based on my Marriott stays and came up with the conclusion that in order to meet the points thresholds, you needed to have Marriott status and pay with the Marriott credit card if you weren't staying in the higher end hotels much. I have 693 nights and only 930K points. One of my reasons is also that I spent a year in a executive apartment where I earned nights but not points. No lifetime status for me!
I actually split my stays pretty evenly between mid-level (FS, Ren, a little JW) and lower-end (SHS, FI and some CY) and wound up in cheaper, small cities and big cities. I hit the money threshold within three stays of the night's threshold, having had the cc for only a year at that point and never used it to pay for work stays, which were my vast majority. This made me feel like you needed an average rate to hit LTP on both tallies at the same time. You could accelerate by using the cc, but it wasn't necessary. If you are going to achieve LTP, you would likely have status for most qualification years. That makes sense.

The math is pretty simple. Assume 76 nights per year, Platinum status, two nights per average stay. (Mine was one night average, others I know always do four, so adjust for your specifics.) There would be ~9k welcome gift points per year, splitting between the amounts for different property types. On a $150/night average stay, that's 151.5k points/yr or 13.2 years to LTP. On a $200/night average stay, that's 199k points/year or just over 10 years to LTP. I have definitely paid these rates for some urban SHS and FI properties, and have paid much less for some remote FS properties, but these rates are pretty average for what I've spent.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The math is pretty simple. Assume 76 nights per year, Platinum status, two nights per average stay. (Mine was one night average, others I know always do four, so adjust for your specifics.) There would be ~9k welcome gift points per year, splitting between the amounts for different property types. On a $150/night average stay, that's 151.5k points/yr or 13.2 years to LTP.
I don't follow your math. 76 nights * $150/night * (10 points/$ base + 5 points/$ platinum bonus) = 171k points. Add 9k points welcome gifts and the total is 180k, not 151.5k.

I also don't agree that it's pretty simple. Sure, the calculation above is simple, but reality is more complex. In addition to points from room charges and welcome gifts, any kind of frequent traveler is going to have some points from Marriott's periodic Megabonus promos. Travelers who stay at full-service properties will have some points from eligible dining charges, too. Then there's the effect of rollover nights. These don't impact points totals but they do mean elites can hit the LTP nights requirement faster. And finally, the credit card. Even travelers who don't charge MR stays to an MR credit card, e.g. because they must charge all business travel to a company card, can still find some value in holding the Chase MR Visa in exchange for the signup bonuses.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I don't follow your math. 76 nights * $150/night * (10 points/$ base + 5 points/$ platinum bonus) = 171k points. Add 9k points welcome gifts and the total is 180k, not 151.5k.

I also don't agree that it's pretty simple. Sure, the calculation above is simple, but reality is more complex. In addition to points from room charges and welcome gifts, any kind of frequent traveler is going to have some points from Marriott's periodic Megabonus promos. Travelers who stay at full-service properties will have some points from eligible dining charges, too. Then there's the effect of rollover nights. These don't impact points totals but they do mean elites can hit the LTP nights requirement faster. And finally, the credit card. Even travelers who don't charge MR stays to an MR credit card, e.g. because they must charge all business travel to a company card, can still find some value in holding the Chase MR Visa in exchange for the signup bonuses.
I should stop doing math late at night. I put in the wrong bonus. But yes, there are other variables, but the other variables lessen the time to Plat. My point is you don't have to have expensive nights to make LTP in around ten years. You just need to have average cost stays. All government rates or all very remote highway FIs, it's going to take longer, but average stays will get you to LTP after around ten years of average cost stays while being Plat.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by CJKatl
To the first part of your question, I cannot give any assurances that you are not nuts. To the second part, though, I can give assurance that the nights are being counted twice: once when you earn them in 2016 and a second time when they become rollover nights for 2017.
Wow, I must be nuts too! I never realized this was happening. It's a cool circumstance! Thanks for telling us about it.

Can you help me with something? Using my account detail below how many nights will rollover to 2018. I have 16 nights in the works for Sept and October.

Nights Detail

0 nights needed to renew Platinum level
Nights stayed85
Paid:84
Redeemed:1
Bonus nights45
Promotional:0
Rewards Credit Card:16
Rewarding Events:0
2016 rollover:29
2017 total View my activity information 130
Gold Lifetime Status
Nights729
Points3,559,285
Learn More

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.