Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Marriott ever do promotions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Does Marriott ever do promotions?

Besides the Megabonus, I RARELY see any promotions from Marriott...with SPG, and Hyatt, they are constantly running great promos...am I missing something?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Besides the Megabonus, I RARELY see any promotions from Marriott...with SPG, and Hyatt, they are constantly running great promos...am I missing something?
I think there's something just about every quarter. With the exception of the credit-card-specific Megabonus, which leaves me out, I always seem to be trying to determine which bonus to chase - MR or SPG.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Marriott does a lot of BB/PP (Bonus Bucks/Premium Pounds) promotions. While those don't necessarily increase your point accrual, they will decrease your money spent, so they tend to be favorably viewed. Plus Marriott tends to do a lot of "per hotel" bonuses as well. So when a hotel just opens or has a big change, Marriott may offer some extra points for a stay there. Or if Marriott is trying to get more persons to stay in a particular hotel or even region, they may throw in some points there as well.

Marriott has also recently been doing a lot of promos around the purchasing of their gift cards (i.e. 10% off, bonus points, free luggage, etc.) So you could save some money purchasing and using those.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
Marriott has a megabonus type of promotion in the spring and in the winter. The winter promotion involves visa and the spring promotion involves the amount of stays.

There are other promotions, but these are the main two that I remember each year.

In my case, I get 35,000 points for both promotions. If I sign up for the Marriott Visa card, I will receive 20,000 additional points for this year. Total points received for this year will be 90,000 promotional points. To me, that's quite a deal.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Actually, you could sign up for 3 Marriott Visa cards (Premier, Business, base personal) and receive 60K points. The Business and base personal cards have the 1st year free, so no real cost.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:55 am

As you state outside of MegaBonus, Marriott is not known for system wide promos like the other Hotel programs but they do offer quite a few individual bonuses and I try to compile the majority of them at:
www.frequentflyerbonuses.com/marriott.html
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
Superdawg, thanks for the link and info!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Besides Mega Bonus, the only promotion they are running is if you stay 75 nights a year they will give you a 30% bonus on the base MR points for each stay.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PourMeAnother
Besides Mega Bonus, the only promotion they are running is if you stay 75 nights a year they will give you a 30% bonus on the base MR points for each stay.
Of cause thats for your stays after getting to 75 the 1st time. Along the way after your 15th stay you get 20% and after your 50th you get 25%.

In other words these are the bonus pts based on ones Elite Level, and not a Promo in any sense of the word.

Most people think of a Promo as something extra beyond what normally is gotten. Since the 20-30% pts are based on Status its not a so called promo
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Marriott's best promotions are ongoing and/or very long-running, so aren't seeing them advertised often. FTers talk about them a lot though.

Anytime you see someone on this board talk about HPR, EEO, BB, PP, or Megabonus, they're talking about a Marriott promotion. Not to mention fairly regular and ongoing Marriott Gift Card promotions that can either discount every stay you do by 10% or add additional bonus points to your account. (Or allow you to eBay a bunch of red suitcases. )

Personally, I like the mix of points- and non-points-related promos. I have hit HPR about six times this year alone, and have 2 rooms booked under this promo for family visiting for holidays. I've completely lost track of how many PP/BB certs I've used this year. I was on a roll for a while where I was using one and earning one on every Marriott stay, although that's slowed down somewhat now.

The only catch is that we now expect all of these promos. In that sense, we no longer view them as typical "promotions" in the strictest definition of the word. When we perceive something as permanent, we treat it like a normal program feature and grumble mightily when/if it is altered in any way.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by bsdstone
You are not missing anything. There are very few point promos on Marriott and even the Megabonus sucks compared to what competition is offering.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:22 pm

hmm

well i'm getting the 2,500 megabonus tonight
a 20% off rate M11 rate
and the $50/$25 discount voucher for a springhill suites in herndon which is $59 (and which is available without the voucher for $55).
and the springhill suites breafast.

after taxes (and because i have a marriott credit card), that works out to 3550 points for $70 AND coupon to get my remaining stay from the megabonus promo for $25 off.

i would say that is pretty promotional
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by MrAOK
i would say that is pretty promotional
Never stayed at the Springhill Suites and never will.

Right now I am the a panoramic view suite @ Renaissance Hollywood & Highland.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 4:10 am

the springhills aren't my favorite. (hyatt place is much, much nicer). But for $54 to $59 (plus tax), 2,500 bonus points and a free breakfast, (plus another 1,000 from the actual stay), I can live with it.

I took my last marriott free stay in the j.r. marriott in Shanghai.

in the d.c. area, you can stay cheap in the suburbs, though this week is unusually cheap.

by the way, I've learned I may have wrongly described the $50/$25 coupon above. I now believe my one night stay gets me a $25 coupon good on a two night stay which probably means I wont use it and should have booked at the cheaper $54 rate. I booked at the $59 rate which includes the coupon.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: 1K, Life-Marriott Plat
superdawg- Thanks for the nice link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.