Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
Renaissance Hotels?

Does anyone know who owned these hotel before and was the name the same?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Many of them (but not all) used to be flagged as Ramada Renaissance. I say flagged because ownership of a hotel has nothing to do with the sign out front in many cases.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:41 pm

I specifically remember (because I stayed there when it was new) that the Parc 55 in SF (recently discontinued as a Renaissance franchise) began as one of the original Ramada Renaissances.

It was New World Hotels I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that acquired both the Renaissance Brand and Stouffer Hotels and Resorts and rebranded them as "Stouffer- Rennaisance" and then just plain "Renaissance" combing them into one entity combining them with the old Ramada Renaissance properties.

A partial list of the former Stouffer properties that now carry Renaissance id include the well-regarded Ren in Chicago, the Sanford Court Ren in SF, the Ren Concourses in Atlanta and Denver, the Ren Waverly in Atlanta, the Ren Wailea (Maui - and on the way out), the Ren in downtown Cleveland, the Ren Indian Wells Resort. the Ren Austin, TX. I also believe the Ren in NYC's Times Square began life as a Stouffer property.

I always regarded Stouffer's properties as superior to their one-time Marriott FS rivals (at least the ones I cited). Last time I stayed in one was the Stouffer Renaissance Waiohai on Poipu in Kaui a year before it was destroyed by hurricane Iniki. An absolutely gorgeous property and the wife and I really regret its loss.

I was most happy to when Marriott acquired the Renaissance brand.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
IME, when Ramada owned the Ren brand, most of them weren't that good. I remember the airport Ren at ATL and the Ren on County Line Road in Jackson, MS (now a Hilton) as being particularly miserable. In the Ramada days, the Parc 55 was the best of the Rens I encountered, and even that was unremarkable (although a decent enough hotel).

I agree that Marriott taking over the brand was definitely a good thing.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
That is very interesting information about which ones were former Stouffer hotels as many of my favorites are on that list...Times Square, Austin which I just visited this year, Stanford in Chicago and as you mentioned the ever popular Renaissnce on Wacker in Chicago.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
Thanks,

Overall they are a lot better than FS Marriotts
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler

Overall they are a lot better than FS Marriotts

Respectfully disagree....at least to a point. I think its a matter of personal taste. I think Rens tend to have more individuality or even "personality", but by and large, the product is quite similar....with similarly high quality.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

I can just comment on the ones that I have stayed, I have not stayed at a bad Ren yet, but serveral bad FS marriotts.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Another of my favorite Renaissance properties is the one in downtown nashville...anyone know if that was a Stouffers?
I will say based on my experience there are fewer bad ones than regular marriott FS. Overall I thinl Renaissance percentage of good to their total is better.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Renaissance Hotel

I have only stated at the Renaissance Hotel in Minneapolis, and far prefer the FS a few blocks away. This Renaissance had Coke instead of Pepsi (a plus) and had the worst toliet paper I have ever used in my life. Bring your own or be sore for hours on end (sorry for the pun).

Also, concierge level of Renaissance Hotel is weaker than FS Marriott. For example, no eggs at Renaissance Hotel (so said at least the hotel manager).

ZakkW
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:33 am

I've only stayed in two Rens, but I've liked them both.

The Schaumberg IL Renaissance is one of the finest hotels I've ever stayed in. Huge picture window, Flat screen HDTV, a hotel with considered architecture and STYLE. The CL seemed fine to me. Ate my oatmeal reading the Wall Street Journal and overlooking the flatlands. At night, enjoyed a fine cup of "Mighty Tea" and spoke with some fellow travelers.

The TV built into the bathroom mirror was an irritating novelty. Finally figured out how to turn it off...

In a few weeks, I'll be checking out the Kuala Lumpur Renaissance. Any tips?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

I really like the brand, I have stayed at about 10 Ren and have not had a bad experience yet. I choose them everytime in the US.

Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
IIRC, one of the specific things that the Stouffer Hotels that were constructed in the years just before the acquisition, was that Stouffer usually built their rooms with more square footage than those of its competitors. I do specifically remember that when it opened, the Stouffer Chicago (Wacker Dr.) boasted of having the largest hotel rooms of any business hotel in Chicago.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler
Does anyone know who owned these hotel before and was the name the same?
Renaissance can trace their roots back to Stouffer Hotels...over the years it has changed quite a bit and it is nothing like it was when MI originally purchased it (along with Renaissance Marriott also purchased Ramada International - very different than Ramada US...Marriott has since sold it to Wyndham Worldwide)
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rahmanbar
I specifically remember (because I stayed there when it was new) that the Parc 55 in SF (recently discontinued as a Renaissance franchise) began as one of the original Ramada Renaissances.

It was New World Hotels I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that acquired both the Renaissance Brand and Stouffer Hotels and Resorts and rebranded them as "Stouffer- Rennaisance" and then just plain "Renaissance" combing them into one entity combining them with the old Ramada Renaissance properties.

A partial list of the former Stouffer properties that now carry Renaissance id include the well-regarded Ren in Chicago, the Sanford Court Ren in SF, the Ren Concourses in Atlanta and Denver, the Ren Waverly in Atlanta, the Ren Wailea (Maui - and on the way out), the Ren in downtown Cleveland, the Ren Indian Wells Resort. the Ren Austin, TX. I also believe the Ren in NYC's Times Square began life as a Stouffer property.

I always regarded Stouffer's properties as superior to their one-time Marriott FS rivals (at least the ones I cited). Last time I stayed in one was the Stouffer Renaissance Waiohai on Poipu in Kaui a year before it was destroyed by hurricane Iniki. An absolutely gorgeous property and the wife and I really regret its loss.

I was most happy to when Marriott acquired the Renaissance brand.
Wow I'm impressed...very accurate, the only error was minor...the Parc joined Renaissance after MI purchased the brand and was never a Ramada-Renaissance...only a Renaissance)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.